Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2011 9:54:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So we just saw that other guy make some very negative and
racist remarks about Black History Month. First of all, do you
know anything about minorities. Black History was created during
the post segregation era. It was started because many BLACK
AMERICANS were not allowed to receive any type of acknowledgement for their accomplishments which were here since
the beginning of time. We felt like we were being overlooked
and not accounted for. Many White Americans had taken credit
for some of the things that we did. So we started our own Month of acheivements, and this is how it all begin. It was not put there
to say that we were any better than anyone else. It was put there
so that we could also honor those who gave their lives in the fight for
everyone's rights and freedom for all. And the same goes for
any other organization that was made or started by Black Americans. We already have Hispanic Month, Asian Month,
and A holiday for the Jews and more. And yes, we have White History almost every day, so how could you miss that. I hope that some of
you understand what I am saying here today. This is not a racist month. It is a month were we give our respect for those who
were denied. Thank you.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 12:56:35 PM
What is this like the third topic you've made on this subject?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 1:46:19 PM
In the UK, Black History Month is in October. I think it's good in a lot of ways. My daughter has learnt about inspiring people like Martin Luther King and Mary Seacole, stuff that was never in the curriculum when I was her age. There are 11 months where history consists of kings and queens of England, the Romans, the Vikings etc. that balances it out a bit.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2011 2:07:33 PM
No bitchin' about it being the shortest month in the year? That's the best they can give you guys February, a stinkin' 28 days?
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 7:32:29 AM
At 3/1/2011 1:46:19 PM, feverish wrote:
In the UK, Black History Month is in October. I think it's good in a lot of ways. My daughter has learnt about inspiring people like Martin Luther King and Mary Seacole, stuff that was never in the curriculum when I was her age. There are 11 months where history consists of kings and queens of England, the Romans, the Vikings etc. that balances it out a bit.

Yes, but there was never a single month out of those 11 months that SPECIFICALLY FOCUSES on learning about the kings and queens of England, the Romans, the Vikings etc.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 10:54:45 AM
At 3/4/2011 7:32:29 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Yes, but there was never a single month out of those 11 months that SPECIFICALLY FOCUSES on learning about the kings and queens of England, the Romans, the Vikings etc.

No, there were ELEVEN MONTHS that specifically focussed on those things, and before Black History Month existed, there were twelve. The academic subject is not labelled as "white history", but without Black History Month, that's what it would be.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:06:07 AM
At 3/4/2011 10:54:45 AM, feverish wrote:
At 3/4/2011 7:32:29 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

No, there were ELEVEN MONTHS that specifically focussed on those things, and before Black History Month existed, there were twelve. The academic subject is not labelled as "white history", but without Black History Month, that's what it would be.

How would you know for certain that it would be labeled that?
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 11:50:09 AM
At 3/4/2011 11:06:07 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
At 3/4/2011 10:54:45 AM, feverish wrote:
The academic subject is not labelled as "white history", but without Black History Month, that's what it would be.

How would you know for certain that it would be labeled that?

I think you misunderstand, I'm not saying it would be labelled that, I'm saying that's what it would be. When I was at school there was no BHM, we studied history and it was exclusively about white people.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2011 6:39:37 PM
I think it's perfectly possible to mix black history into the history of the rest of the world. Why introduce black history as a separate month when it can be spread throughout the year, and everybody can learn everything in a reasonable chronological or geographical order? Should we save "I Have a Dream" and African geography for Febuary?
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:13:32 AM
Black history is history. It does not need to be validated. Do you want to know the real reason why white males aren't given special recognition? It has nothing to do with BS conservative arguments of racism. It's because their superiority has been implicitly acknowledged and no validation is needed.

I oppose Black History Month because it is racist against blacks. There is no need for top down authority to tell people that black history is important; it should be given. Racist people aren't going to be persuaded by childish exploits such as this, they're just going to rationalize them into their ridiculous worldview.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:26:19 AM
At 3/4/2011 8:57:58 PM, Atheism wrote:

I immediately thought of this video when I saw this thread.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:40:20 AM
This dumba$$ is still on the site? Black history month is an insult to every intelligent, independent, motivated black American in this country. It serves only the purpose of keeping racial lines in place. Should black people be proud of their heritage? OF COURSE!!!! Do they need a month to commemorate this? OF COURSE NOT!!!! I also happen to be a firm advocate of MLK Day. Why? Because it is a symbol not only for racial equality, but for the peaceful advancement of civil rights for everyone in this nation. Done...
gavin.ogden
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:42:35 AM
At 2/28/2011 9:54:53 AM, interrogator wrote:
So we just saw that other guy make some very negative and
racist remarks about Black History Month. First of all, do you
know anything about minorities. Black History was created during
the post segregation era. It was started because many BLACK
AMERICANS were not allowed to receive any type of acknowledgement for their accomplishments which were here since
the beginning of time. We felt like we were being overlooked
and not accounted for. Many White Americans had taken credit
for some of the things that we did. So we started our own Month of acheivements, and this is how it all begin. It was not put there
to say that we were any better than anyone else. It was put there
so that we could also honor those who gave their lives in the fight for
everyone's rights and freedom for all. And the same goes for
any other organization that was made or started by Black Americans. We already have Hispanic Month, Asian Month,
and A holiday for the Jews and more. And yes, we have White History almost every day, so how could you miss that. I hope that some of
you understand what I am saying here today. This is not a racist month. It is a month were we give our respect for those who
were denied. Thank you.

I know that you are probably one of the worst spokespersons for black Americans that I can think of, and you would be doing your race a great service by having yourself sterilized.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2011 12:48:46 AM
At 3/5/2011 12:13:32 AM, Grape wrote:
Black history is history. It does not need to be validated. Do you want to know the real reason why white males aren't given special recognition? It has nothing to do with BS conservative arguments of racism. It's because their superiority has been implicitly acknowledged and no validation is needed.

I oppose Black History Month because it is racist against blacks. There is no need for top down authority to tell people that black history is important; it should be given. Racist people aren't going to be persuaded by childish exploits such as this, they're just going to rationalize them into their ridiculous worldview.

Unfortunately, it wasn't always a given, which is why there is a month dedicated to black history. Whether or not it's currently needed is debatable, and I'm not sure that the uproar following its removal is really worth the hassle.