Total Posts:25|Showing Posts:1-25
Jump to topic:

In Theory

lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:05:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Could you argue that Democrats are the party of democracy, while Republicans are (supposed to be at least) are the party of the republic.
Republicans, for the sake of argument, try to stick to the Constitutional Republic. While Democrats are for a majority rule not bound by the Constitution.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:08:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:05:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Could you argue that Democrats are the party of democracy, while Republicans are (supposed to be at least) are the party of the republic.
Republicans, for the sake of argument, try to stick to the Constitutional Republic. While Democrats are for a majority rule not bound by the Constitution.

I would agree only if the Democrats did not constantly shove minority policy down the throats of the Supreme Court.
Curious22
Posts: 9
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:39:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The Democratic Party works within a government which is a real world representation of the constitution. They don't seek to repeal or replace the constitution, and work within it's boundaries. Democratic politicians have no power beyond that defined by the constitution.
I disagree that Democrats or the Democrat Party wants a pure democracy to replace the Constitutional Republic, because I've not the heard or observed the DNC trying to undermine the nature of our Constitutional Republic.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:44:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:05:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Could you argue that Democrats are the party of democracy, while Republicans are (supposed to be at least) are the party of the republic.
Republicans, for the sake of argument, try to stick to the Constitutional Republic. While Democrats are for a majority rule not bound by the Constitution.:

They're just names. I don't place too much value in to either.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:47:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:39:36 PM, Curious22 wrote:
The Democratic Party works within a government which is a real world representation of the constitution. They don't seek to repeal or replace the constitution, and work within it's boundaries. Democratic politicians have no power beyond that defined by the constitution.
I disagree that Democrats or the Democrat Party wants a pure democracy to replace the Constitutional Republic, because I've not the heard or observed the DNC trying to undermine the nature of our Constitutional Republic.

The democrats do not adhere to the Constitution in anything more than procedural issues. They don't get rid of the Constitution because they don't have to, they find ways of false justification for their programs.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:55:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:47:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/22/2011 4:39:36 PM, Curious22 wrote:
The Democratic Party works within a government which is a real world representation of the constitution. They don't seek to repeal or replace the constitution, and work within it's boundaries. Democratic politicians have no power beyond that defined by the constitution.
I disagree that Democrats or the Democrat Party wants a pure democracy to replace the Constitutional Republic, because I've not the heard or observed the DNC trying to undermine the nature of our Constitutional Republic.

The democrats do not adhere to the Constitution in anything more than procedural issues. They don't get rid of the Constitution because they don't have to, they find ways of false justification for their programs.

Are you referring to the Interstate Commerce Clause?
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 4:59:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:55:48 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/22/2011 4:47:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/22/2011 4:39:36 PM, Curious22 wrote:
The Democratic Party works within a government which is a real world representation of the constitution. They don't seek to repeal or replace the constitution, and work within it's boundaries. Democratic politicians have no power beyond that defined by the constitution.
I disagree that Democrats or the Democrat Party wants a pure democracy to replace the Constitutional Republic, because I've not the heard or observed the DNC trying to undermine the nature of our Constitutional Republic.

The democrats do not adhere to the Constitution in anything more than procedural issues. They don't get rid of the Constitution because they don't have to, they find ways of false justification for their programs.

Are you referring to the Interstate Commerce Clause?

That with the Necessary and Proper Clause. The twisting of them have really made any constraining powers of the Constitution obsolete.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 5:13:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/22/2011 4:05:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Could you argue that Democrats are the party of democracy, while Republicans are (supposed to be at least) are the party of the republic.
Republicans, for the sake of argument, try to stick to the Constitutional Republic. While Democrats are for a majority rule not bound by the Constitution.

Not really.

A republic is a government form in which the people control the government (as opposed to a government which controls the people, like a dictator). This can be done through either a democracy or a representative government, but power, ultimately lies in the hands of the people. Once they pass that power onto something else (like voting away their ownership of the government, or having it taken from them), then it is no longer a republic.

while a democracy is more when the people ARE the government. They are suppose to take the responsibilities of doing the government's duties (as oppose to just being in control over it). This is way many republics are democracies, the people have the power, and are suppose to actively be using it (as opposed to having power, but just letting the government do its thing and only stepping in when needed).

I would say, though, that the Republican party is leaning more for a hands off republic (less active democracy), while the Democratic party is leaning more for a hands on republic (more active democracy).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 1:54:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Democracy is a simple majority rule.
Our republic is Democracy with a set of rules protecting us from mob rule and unlimited government.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 2:33:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 2:24:35 AM, FREEDO wrote:
Both are the party of Corporate Theocracy.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Sangers
Posts: 419
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 6:24:00 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 6:20:37 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
The Democratic Party was originally known as the Democratic-Republicans, so no.

Yeah... that's how it works generally. The progressive party generally becomes conservative when a new progressive party appears. In Australia, the right wing party is called the Liberal Party :D
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 10:35:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 6:20:37 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
The Democratic Party was originally known as the Democratic-Republicans, so no.

I'm not concerned with the past. You don't think democrats fall more in line with majority rule, while republicans adhere more to the constitution which our republic is based around.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 10:38:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 3:01:03 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Don't really care much about the theory. Put it into practice, and I'll tell you how good your theory is.

I'll get my micro nation running and then post a youtube video of the results for you.
But really what did I say that that makes you think there is something to put into practice, I expressed it as a way to look at the two parties.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:54:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
its not like the republicans are especially fond of the constitution either though... lol
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 11:57:43 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 10:35:38 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/23/2011 6:20:37 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
The Democratic Party was originally known as the Democratic-Republicans, so no.

I'm not concerned with the past. You don't think democrats fall more in line with majority rule, while republicans adhere more to the constitution which our republic is based around.

I believe you said "in theory." I answered, in theory, no, the Democrats support a republican form of government. In reality, I see little or no difference between the parties.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 12:09:46 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the Dems aren't trying to mess with your second amendment, the Republicans are trying to mess with your first.

I don't trust any of them. They all wear suits. I have an instant dislike for anyone wearing a suit.

*Bulging eye glare at Cody Franklin*
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 4:54:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 10:38:44 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 2/23/2011 3:01:03 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Don't really care much about the theory. Put it into practice, and I'll tell you how good your theory is.

I'll get my micro nation running and then post a youtube video of the results for you.
But really what did I say that that makes you think there is something to put into practice, I expressed it as a way to look at the two parties.

"In theory, party A is X and party B is Y" <-- This is what you're saying. In practice, it doesn't work that way, which means that the theory is wrong.
InsertNameHere
Posts: 15,699
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 4:56:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 6:24:00 AM, Sangers wrote:
At 2/23/2011 6:20:37 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
The Democratic Party was originally known as the Democratic-Republicans, so no.

Yeah... that's how it works generally. The progressive party generally becomes conservative when a new progressive party appears. In Australia, the right wing party is called the Liberal Party :D

The Liberal party here is pretty much centrist. That just proves that in different places political labels can take on different meanings.
Caramel
Posts: 855
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 5:09:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 12:09:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If the Dems aren't trying to mess with your second amendment, the Republicans are trying to mess with your first.


I don't trust any of them. They all wear suits. I have an instant dislike for anyone wearing a suit.

*Bulging eye glare at Cody Franklin*

Suits can be worn out of respect, they can be worn to look nice on a special night, they can be worn because one is forced, and they can be worn out of ambition. People who wear them out of ambition are typically going to be detached from some aspect of their soul.
no comment
belle
Posts: 4,113
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 5:14:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 5:09:08 PM, Caramel wrote:
At 2/23/2011 12:09:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If the Dems aren't trying to mess with your second amendment, the Republicans are trying to mess with your first.


I don't trust any of them. They all wear suits. I have an instant dislike for anyone wearing a suit.

*Bulging eye glare at Cody Franklin*

Suits can be worn out of respect, they can be worn to look nice on a special night, they can be worn because one is forced, and they can be worn out of ambition. People who wear them out of ambition are typically going to be detached from some aspect of their soul.

what if the ambition is to impress a hot girl who happens to have a thing for guys in suits?
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,324
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 5:15:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 5:14:18 PM, belle wrote:
At 2/23/2011 5:09:08 PM, Caramel wrote:
At 2/23/2011 12:09:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If the Dems aren't trying to mess with your second amendment, the Republicans are trying to mess with your first.


I don't trust any of them. They all wear suits. I have an instant dislike for anyone wearing a suit.

*Bulging eye glare at Cody Franklin*

Suits can be worn out of respect, they can be worn to look nice on a special night, they can be worn because one is forced, and they can be worn out of ambition. People who wear them out of ambition are typically going to be detached from some aspect of their soul.

what if the ambition is to impress a hot girl who happens to have a thing for guys in suits?

You can't trust those girls.
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2011 5:21:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 2/23/2011 5:09:08 PM, Caramel wrote:
At 2/23/2011 12:09:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If the Dems aren't trying to mess with your second amendment, the Republicans are trying to mess with your first.


I don't trust any of them. They all wear suits. I have an instant dislike for anyone wearing a suit.

*Bulging eye glare at Cody Franklin*

Suits can be worn out of respect

Yep.

they can be worn to look nice on a special night

Yep.

they can be worn because one is forced

Yep.

and they can be worn out of ambition

Yep.

People who wear them out of ambition are typically going to be detached from some aspect of their soul.

Paranoid stereotyping.

Also assumes the existence of souls. :P