Jump to topic:

There should be an American History Month

Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 7:32:05 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This isn't the first idea of someone saying this, perhaps on this website it is, but I am still curious with this fact, why are we celebrating a racist month every February? With February coming to an end I have not been more happy. Before we all start yelling insults here, I would like to simply talk about the issue; ending African American History Month and/or Black History Month.

At the local public school that I currently attend to, I notice that they will play several rap songs over the intercom and then try to persuade us that its somehow associated with African American history. I don't know about you guys, but if they are willing to openly play music like that without people objecting, don't you think you can somehow see that at a Presidential African American history meeting, that rap will be played there? I find this disgusting. To date I haven't heard one rap song that hasn't sworn or made some reference to drugs. The music genre also degrades women. Also, the most popular of rap singers such as Lil Wayne or Eminem have had numerous violence and drug charges charged against them.

Just the very notion of African American history month gets me a little ecstatic. What about the contributions of Asian Americans? European Americans? Just about every kind of American except an African American? Where is the month that honors what these people have put into America? Why don't we honor them? What makes African Americans so special that they get their own month? Let's not FORGET the American Indians!

This month is racist and flat out discriminatory towards every other kind of American that doesn't self associate him/herself with being African American. We shouldn't allow and/or celebrate any racist months. I find it interesting that organizations such as the NAACP are so quick to condemn any racism towards African Americans, but they support racism that they think is "positive" or more progressive in their eyes, such as affirmative action.

I also find it interesting that a lot of people say that Obama isn't racist. Hmm......both him and Michelle Obama attended an African American history month meeting. I would say that doesn't automatically make him racist, but it hints him towards that way. Especially whenever a lot of Republican politicians do something that is far less and yet they are accused of racism.

Perhaps the way to solve this problem is to have an AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH. Let us not discriminate between the differences of what Americans have accomplished, and therefore honor what all Americans have contributed to America. If people still want an African American and/or Black History month still in place, well I think that we should have a European American History month. In fact, I would say that European Americans and/or White Americans have contributed a lot more to America than any other group of Americans.
(And I know that some people here will say that we have all the rest of the months. That is a lie. I find this interesting considering that no one celebrates and/or talks about European American history month throughout the other 11 months. Its also never talked about publicly, and if it was, that person would automatically be considered racist. Why do you say? Two words; Political Correctness.)

I'm intrigued to hear what everyone has to say about this subject.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 7:55:42 AM
At 2/28/2011 7:32:05 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
In fact, I would say that European Americans and/or White Americans have contributed a lot more to America than any other group of Americans.

And that's why you learn only about their history the other 11 months of the year?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 7:58:35 AM
I don't know anyone who "celebrates" black history month lol. Like you said, they play some rap music and that's pretty much it. I didn't learn about black history at all in school, despite schools supposedly "celebrating" it. I didn't know "black Americans" were American until the 10th grade...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:07:23 AM
At 2/28/2011 7:32:05 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Just the very notion of African American history month gets me a little ecstatic. What about the contributions of Asian Americans?

You're aware that there is an Asian American month, right? They just don't publicize it that much.

European Americans?

That's called every month.

Just about every kind of American except an African American?

There's also Latino/as month, women's month....etc.

Where is the month that honors what these people have put into America? Why don't we honor them? What makes African Americans so special that they get their own month? Let's not FORGET the American Indians!

They also have that.

Perhaps the way to solve this problem is to have an AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH. Let us not discriminate between the differences of what Americans have accomplished, and therefore honor what all Americans have contributed to America. If people still want an African American and/or Black History month still in place, well I think that we should have a European American History month. In fact, I would say that European Americans and/or White Americans have contributed a lot more to America than any other group of Americans.
(And I know that some people here will say that we have all the rest of the months. That is a lie. I find this interesting considering that no one celebrates and/or talks about European American history month throughout the other 11 months. Its also never talked about publicly, and if it was, that person would automatically be considered racist. Why do you say? Two words; Political Correctness.)

Um, it's implicitly assumed.

I'm intrigued to hear what everyone has to say about this subject.

I'm still waiting for you to complain about why there is no White Entertainment Television.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:15:49 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:07:23 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

I'm still waiting for you to complain about why there is no White Entertainment Television.

Because "Wet" sounds terrible :p
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:18:26 AM

If it's not wrong to have Black Entertainment Television, would White Entertainment Television be wrong?...

It's like Spike and Lifetime. If both exist, neither can be considered sexist.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:18:49 AM
At 2/28/2011 7:55:42 AM, nonentity wrote:
And that's why you learn only about their history the other 11 months of the year?

LOL!

To continue PCP's point, there's also a WOMEN'S History Month (March).
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:20:40 AM

http://www.cmt.com...
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:24:34 AM
People are funny lol. Waaah you don't get your own history month waaah. Instead you just have your white male privilege. Boo hoo. I feel so sorry for you...
President of DDO
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:30:19 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:20:40 AM, Danielle wrote:

http://www.cmt.com...

lol didn't even think of that XD nice
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:33:18 AM
I'm intrigued to hear what everyone has to say about this subject.:

All "pride" events centered around things you have no control over are stupid in my opinion. I think they are inherently divisive, for precisely what you stated about European Americans contributing more to American society. What both you and the PC Police unwittingly do is compartmentalize, creating this Us vs Them atmosphere.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:41:54 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:33:18 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

All "pride" events centered around things you have no control over are stupid in my opinion. I think they are inherently divisive, for precisely what you stated about European Americans contributing more to American society. What both you and the PC Police unwittingly do is compartmentalize, creating this Us vs Them atmosphere.

But the point of such things is to promote appreciation and acceptance, not disdain for another group.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 8:58:17 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:41:54 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
But the point of such things is to promote appreciation and acceptance, not disdain for another group.

I know. Thy just can't give black people their history month. God forbid. I mean as people have been saying - it's not even a big deal. So you learn about Frederick Douglass in school. Oh no! White people - quick! Start making a big deal about this racist month. Seriously white people are hilarious. They had all this time of slavery and segregation and apartheid and then the second black people get a friggin "history month" it's like ZOMG NO THAT'S RACIST WE CAN'T HAVE RACISM PFFT RACISM PFFFTTTTTT WE CAN'T LEAVE WHITE PEOPLE OUT!!!!!u*@&#z!#
President of DDO
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:02:53 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:18:49 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/28/2011 7:55:42 AM, nonentity wrote:

LOL!

To continue PCP's point, there's also a WOMEN'S History Month (March).

Clearly there needs to be a MEN's History Month to counter-balance this sexism. Let's forget the fact a male point of view already pervades this society (and nearly every one on earth) and is implicitly assumed as the general outlook for dang near anything.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:07:50 AM
At 2/28/2011 8:58:17 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 2/28/2011 8:41:54 AM, jmar8542 wrote:

I know. Thy just can't give black people their history month. God forbid. I mean as people have been saying - it's not even a big deal. So you learn about Frederick Douglass in school. Oh no! White people - quick! Start making a big deal about this racist month. Seriously white people are hilarious. They had all this time of slavery and segregation and apartheid and then the second black people get a friggin "history month" it's like ZOMG NO THAT'S RACIST WE CAN'T HAVE RACISM PFFT RACISM PFFFTTTTTT WE CAN'T LEAVE WHITE PEOPLE OUT!!!!!u*@&#z!#

...you do realize why the OP thinks it's racist, right?..
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:17:22 AM
Maybe I've just misunderstood it :P
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:20:05 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:07:50 AM, jmar8542 wrote:

The point is, black history month shouldn't be necessary. It would be great if history classes in elementary school and high school covered the contributions of everybody to North America. But they don't. In that sense, I agree with the OP in that there should be an American History Month. But his little tirade at the end was kind of dumb.
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:23:18 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:20:05 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/28/2011 9:07:50 AM, jmar8542 wrote:

The point is, black history month shouldn't be necessary. It would be great if history classes in elementary school and high school covered the contributions of everybody to North America. But they don't. In that sense, I agree with the OP in that there should be an American History Month. But his little tirade at the end was kind of dumb.

Exactly...that's the message I got from it. But Danielle's basically being racist towards whites :P
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:27:30 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:23:18 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
Exactly...that's the message I got from it. But Danielle's basically being racist towards whites :P

Lol you caught me! I hate white people :P
President of DDO
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:28:22 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:27:30 AM, Danielle wrote:

lmao Danielle's secretly a black man. That's why she won't Skype with me :p
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:30:29 AM

Problem is...why is that acceptable nowadays? Some of my friends use white slurs and rag on whites all the time. But the second anyone says anything bad about any of the "minorities", they freak out.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:32:54 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:30:29 AM, jmar8542 wrote:

Problem is...why is that acceptable nowadays? Some of my friends use white slurs and rag on whites all the time. But the second anyone says anything bad about any of the "minorities", they freak out.

If your friends are white, that's probably why. People self-deprecate all the time. "I'm soo ugly", "I'm soo fat" but as soon as you agree with them they have a problem lol
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:32:54 AM
Oh sh!t...Danielle, I got your profile mixed with someone else's. I thought you were black. XD
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:33:12 AM

Go P_L, for hitting it on the head.. As usual.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:33:54 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:33:12 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Go P_L, for hitting it on the head.. As usual.

Yeah, disagree completely.
President of DDO
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:34:13 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:32:54 AM, nonentity wrote:

If your friends are white, that's probably why. People self-deprecate all the time. "I'm soo ugly", "I'm soo fat" but as soon as you agree with them they have a problem lol

Two are hispanic, two are black, and one's asian.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:36:09 AM
But the point of such things is to promote appreciation and acceptance, not disdain for another group.:

I know what the premise is, I know there's only good intentions behind it. I just think it's stupid and divisive, even if that's not what's intended.

Morgan Freeman knows what's up.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:41:34 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:34:13 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
At 2/28/2011 9:32:54 AM, nonentity wrote:

Two are hispanic, two are black, and one's asian.

Then maybe you need new friends... lol
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:42:38 AM

I think you're down-playing what the OP said. He mentioned for example that rap music is degrading toward women, and that rappers mention sex and drugs and get arrested, etc. Notice that this doesn't mention songs like "Angel in a Centerfold" or "Pour Some Sugar on Me" or some other really cheesey rock song with the same message. The rock culture degrades women just as much as the rap culture. It's just that nobody ever talks about it and I'm sick of it. Oh look at those black rappers getting arrested! They're so dangerous! Hello Charlie Sheen. Hello Robert Downey Jr. Hello God-loving, Passion of the Christ Making MEL GIBSON. Nobody uses these people as examples to stereotype white people or white culture.

He also said that Obama was racist for attending a Black History Month event. Give me a break.

As nonentity said, it would be great if we could celebrate all cultures and contributions equally. But we don't. Everything we do and learn is from the white man's perspective (and I'm not only talking about American history). Sorry if I have no sympathy for those who complain about us learning about Rosa Parks once a year.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:43:17 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:32:54 AM, jmar8542 wrote:
Oh sh!t...Danielle, I got your profile mixed with someone else's. I thought you were black. XD

Lol for an entire year I had Huey Freeman as my avatar and people made that mistake all the time :)
President of DDO