Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Separation of Chuch & State

resolutionsmasher
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2009 7:21:11 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I need some opinions on this subject. So just talk away people.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
Spaghettim0nst3r
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 2:51:31 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
The WALL of separation is crumbling.
Maybe Obama will rebuild some of THAT infrastructure (oooo clever!).

Intellectual infrastructure doesn't seem to be his bag of chips though, he's more of a demolitionist in that respect.
ournamestoolong
Posts: 1,059
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 3:15:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
As a Quaker I believe that religous tolerance is very important, therefore, I am completely for seperation of church and state.
I'll get by with a little help from my friends.

Ournamestoolong

Secretary of Commerce

Destroy talking ads!
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 3:27:20 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 2:51:31 PM, Spaghettim0nst3r wrote:
The WALL of separation is crumbling.
Maybe Obama will rebuild some of THAT infrastructure (oooo clever!).

Intellectual infrastructure doesn't seem to be his bag of chips though, he's more of a demolitionist in that respect.

I'm impressed by your use of capitals to EMPHASISE your point..
Where'd you get that? ;)
The Cross.. the Cross.
Spaghettim0nst3r
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 9:07:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 3:27:20 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I'm impressed by your use of capitals to EMPHASISE your point..
Where'd you get that? ;)

Troll post.
Nik
Posts: 552
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 9:37:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 9:07:18 PM, Spaghettim0nst3r wrote:

Troll post.

Only cool people troll post. like me!
"If you could tell the world but one truth, I could convince it of a thousand lies"
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/18/2009 9:39:58 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I've heard "The separation of church and state benefits both."

Which is, of course, the best argument ever made against the separation of church and state.

)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2009 11:39:36 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 4:05:20 PM, DeadLeaves93 wrote:
alot of people do that

LIKE ME :P

sure but HE got it from ME..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Spaghettim0nst3r
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/19/2009 6:45:39 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/19/2009 11:39:36 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
sure but HE got it from ME..

How recently did you obtain access to the internet?
...your apparently belief that you are somehow original suggests you're new here (the internet).
resolutionsmasher
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 11:27:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
try retyping that with correct grammer next time.

Now for the rest of you. Do you think our government today is doing too much or too little to separate church and state.
My opinion is too much. Ask me why if you want to know.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 11:29:52 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 9:39:58 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I've heard "The separation of church and state benefits both."

Which is, of course, the best argument ever made against the separation of church and state.

)

You gud darn anarchistic atheists get off my lawn!
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Spaghettim0nst3r
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 4:28:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/21/2009 11:27:03 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
try retyping that with correct grammer next time.

Ooooooo, sick burn bro.
You totally got me.

I thought I was gonna just come up in here and make an innocent typo, but you slammed the door shut pretty fast on that nonsense huh? Good job bro, allow me to pat you on the back.

If I had the capability to edit posts, I would have corrected myself...

Douchebag
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 4:31:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/21/2009 4:28:53 PM, Spaghettim0nst3r wrote:
At 3/21/2009 11:27:03 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
try retyping that with correct grammer next time.

Ooooooo, sick burn bro.
You totally got me.

I thought I was gonna just come up in here and make an innocent typo, but you slammed the door shut pretty fast on that nonsense huh? Good job bro, allow me to pat you on the back.

If I had the capability to edit posts, I would have corrected myself...

Douchebag

*Reported*
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 5:51:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/21/2009 11:27:03 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
try retyping that with correct grammer next time.

Suicide with an irony bullet.
brian_eggleston
Posts: 3,347
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2009 6:01:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/21/2009 5:51:56 PM, Puck wrote:
At 3/21/2009 11:27:03 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
try retyping that with correct grammer next time.

Suicide with an irony bullet.

Lol, well-spotted that man!
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
resolutionsmasher
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2009 2:21:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
You people seem to have a hard time answering the question at hand!!!
Please just tell me you ideas!!!
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
bombmaniac
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2009 4:00:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
i think the separation has become too strong. the separation was meant to prevent the government from discriminating against certain people based on religion. however, whats wrong with having the ten commandments in a courtroom if Judaism, and Christianity isnt being forced on anyone, and if no one is being discriminated against based on it's presence?
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2009 7:18:25 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It provides a forum for Christianity and no one else to propagandize. I.e., you just contradicted yourself epically.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
brycef
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2009 9:46:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 3/18/2009 9:39:58 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I've heard "The separation of church and state benefits both."

Which is, of course, the best argument ever made against the separation of church and state.

)

Perhaps you could elaborate on this - your use of the phrase seems to indicate that you think the mixture of the institutions will weaken them, while it seems to me that the separation will merely cause each of them to exercising less domination over the people. Religion in the state usually leads to laws prohibiting certain personal actions, i.e. gay marriage, abortion, and bans on selling alcohol on Sundays. As a libertarian, I'd imagine that you'd be fervently against this. Likewise, politics in the church inevitably guides people away from individualism in their religious practices. Certainly, the mix could lead to the institutions falling out of favor with the people, thus making people more likely to rebel, but in the short-run the mix will inevitably lead to more coercive policies being adopted by both.
brycef
Posts: 157
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2009 10:04:09 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 4/1/2009 9:46:22 PM, brycef wrote:
At 3/18/2009 9:39:58 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I've heard "The separation of church and state benefits both."

Which is, of course, the best argument ever made against the separation of church and state.

)

Perhaps you could elaborate on this - your use of the phrase seems to indicate that you think the mixture of the institutions will weaken them, while it seems to me that the separation will merely cause each of them to exercise less domination over the people. Religion in the state usually leads to laws prohibiting certain personal actions, i.e. gay marriage, abortion, and bans on selling alcohol on Sundays. As a libertarian, I'd imagine that you'd be fervently against this. Likewise, politics in the church inevitably guides people away from individualism in their religious practices. Certainly, the mix could lead to the institutions falling out of favor with the people, thus making people more likely to rebel, but in the short-run the mix will inevitably lead to more coercive policies being adopted by both.

*exercise
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2009 10:53:56 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
What you're missing is that I was making a joke about a common phrase http://www.google.com.... I am in fact in favor of separation of church and state, except in cases where I would oppose it in bad faith (as you say, to incite rebellion at the cost of the short run). However, such bad faith opposition would be a difficult and therefore rare tactic, one I'd have to do covertly to avoid compromising my propaganda capabilities :)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
bombmaniac
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2009 9:35:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
then if the muslims feel so strongly about it let them hand a koran in there i said what i said to make a point. for example not saying god in the pledge of allegiance is an exaggeration of the seperation
bombmaniac
Posts: 49
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/3/2009 10:32:23 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
i'm sorry let me clarify. a ten commandments hanging in a courtroom isn't providing a forum, or denying that forum to anybody. it is simply an icon of virtue and honesty in hopes of keeping all involved parties honest
resolutionsmasher
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2009 4:23:18 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
It also symbolizes our history. Denying it would be denying the fact that we were at least at some point in our history a Christian nation.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
Puck
Posts: 6,457
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/7/2009 4:25:05 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 4/7/2009 4:23:18 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
It also symbolizes our history. Denying it would be denying the fact that we were at least at some point in our history a Christian nation.

I see what you did there.
Spaghettim0nst3r
Posts: 366
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/8/2009 12:27:47 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 4/7/2009 4:23:18 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
It also symbolizes our history. Denying it would be denying the fact that we were at least at some point in our history a Christian nation.

What point would that be?

(The percentage of the population that are Christian has nothing to do with the style of government in place... which has always been secular ~until the 20th century when all hell broke loose~.)
resolutionsmasher
Posts: 579
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2009 2:10:36 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 4/8/2009 12:27:47 PM, Spaghettim0nst3r wrote:
At 4/7/2009 4:23:18 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
It also symbolizes our history. Denying it would be denying the fact that we were at least at some point in our history a Christian nation.

What point would that be?

(The percentage of the population that are Christian has nothing to do with the style of government in place... which has always been secular ~until the 20th century when all hell broke loose~.)

A religious statue in a public park doesn't affect government.
In the relationship between Obama and the rest of the U.S..... I think the U.S. is getting the short end of the hockey stick.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2009 2:13:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 4/9/2009 2:10:36 PM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
At 4/8/2009 12:27:47 PM, Spaghettim0nst3r wrote:
At 4/7/2009 4:23:18 AM, resolutionsmasher wrote:
It also symbolizes our history. Denying it would be denying the fact that we were at least at some point in our history a Christian nation.

What point would that be?

(The percentage of the population that are Christian has nothing to do with the style of government in place... which has always been secular ~until the 20th century when all hell broke loose~.)

A religious statue in a public park doesn't affect government.

If you want to symbolize more points in your history, enslave all the blacks in society.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.