Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Two Challenges For Anarcho-Capitalists

Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 8:52:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Problem 1:

Suppose aliens attack Earth. They are completely bent on destroying all humans, they have no other ascertainable goals, and they cannot be reasoned with at all. They strike from orbit using death-rays that reduce the surface of the planet to a molten slag within minutes.

How would your political system provide a solution to this problem?

Problem 2:

Aliens come to Earth, but this time they are peaceful. However, they exist in 5 dimensions. An alien lives on property that borders yours in dimensions 1-3 but partially supervenes on it in dimensions 4 and 5. He has a super-hedge that exists in dimensions 2-5. The super-hedge super-rotates through dimensions 2-4. He places the 5th dimensional part of the hedge in the 5th dimensional space that supervenes on your property.

Do you have the right to trim the two-dimensional super-hedge line segment that repeatedly appears and disappears in your yard? Aliens, being stubborn and unwilling to negotiation despite the costs to them by nature, always do such really annoying things as this.

(I realize that there may be a geometric error in the second problem because I have not thoroughly thought over how multidimensional objects really work, but I think it is a valid concern and I'm sure you'll get the idea).
mongeese
Posts: 5,387
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 9:07:04 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think we'll cross that bridge when we get there. Is there any political system that can truly deal with a violent alien invasion?
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 9:17:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
It is not like neighbours ever have an argument over land, is it? It is not like societies ever raise armies and wage war is it? These are totally unreasonable scenarios to suggest to proponents of an-cap. Because these things never happen in the real world. They are as wacky as alien genocide and five dimensional interlopers.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:15:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'm only kidding, C_N. I think most of the problems that people seriously offer do merit explanations. I just noticed that generally every explanation is usually met by a more complicated or more difficult problem, so I decided to take that to it's logical end for the sake of humor.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:21:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 10:15:54 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm only kidding, C_N. I think most of the problems that people seriously offer do merit explanations. I just noticed that generally every explanation is usually met by a more complicated or more difficult problem, so I decided to take that to it's logical end for the sake of humor.

Oh don't get me wrong I laughed when I read it, but I figured it was a parody of me as opposed to the replies I get!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Grape
Posts: 989
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:26:12 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 10:21:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/6/2011 10:15:54 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm only kidding, C_N. I think most of the problems that people seriously offer do merit explanations. I just noticed that generally every explanation is usually met by a more complicated or more difficult problem, so I decided to take that to it's logical end for the sake of humor.

Oh don't get me wrong I laughed when I read it, but I figured it was a parody of me as opposed to the replies I get!

Don't get me wrong either, it is a parody of you. I'm just saying you're free to ask questions and many of them are legitimate concerns. That doesn't mean I won't mock them.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Posts: 10,806
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:32:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 10:26:12 PM, Grape wrote:
At 3/6/2011 10:21:35 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
At 3/6/2011 10:15:54 PM, Grape wrote:
I'm only kidding, C_N. I think most of the problems that people seriously offer do merit explanations. I just noticed that generally every explanation is usually met by a more complicated or more difficult problem, so I decided to take that to it's logical end for the sake of humor.

Oh don't get me wrong I laughed when I read it, but I figured it was a parody of me as opposed to the replies I get!

Don't get me wrong either, it is a parody of you. I'm just saying you're free to ask questions and many of them are legitimate concerns. That doesn't mean I won't mock them.

Good... because I have plenty more for you to mock, and J.Kenyon to troll.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cliff.Stamp
Posts: 2,169
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/6/2011 10:47:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/6/2011 8:52:57 PM, Grape wrote:
Problem 1:

Suppose aliens attack Earth. They are completely bent on destroying all humans, they have no other ascertainable goals, and they cannot be reasoned with at all. They strike from orbit using death-rays that reduce the surface of the planet to a molten slag within minutes.

How would your political system provide a solution to this problem?

Trivial, they contact Jeff Goldblum, who is always on standby for such a case, he beams a virus up to the aliens, it reprograms the computers and they all fire at each other.


Problem 2:

Aliens come to Earth, but this time they are peaceful. However, they exist in 5 dimensions. An alien lives on property that borders yours in dimensions 1-3 but partially supervenes on it in dimensions 4 and 5. He has a super-hedge that exists in dimensions 2-5. The super-hedge super-rotates through dimensions 2-4. He places the 5th dimensional part of the hedge in the 5th dimensional space that supervenes on your property.

Do you have the right to trim the two-dimensional super-hedge line segment that repeatedly appears and disappears in your yard? Aliens, being stubborn and unwilling to negotiation despite the costs to them by nature, always do such really annoying things as this.

As you have the ability to trim a hedge in just two dimensions, which is a rare and unique thing you market this solution and all the applications of it. After the immense profit you have gained you find out what the alien desires most of all and you give him this in exchange for reclaiming dimensional sovereignty over 2-3 of your hedge.

Now if that in fact is what he desires most of all then you simply take you vast fortune, invent a hedge which exists in dimensions 6-11 and make sure that is on all of his land and you sleep soundly in smug satisfaction that he can have his piddly line segment, you have just tesseracted his entire property and he doesn't even know it.