Jump to topic:

Conservatives Have Stooped to a New Low

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 4:20:45 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Now there's this retarded super-Conservative store owner who is battling the evil Liberal conspiracy to promote multi-culturalism in America by changing fvcking food names and will not sell you a product if you don't call it his Americanized version of the name. (I heard this guy on talk radio tonight.)

For example:

Bratwurst: "German dog"

Taco: "Curled-up corn chip with meat shoved into it"

Hallah: "Jew bread"

Teriyaki sauce: "Japanese sauce"

This is no joke. These are the names that he actually expects his customers to refer to the food or else he won't sell it to you.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 5:23:29 AM
At 2/27/2011 4:20:45 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Now there's this retarded super-Conservative store owner who is battling the evil Liberal conspiracy to promote multi-culturalism in America by changing fvcking food names and will not sell you a product if you don't call it his Americanized version of the name. (I heard this guy on talk radio tonight.)

For example:

This is no joke. These are the names that he actually expects his customers to refer to the food or else he won't sell it to you.

Except for Jew bread (which sadly i find a little funny), i am not sure that this all that offensive, but maybe awkward in asking for it. Better than the politically correct double speak that i've grown accustomed to.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 5:27:08 AM

For example:

I'm no fan of political correctness, but this is absurd. Changing food names isn't going to do anything to stop multi-culturalism, what an idiot. That guy would hate Canada though, considering multi-culturalism is even more embraced and welcomed here than in America.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 5:38:20 AM
At 2/27/2011 5:23:29 AM, innomen wrote:
Except for Jew bread (which sadly i find a little funny), i am not sure that this all that offensive, but maybe awkward in asking for it. Better than the politically correct double speak that i've grown accustomed to.

It's not so much offensive as it is outright retarded, pathetic, and inconsequential. If anything, it's just an unnecessary hassle and the creation of a new, confusing, and retarded lingo.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 5:48:10 AM
At 2/27/2011 5:38:20 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/27/2011 5:23:29 AM, innomen wrote:

It's not so much offensive as it is outright retarded, pathetic, and inconsequential. If anything, it's just an unnecessary hassle and the creation of a new, confusing, and retarded lingo.

I don't know that one store owner making up some labels constitutes new lingo. I find the corruption of our language by the other side far more damaging. The very word "retarded" is an example. There was a time when it was a legitimate term, then it naturally became pejorative, and it was necessary to change it to (unsure of the current term for such people), but it simply means slow. There is accuracy in the term, but it is verboten now. - I don't like that.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 5:53:48 AM
New suggestions:

Lasagna: Guido pasta

Fish and chips: Redcoat fries

Ramen: Jap noodles

McDonald's Cheeseburger: Yank sandwich

Good luck getting him to approve that last one :\
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 6:02:58 AM
At 2/27/2011 5:53:48 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
New suggestions:

Fish and chips: Redcoat fries

Ramen: Jap noodles

McDonald's Cheeseburger: Yank sandwich

Good luck getting him to approve that last one :\

lol @ Guido pasta and yank sandwich.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 6:08:06 AM
At 2/27/2011 5:48:10 AM, innomen wrote:

I don't know that one store owner making up some labels constitutes new lingo. I find the corruption of our language by the other side far more damaging.

Who corrupted are language? You think "Teriyaki sauce" is a corruption of our language? It's their flippin word! Besides, the English language is so fvcked up to begin with, idk how other cultures could make it worse. If anything, they're helping us out, cause when we run out of words, we start using the same words again to mean different things: to, two, too, march, March, wear, where, their, they're, there, for, four.

The very word "retarded" is an example. There was a time when it was a legitimate term, then it naturally became pejorative, and it was necessary to change it to (unsure of the current term for such people), but it simply means slow. There is accuracy in the term, but it is verboten now. - I don't like that.

Uh, that's slang, not an alteration to the English language.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 6:13:26 AM
At 2/27/2011 5:53:48 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
New suggestions:

But those aren't American words according to Conservatives! lol

They'd have to call it "Tan Italian meathead, flour-egg strings."

Remember, "Taco" is "curled up corn chip with meat shoved into it."
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 6:36:33 AM
At 2/27/2011 6:08:06 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/27/2011 5:48:10 AM, innomen wrote:

I don't know that one store owner making up some labels constitutes new lingo. I find the corruption of our language by the other side far more damaging.

Who corrupted are language? You think "Teriyaki sauce" is a corruption of our language? It's their flippin word! Besides, the English language is so fvcked up to begin with, idk how other cultures could make it worse. If anything, they're helping us out, cause when we run out of words, we start using the same words again to mean different things: to, two, too, march, March, wear, where, their, they're, there, for, four.

My goodness. You need to learn some etymology. I speak of politically correct speech which is that Orwellian distortion to our language http://en.wikipedia.org..., not the actual language.

The very word "retarded" is an example. There was a time when it was a legitimate term, then it naturally became pejorative, and it was necessary to change it to (unsure of the current term for such people), but it simply means slow. There is accuracy in the term, but it is verboten now. - I don't like that.

It wasn't always simply slang, it was an accurate word for - i think the current term is- developmentally challenged people.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:27:25 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:18:31 AM, Nags wrote:
conservatism =/= nationalism

Just saying.

The man was a self-ascribed Conservative. Obviously he expresses nationalist views, but it also correlates with the Conservative desire to maintain "traditional American values" and culture.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:31:35 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:27:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 2/27/2011 7:18:31 AM, Nags wrote:
conservatism =/= nationalism

Just saying.

The man was a self-ascribed Conservative. Obviously he expresses nationalist views, but it also correlates with the Conservative desire to maintain "traditional American values" and culture.

Fair enough, though I still think the title of this thread is misleading. One conservative exhibiting nationalistic views doesn't mean that all other conservatives believe the same thing -- though I wouldn't be surprised if that actually were the case.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:43:19 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:34:28 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
So he's renaming his food. Who cares?

People who don't want to deal with bigoted a$$holes.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:43:40 AM

Exactly. His efforts are worthless because they are over something miniscule, yet he actually feels like he's making a difference and defeating multiculturalism when really it's just annoying people or making himself a laughingstock.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:47:36 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:31:35 AM, Nags wrote:
though I still think the title of this thread is misleading. One conservative exhibiting nationalistic views doesn't mean that all other conservatives believe the same thing -- though I wouldn't be surprised if that actually were the case.

True, he certainly doesn't represent all Conservatives, though his minority view is actually derived from a major Conservative view held by many which is a hard stance against multi-culturalism (EVERY Conservative would be devastated, and some already are, if Obama turned out to be a Muslim from Kenya). So really, this fringe-nut's views actually follow from mainline Conservative views.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:51:43 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:43:40 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Exactly. His efforts are worthless because they are over something miniscule, yet he actually feels like he's making a difference and defeating multiculturalism when really it's just annoying people or making himself a laughingstock.
Let him be. It's not like you can choose to rename something.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 7:53:11 AM
At 2/27/2011 7:47:36 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
though I still think the title of this thread is misleading. One conservative exhibiting nationalistic views doesn't mean that all other conservatives believe the same thing -- though I wouldn't be surprised if that actually were the case.

True, he certainly doesn't represent all Conservatives, though his minority view is actually derived from a major Conservative view held by many which is a hard stance against multi-culturalism (EVERY Conservative would be devastated, and some already are, if Obama turned out to be a Muslim from Kenya). So really, this fringe-nut's views actually follow from mainline Conservative views.

True, I agree with this.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 9:18:54 AM

For example:

This is no joke. These are the names that he actually expects his customers to refer to the food or else he won't sell it to you.:

Do you have a link?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 12:17:16 PM

Yeah, because liberal democrats can't be bigoted. What a bunch of crap. You need to check out South Boston, tons of bigoted a$$holes all probably still with their Ted Kennedy signs in their windows.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 12:22:15 PM
At 2/27/2011 12:17:16 PM, innomen wrote:

Yeah, because liberal democrats can't be bigoted. What a bunch of crap. You need to check out South Boston, tons of bigoted a$$holes all probably still with their Ted Kennedy signs in their windows.

I think I am gonna go with Mr. Innomen on this one. I think, especially with the ridiculousness with the names, that it is really just a frustrated satire on political speech. If it is bigoted, it is likely it reported that way for ratings.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 12:29:02 PM

LOL
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 1:06:15 PM

It wasn't always simply slang, it was an accurate word for - i think the current term is- developmentally challenged people.

Geo sometimes you need to slow down for a minute and realize everything isn't a challenge to your beliefs. Innoman is trying to explain to you why euphemistic language is destroying our ability to communicate. Yes, the left is responsible for the bulk of the damage in this area.

The word 'retarded' means slowed. There is no nicer thing to call an autistic person than a retard. I would imagine it was applied euphemistically in the beginning for just that reason. At some point the word 'retarded' itself became stigmatized, but this wasn't because it was a harsh label, it was because retarded people are uncomfortable for us to deal with. Any term we label them with that catches on is therefore going to become stigmatized and call for further euphemistic engineering of our terminology. "Autistic" is about as abstruse as you can get without simply making the term so long and clumsy that we can't use it at all, which keeps it out of children's mouths and out of the... mischevious vernacular of people wishing to use words as tools to belittle.

The problem with this is that when our language changes, so does our culture. Despite revolutions in civil rights that have occurred in the last two centuries, offenses to humanity can still exist because of changes to our language and hence our ideas (C). Things like "greed" and "ambition," well-understood in the past as vices, are now considered positive attributes to strive for. "Consumerism" is considered a positive thing as well, where in the past it was used to describe the actions of parasitism; waste and destruction. So it's no surprise when I come out in attack against our values and am totally misunderstood - the definitions of the words I use are different than the words that you use. Maybe instead of arguing theories on DDO we should just defend our vocabularies!
no comment
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 1:10:17 PM
At 2/27/2011 1:06:15 PM, Caramel wrote:

Geo sometimes you need to slow down for a minute and realize everything isn't a challenge to your beliefs. Innoman is trying to explain to you why euphemistic language is destroying our ability to communicate. Yes, the left is responsible for the bulk of the damage in this area.

The word 'retarded' means slowed. There is no nicer thing to call an autistic person than a retard. I would imagine it was applied euphemistically in the beginning for just that reason. At some point the word 'retarded' itself became stigmatized, but this wasn't because it was a harsh label, it was because retarded people are uncomfortable for us to deal with. Any term we label them with that catches on is therefore going to become stigmatized and call for further euphemistic engineering of our terminology. "Autistic" is about as abstruse as you can get without simply making the term so long and clumsy that we can't use it at all, which keeps it out of children's mouths and out of the... mischevious vernacular of people wishing to use words as tools to belittle.

The problem with this is that when our language changes, so does our culture. Despite revolutions in civil rights that have occurred in the last two centuries, offenses to humanity can still exist because of changes to our language and hence our ideas (C). Things like "greed" and "ambition," well-understood in the past as vices, are now considered positive attributes to strive for. "Consumerism" is considered a positive thing as well, where in the past it was used to describe the actions of parasitism; waste and destruction. So it's no surprise when I come out in attack against our values and am totally misunderstood - the definitions of the words I use are different than the words that you use. Maybe instead of arguing theories on DDO we should just defend our vocabularies!

I have a new-found respect for you Caramel! What brought this about!!??!
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 1:12:57 PM
At 2/27/2011 1:06:15 PM, Caramel wrote:

Also, whatever we change a word to, in hopes of political correctness, is just going to become stigmatized later.

Example, n!gger -> negro -> black -> african american
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 2:16:25 PM
This is off topic a bit, but I really hate it when people refer to black people who aren't from America as "African Americans." The term is ridiculous anyway: most black people living in America have ancestors who were here hundreds of years before my 'ancestors' arrived, but nobody calls me a "European American."
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 2:26:44 PM
At 2/27/2011 2:16:25 PM, Grape wrote:
This is off topic a bit, but I really hate it when people refer to black people who aren't from America as "African Americans." The term is ridiculous anyway: most black people living in America have ancestors who were here hundreds of years before my 'ancestors' arrived, but nobody calls me a "European American."

The term reflects much more on the unique culture in America and not on ancestry. There was a movement in the 70's to go back to African roots, but from what I see at present day, it defines the cumulative experiences and struggles of Black Citizens in America.
Oh, and I am as white as a saltine cracker, so I may not be representing a typical African-American properly.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 2:46:13 PM
At 2/27/2011 2:26:44 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 2/27/2011 2:16:25 PM, Grape wrote:

The term reflects much more on the unique culture in America and not on ancestry. There was a movement in the 70's to go back to African roots, but from what I see at present day, it defines the cumulative experiences and struggles of Black Citizens in America.
Oh, and I am as white as a saltine cracker, so I may not be representing a typical African-American properly.

Sure, I have no doubt that there is a uniquely African-American viewpoint. That is precisely the problem I have with using it to describe all people of African descent. Black people in Europe are not a part of that culture, black people who came to American recently are not a part of that culture, etc.

I also think that the glorification of "the African American experience" comes from the out-group fascination that some liberals have. It's just as irrational and polarizing as the out-group hatred of some conservatives. Every ethnic group has its struggles and experiences, and none are more or less important than others.

If we have to be sensitive toward black people and start calling them 'African American" then I demand to be called "European American." The fact that people won't do that shows the exact problem: I'm not a European American or even a white American, people just see me as an "American."

There isn't an A, B, C, categorization of people, there's an A, ~A. We have Americans and African Americans, we have men and women, etc. This denies something to both groups: it assumes the A group has no special identity and it assumes that the ~A group can only be understood in terms of the A group. Conservatives focus on the first problem and ignore the second, liberals focus on the second problem and ignore the first. Both fail to see the actual issue.