Jump to topic:

Thank Goodness we have Laws/Police/Prisons

J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:23:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Lmfao, so it's okay to set up mouse traps designed to kill small rodents, but if you choke one you go to jail? This country is so effed up.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:32:46 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:23:59 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Lmfao, so it's okay to set up mouse traps designed to kill small rodents, but if you choke one you go to jail? This country is so effed up.

Of course. Those are unwanted, while the hamster is wanted. I don't think she should go to jail because of killing the hamster, but she obviously has anger issues that she needs to learn to control, and so something needs to be done about that.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:35:29 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:29:27 PM, Koopin wrote:
In other news, a child molester raped and killed a young girl and is facing charges up to 6 weeks in prison.:

Rape a b*tch, get 6 weeks. Choke a hampster, get 2 years.

Good, 'ole American justice at its finest....
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:40:36 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:35:29 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
In other news, a child molester raped and killed a young girl and is facing charges up to 6 weeks in prison.:

Rape a b*tch, get 6 weeks. Choke a hampster, get 2 years.

Good, 'ole American justice at its finest....

Yeah, it's a good thing the State exists to protect us against injustice like this!
President of DDO
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:52:39 PM
In all seriousness, I have had 5 run in with the cops. Each thing that happened I never got in trouble, but 4/5 of my experiences have been bad. It's like they are bored and have nothing to do or just want to show their power.
kfc
Sobriquet
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:55:21 PM
Yeah, how would you silly an-caps deal with the violent choking of hamsters?
"Bullsh!t is unavoidable whenever circumstance require someone to talk without knowing what he is talking about."
— Harry G. Frankfurt
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:57:08 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:52:39 PM, Koopin wrote:
In all seriousness, I have had 5 run in with the cops. Each thing that happened I never got in trouble, but 4/5 of my experiences have been bad. It's like they are bored and have nothing to do or just want to show their power.

lol, I'm exactly different. I've had 2 "run-ins" (not counting things like speeding tickets), and both have been great. Heck, even if we count the speeding tickets, I have not had a bad experience with them (both times, the tickets were my fault, I just kept forgetting that the church is also a school and so missed the school zone).

My brother-in-law hates cops because they took his licence away for 2 years (the fact that, while drunk, he drove into someone's house seems to escape him).

I actually hate it when cops don't give tickets. I hate going on facebook and seeing one of my wife's friends with big boobs posting "Got my 4th warning for speeding this month, thank goodness for lowcut shirts."
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 12:58:23 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:55:21 PM, Sobriquet wrote:

File a claim through a private "justice" company that would force the hamster murderer to pay for damages for the value of the hamster (not sure how emotional value would be measured by the free market).
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 1:04:47 PM
In other news, a child molester raped and killed a young girl and is facing charges up to 6 weeks in prison.

Seems a little draconian.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 1:06:46 PM

Has the hamster paid his premiums to a security firm?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 1:09:56 PM
At 3/10/2011 1:06:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

And does the security firm cover that aspect? You have to make sure to read the fine print.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 1:18:08 PM
At 3/10/2011 1:09:56 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/10/2011 1:06:46 PM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

And does the security firm cover that aspect? You have to make sure to read the fine print.

Oh yes, the revenge clause.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 2:10:38 PM
At 3/10/2011 12:57:08 PM, OreEle wrote:

lol, I'm exactly different. I've had 2 "run-ins" (not counting things like speeding tickets), and both have been great. Heck, even if we count the speeding tickets, I have not had a bad experience with them (both times, the tickets were my fault, I just kept forgetting that the church is also a school and so missed the school zone.

They are called "pigs" for a reason: they are given power over people and often misuse that authority. I was riding back to my house with a friend from Michigan one night pretty late, and the cops pulled us over just as we were pulling into my driveway (I was renting a small upstairs apt from an older couple). It turned out my friend needed her license transferred from michigan to wisconsin (something extremely minor to that effect; still had MI plates). So the sops pulled into my driveway with lights flashing everywhere, 2 or 3 squadcars. I looked like such a f*cking scumbag. I asked them to turn them off and the pig looked at me coldly and told me the lights are for their protection and proceeded to leave them on for 20 minutes while they discussed the administrative bullsh*t. My landlord was woken up and for all he knew I just got done with a midnight run of theivery, drinking, or whatever the imagination can run with.

I don't care when I hear about some middle-class people having (actually) good experiences with police; they are pigs. Just because one person doesn't get harassed or abused by the pigs doesn't mean we all don't. I realize there are good cops out there that don't deserve that label but something must be said about the institution in general. I don't use the term specifically as a hateful word against police; "pig" to me applies to all who support the authority weilded by this institution, not just the ones who swing the nightsticks, use the tazers, and shoot the guns.

My brother-in-law hates cops because they took his licence away for 2 years (the fact that, while drunk, he drove into someone's house seems to escape him).

I actually hate it when cops don't give tickets. I hate going on facebook and seeing one of my wife's friends with big boobs posting "Got my 4th warning for speeding this month, thank goodness for lowcut shirts."

Yeah they are inconsistent. Property rights and law are virtually impossible to address consistently.
kfc
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:18:35 PM
Man cops arnt nothing I hate those B!tch a$s fire fighters man, always putting out fires that I started ...Man I hate them
I mean one time I set my car on fire to get a new one and they show up and put it out, the car still ran too so I ended up having to pay for it.
F the FirePigs
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 3:26:04 PM

lol, I'm exactly different. I've had 2 "run-ins" (not counting things like speeding tickets), and both have been great. Heck, even if we count the speeding tickets, I have not had a bad experience with them (both times, the tickets were my fault, I just kept forgetting that the church is also a school and so missed the school zone).

Mine have been bad, from all my experiences 99% percent of cops give the 1% a bad wrap. It might just be from growing up in a hick town with hick cops.
A cop asked me to take my hands out of my pockets, while I was taking them out I told him I had a flashlight in my hand (thinking he'd want to know its not a weapon or something) he said, and I quote, "Ya well I have a gun and I'm pretty sure a gun beats a flashlight" what a fat scumbag of a human being
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:05:43 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:26:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Mine have been bad, from all my experiences 99% percent of cops give the 1% a bad wrap. It might just be from growing up in a hick town with hick cops.
A cop asked me to take my hands out of my pockets, while I was taking them out I told him I had a flashlight in my hand (thinking he'd want to know its not a weapon or something) he said, and I quote, "Ya well I have a gun and I'm pretty sure a gun beats a flashlight" what a fat scumbag of a human being

They are renowned for that sort of humor. I was in RI and a cop saw my ID and it said WI, and he's like, "why don't you go back to WI" and then turned and started laughing at his friends (the other cops) just to taunt me.
kfc
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:25:59 PM
I completely approve of the imprisonment. And for the record, I wouldn't dare use a mouse trap that kills the victim. Human life =\= all living things; that doesn't mean the senseless murder of animals should be allowed.
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:33:33 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:25:59 PM, jmar8542 wrote:
I completely approve of the imprisonment. And for the record, I wouldn't dare use a mouse trap that kills the victim. Human life =\= all living things; that doesn't mean the senseless murder of animals should be allowed.

Wow...
kfc
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:38:03 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:33:33 PM, Koopin wrote:

Wow...

What? She murdered the family hamster. You think that should just go unpunished?
"Science is interesting, and if you don't agree, you can fvck off." - Richard Dawkins
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:38:20 PM
At 3/10/2011 3:26:04 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Just curious, why did you not just leave the flash light in your pocket when you pulled your hands out?
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:39:47 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:38:03 PM, jmar8542 wrote:

Wow...

What? She murdered the family hamster. You think that should just go unpunished?

There are different ways of handling this. I would hate to be your kids.
kfc
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:42:09 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:39:47 PM, Koopin wrote:

Wow...

if I had kids, I would either teach them not to murder in anger, or I would be afraid for them to roam the streets.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:44:08 PM
SAVE THE HAMSTERS!!!! B!TCHES BE CRAZY, Y'HEAR?!?! w00t!!!!!
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:44:33 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:44:08 PM, annhasle wrote:
SAVE THE HAMSTERS!!!! B!TCHES BE CRAZY, Y'HEAR?!?! w00t!!!!!

Sorry, that's all I read when I see people supporting these charges.
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:45:31 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:42:09 PM, jmar8542 wrote:

Wow...

if I had kids, I would either teach them not to murder in anger, or I would be afraid for them to roam the streets.

Yeah, but when your kid does something wrong (and trust me they will) I can't imagine your punishment. If your fine with letting someone go to jail over a hamster, what if your kids do something bigger?
kfc
jmar8542
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:48:58 PM
At 3/10/2011 5:45:31 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 3/10/2011 5:42:09 PM, jmar8542 wrote:

Wow...

Yeah, but when your kid does something wrong (and trust me they will) I can't imagine your punishment. If your fine with letting someone go to jail over a hamster, what if your kids do something bigger?

Define bigger.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:49:03 PM

Are you a Jainist?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/10/2011 5:50:18 PM
At 3/10/2011 2:10:38 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

lol, I'm exactly different. I've had 2 "run-ins" (not counting things like speeding tickets), and both have been great. Heck, even if we count the speeding tickets, I have not had a bad experience with them (both times, the tickets were my fault, I just kept forgetting that the church is also a school and so missed the school zone.

They are called "pigs" for a reason: they are given power over people and often misuse that authority. I was riding back to my house with a friend from Michigan one night pretty late, and the cops pulled us over just as we were pulling into my driveway (I was renting a small upstairs apt from an older couple). It turned out my friend needed her license transferred from michigan to wisconsin (something extremely minor to that effect; still had MI plates). So the sops pulled into my driveway with lights flashing everywhere, 2 or 3 squadcars. I looked like such a f*cking scumbag. I asked them to turn them off and the pig looked at me coldly and told me the lights are for their protection and proceeded to leave them on for 20 minutes while they discussed the administrative bullsh*t. My landlord was woken up and for all he knew I just got done with a midnight run of theivery, drinking, or whatever the imagination can run with.

I don't care when I hear about some middle-class people having (actually) good experiences with police; they are pigs. Just because one person doesn't get harassed or abused by the pigs doesn't mean we all don't. I realize there are good cops out there that don't deserve that label but something must be said about the institution in general. I don't use the term specifically as a hateful word against police; "pig" to me applies to all who support the authority weilded by this institution, not just the ones who swing the nightsticks, use the tazers, and shoot the guns.

First, I'm not middle class (at least I wasn't when I had my experiences with them). Second, the same logic that says we can't judge them all based on the good behavior of the few goes to that we can't judge them all based on the poor behavior of the few.

Most cops don't go around beating random people. If they did, the news of another cop beating wouldn't be news at all as it would be happening in your city a dozen times a day. The fact is that it happens rarely and thus it becomes news worthy.

Stop and look a car crashes. In the US, about 120 people die in traffic accidents each day. My state has about 1.2% of the population, so that means we should have about 3 deaths every 2 days, but if you listen to the news, if there is any news about it at all, you just hear about the traffic back-up that it caused and it being mentioned as "a fatal crash." But if a cop does something stupid (like in Oregon when an off-duty cop decided he didn't like the way some guy cut him off and pulled his gun to intimidate the guy) it makes the news for days and is the subject of all the local radio talk shows.

Yeah they are inconsistent. Property rights and law are virtually impossible to address consistently.

Yeah, they are called pigs because some people refuse to take responsibility for their actions and prefer to place the blame on others. Like it is the cops' fault that they robbed a store. Or it is the cops' fault that they were going and smashing mail boxes and recording it.