FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:27:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
This is why it still exist.

1. Illegal =/= Abolished

Though it is true that slavery(in it's traditional sense) has been made illegal(also in it's traditional sense) in every country the world, it is also true that slavery still exists in every country in the world. There is a huge demand for slaves and economic inequality leads to scenarios which makes it extremely easy to develop. There are estimated to be more slaves today than at any point in human history.

2. Illegal =/= Enforced

Slavery is an extreme problem in Mauritania today, among other countries, where the government refuses to enforce it's anti-slavery laws. The slavery there is the same white over black slavery we saw(see) in America.

3. Illegal for you =/= Illegal for the government

Lets take America as an example. The 13th Amendment, the one which supposedly abolished slavery, is very clear on the matter that it does nothing of the kind.
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment..."
In other words, the government has simply done what it has always done. Whenever there is a thing in society which is undesirable, it doesn't destroy it, it only gains a monopoly on it. The story is always the same.
Indeed, we see slavery all the time in America. Prisoners' labor is sold off against their will to corporations who could have hired the people starving on the street because they can't find a job.
The funny thing is(not in a good way), a much higher per capita of these prisoners are black. When the slaves were supposedly freed they had zero compensation and have been kept in a perpetual state of poverty ever since, causing elevated crime rates(due to a much higher incentive). And when they try to get out of poverty by selling drugs(a victim less crime) that also puts them in jail.

4. Involuntary servitude is illegal =/= Servitude against one's will is illegal

I am, of course, speaking of wage slavery. Wage-slavery is where someone is in such an economic condition that they are desperately dependent on their employer. Those who are against considering wage-slavery real slavery are making the claim that "choosing" something when there is really no other choice at all can really be considered voluntary. Money is just as much a device of political power as elections are. When someone must make a contract with someone much more economically secure than they are, it is the rich-man with all the leverage in the decision. This kind of pressure is equivalent to coercion. If you disagree still, I dare, I just dare you, to find a starving child in china who works for some industry making stuff for America who receives just enough so they can move their weight in the job the next day(all day) and tell them to their face that it isn't slavery, that they chose this for themselves.

It's time to re-abolish slavery.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:34:02 AM
Given how you define the word slavery, that's impossible. To stop one person's slavery, you'll have to enslave someone else into getting them out of "desperate economic conditions."

Also, if you can't make criminals slaves, how do you deter them from enslaving unless you just slice words while ignoring the moral issue in question which is the proper use of force?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:39:43 AM
At 3/6/2011 1:34:02 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Given how you define the word slavery, that's impossible. To stop one person's slavery, you'll have to enslave someone else into getting them out of "desperate economic conditions."

Also, if you can't make criminals slaves, how do you deter them from enslaving unless you just slice words while ignoring the moral issue in question which is the proper use of force?

Oh, so I'm the one who has to use the thing I want gone to solve it?
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:47:51 AM
At 3/6/2011 1:39:43 AM, FREEDO wrote:

I just asked what the alternative solution was. But if you admit there is no alternative solution, and you're just some little b**** who gleans some kind of feeling of moral superiority out of refusing to do what they acknowledge has to be done, i.e., makes a virtue out of being a free rider...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:49:26 AM
wage slavery
It's not an employer's fault that people need resources to survive. If you have a problem with the fact that humans starve without food, blame God, not the person that offers you a way to escape that fate.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:51:28 AM
In other words, saying "I don't want a job in committing force against people, it feels icky" is very different from "All force is always wrong, and here's an alternative that YOU can practice to get what you were trying to get from the force."
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:22:05 AM
You forgot wealth redistribution.

wealth redistribution is a form of slavery. The government is essentially stealing your property you worked for. Thus a form of slavery, since your work was uncompensated and given to the government.
Open borders debate:
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:37:58 AM
At 3/6/2011 1:27:01 AM, FREEDO wrote:

3. Illegal for you =/= Illegal for the government

Lets take America as an example. The 13th Amendment, the one which supposedly abolished slavery, is very clear on the matter that it does nothing of the kind.
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment..."
In other words, the government has simply done what it has always done. Whenever there is a thing in society which is undesirable, it doesn't destroy it, it only gains a monopoly on it. The story is always the same.
Indeed, we see slavery all the time in America. Prisoners' labor is sold off against their will to corporations who could have hired the people starving on the street because they can't find a job.
The funny thing is(not in a good way), a much higher per capita of these prisoners are black.

Are such 'slaves' bought and sold on the open market? Are their children also slaves?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:41:59 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:37:58 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Are such 'slaves' bought and sold on the open market?

Depends.

Are their children also slaves?

Much of time.

Would answering "no" to either of these disqualify them from being slaves? I don't think so.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:43:07 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:22:05 AM, darkkermit wrote:

wealth redistribution is a form of slavery. The government is essentially stealing your property you worked for. Thus a form of slavery, since your work was uncompensated and given to the government.

If it came back in the form of welfare, it could be considered compensation. However, for the record, I am not pro government redistribution of wealth or welfare.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:45:38 AM
At 3/6/2011 1:47:51 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I just asked what the alternative solution was. But if you admit there is no alternative solution, and you're just some little b**** who gleans some kind of feeling of moral superiority out of refusing to do what they acknowledge has to be done, i.e., makes a virtue out of being a free rider...

You didn't just ask a question You made an assertion. I also didn't answer you. I implied, through a question, that your assertion was ridiculous and hypocritical.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:46:18 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:43:07 AM, FREEDO wrote:

If it came back in the form of welfare, it could be considered compensation.

I have no idea what you just meant. Compensation for what?

However, for the record, I am not pro government redistribution of wealth or welfare.

Aren't you a communist though? Communism requires a person to force others to do work.
Open borders debate:
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:47:26 AM
At 3/6/2011 1:49:26 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:
wage slavery
It's not an employer's fault that people need resources to survive. If you have a problem with the fact that humans starve without food, blame God, not the person that offers you a way to escape that fate.

Wage-slavery is certainly not offering them to escape it. There is a better way.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:48:09 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:41:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Depends.

I would like you to show me a single incident of this having occured since the civil war.

Much of time.

Would answering "no" to either of these disqualify them from being slaves? I don't think so.

Yes, yes it would.

You have drawn the analogy between the true slave trade of the past (at least america's past) and modern penal labour/racial inequality. It is a false analogy, simple propaganda.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:50:57 AM
Yes, yes it would.
Wait, treating slaves like many countries in Europe treated inherited land (you "owned" it but couldn't legally sell it) would make them nonslaves?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:52:05 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:45:38 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/6/2011 1:47:51 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

You didn't just ask a question You made an assertion. I also didn't answer you. I implied, through a question, that your assertion was ridiculous and hypocritical.

How so?

In any case, your job is to REBUT it.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:52:44 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:50:57 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Yes, yes it would.
Wait, treating slaves like many countries in Europe treated inherited land (you "owned" it but couldn't legally sell it) would make them nonslaves?

Are you trying to explain serfdom?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:53:19 AM
In any case, I did ask a question:

"Also, if you can't make criminals slaves, how do you deter them from enslaving unless you just slice words while ignoring the moral issue in question which is the proper use of force?
"
The other assertion implies a question-- it's a challenge.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:54:33 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:46:18 AM, darkkermit wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:43:07 AM, FREEDO wrote:

If it came back in the form of welfare, it could be considered compensation.

I have no idea what you just meant. Compensation for what?

Taxes.

However, for the record, I am not pro government redistribution of wealth or welfare.

Aren't you a communist though? Communism requires a person to force others to do work.

Actually, by definition, Communism is Anarchistic. You won't find a single Communist who agrees that Soviet Russia, China, North Korea, Cuba have ever been anything near Communism. Even the Soviets themselves knew they weren't Communistic, only "preparing for Communism". The whole idea of Marxism is that a government is needed to be established which will eventually transform society into Communism. Marx certainly did not invent Communism. And right when he came on the scene there was a great division among Communists about how to best achieve Communism. The side opposed to Marx, mostly lead by Mikhail Bakunin, have been conveniently hidden from history books.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:55:39 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:52:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Yes, yes it would.

Explain it?
I'm asking whether you think the term "slave" excludes something roughly analogous to serfs. I would say serfs are just a specific KIND of slave (although it's not quite serfs here, you aren't just prohibited from selling serfs, but also from forcing them to move-- they are bound to the landowner in his capacity as landowner, not in his capacity as person, and they are thus bound to the land).
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:57:06 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:47:26 AM, FREEDO wrote:
wage slavery

Wage-slavery is certainly not offering them to escape it.

Yes it is. If taking a job didn't allow people to not starve, no one would work.

There is a better way.
If you think there's a better way--giving people money for free, for example--then you're free to do that. But saying that businesses giving people jobs is slavery is simply wrong--if anyone is doing the enslaving, it's God or nature or whatever, by creating humans in such a way that they need food to not starve. It's not a business owner's fault that that's the way the world works.
Should we subsidize education?

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:57:44 AM
The side opposed to Marx, mostly lead by Mikhail Bakunin, have been conveniently hidden from history books.
They haven't been "Hidden," they just aren't mentioned in history books because they never DID anything of note-- i.e., they aren't a subject of "history" in general, though perhaps of "history of political philosophy".
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:59:35 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:55:39 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:52:44 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Yes, yes it would.

Explain it?
I'm asking whether you think the term "slave" excludes something roughly analogous to serfs. I would say serfs are just a specific KIND of slave (although it's not quite serfs here, you aren't just prohibited from selling serfs, but also from forcing them to move-- they are bound to the landowner in his capacity as landowner, not in his capacity as person, and they are thus bound to the land).

The word slave was used in the context of the kidnapped peoples from africa, who were bought and sold like livestock and who had no rights.

With a context so defined, serfdom is obviously something else. Differing context and you would have a point.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 2:59:44 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:48:09 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:41:59 AM, FREEDO wrote:

Depends.

I would like you to show me a single incident of this having occured since the civil war.

I said it depends. Meaning, there needs to be more clarifications. Prisoners will still be owned by the state but their labor is being sold off.

There was a case in, I believe it was, the 70's where a "chain gang" of prisoners took the hammers they were using in their labor and broke their own legs to draw attention to their situation.

Much of time.

Yes, yes it would.

You have drawn the analogy between the true slave trade of the past (at least america's past) and modern penal labour/racial inequality. It is a false analogy, simple propaganda.

Ok.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 4:39:12 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:57:06 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:47:26 AM, FREEDO wrote:
wage slavery

Wage-slavery is certainly not offering them to escape it.

Yes it is. If taking a job didn't allow people to not starve, no one would work.

There is a better way.
If you think there's a better way--giving people money for free, for example--then you're free to do that. But saying that businesses giving people jobs is slavery is simply wrong--if anyone is doing the enslaving, it's God or nature or whatever, by creating humans in such a way that they need food to not starve. It's not a business owner's fault that that's the way the world works.

"Giving someone a job" is not the authoritarian part. The ownership of a job, or anything at all really, is inherently an authoritarian concept.

Though, I do agree that nature is a dictatorship. Maybe one day we will free ourselves from it as well.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 4:40:56 AM
At 3/6/2011 2:57:44 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
The side opposed to Marx, mostly lead by Mikhail Bakunin, have been conveniently hidden from history books.
They haven't been "Hidden," they just aren't mentioned in history books because they never DID anything of note-- i.e., they aren't a subject of "history" in general, though perhaps of "history of political philosophy".

They have had a great deal to do with history. Societies have risen and fallen. World changing events. You just haven't read about them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 7:59:24 AM
"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment...":

That's a reference to prison.

Indeed, we see slavery all the time in America. Prisoners' labor is sold off against their will to corporations who could have hired the people starving on the street because they can't find a job.:

Freedo, no prisoner is forced to work. You can sit in your cell all day if you'd like and do nothing. A lot of prisoners opt to take jobs for 3 central reasons.

1. They work to cut away at the boredom.
2. They work because it's psychological beneficial for a human to feel worth about themselves through the act of accomplishment.
3. They receive money for working, albeit not much. But since their rent, utilities, food, medical, dental, etc is covered by the taxpayers, they don't require much money.

Also, their funds go back to the government, they aren't sold to any corporations. They make everything from calendars for federal employees to license plates for the DMV.

The funny thing is(not in a good way), a much higher per capita of these prisoners are black.:

Are you suggesting that black people all over the country are systematically being framed for crimes that they didn't commit?

Wage-slavery is where someone is in such an economic condition that they are desperately dependent on their employer.:

It isn't a dependency on their employer, it's a dependency on money. Since most people cannot segue in to a new job by snapping their fingers, it involves using your brain.

All in all, I found your allusions to slavery unconvincing.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 11:04:36 AM
At 3/6/2011 4:40:56 AM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/6/2011 2:57:44 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

They have had a great deal to do with history. Societies have risen and fallen. World changing events. You just haven't read about them.

Probably because these things are in your imagination.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 1:14:20 PM
Slavery will never die.

http://www.newgrounds.com...

Maybe the rise of Techno Allah will save us.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp