Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

If you were an authoritarian dictator...?

FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 12:36:50 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 3/11/2011 12:25:40 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Abolish the government and resign from my post.

Note the authoritarian part.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 1:39:36 AM
At 3/11/2011 12:36:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:

If I'm not allowed to abolish the government or implement libertarian policies, then I guess I'd implement policies as close to libertarianism as the rules of your thought experiment allow for. Kind of a pointless exercise :/
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 1:46:22 AM
At 3/11/2011 1:39:36 AM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 3/11/2011 12:36:50 AM, FREEDO wrote:

If I'm not allowed to abolish the government or implement libertarian policies, then I guess I'd implement policies as close to libertarianism as the rules of your thought experiment allow for. Kind of a pointless exercise :/

You're defeating the whole point! C'mon, have a little fun with it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 1:48:30 AM
At 3/11/2011 12:23:15 AM, FREEDO wrote:
What would you do?

In brief, pursue several populist policies, set up a sham central parliament, permit local government complete freedom in minor and cosmetic decisions, encourage political satire, lower taxes.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:20:58 AM
I wouldn't be me if I were an authoritarian dictator.

Now, if there were some creature that resulted from myself being placed through a Magic Mind Control Machine in some alternate universe where that was coherent, that was programmed to remove libertarian attributes, replace with authoritarian attributes, and leave as much of the rest as possible intact without leading to head-asploding contradiction, and that creature were securely dictator of the earth tomorrow, that creature would implement universal STD testing, kill off everyone with a positive result, kill off 99% of remaining dudes (leaving only the most useful, determined largely by income), and laugh as the ladies had difficulty deciding whether their new situation every time I picked one was rape or sorely needed.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 5:49:03 AM
What would you do?:

This is a stupid question. What are we supposed to say? Oh, I want to be more legendary for my brutality than Caligula!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:55:57 AM

lol, you're basically saying that if you were an authoritatian dictator, than you would not be an authoritarian dictator.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 11:07:19 AM
What would you do?

Given that being a dictator implies that democracy is shut down (or atleast being frauded to the point that it is pointless), I'd probably start with the launching of massive government owned corporations (note, government owed, not government run), primarily in the fields of energy, such as nuclear power plants, oil rigs and refineries and such. However, I would not kick out competeing companies.

The companies would be run just like any other company (which is why it is government owned, not government run) to make a profit. But instead of net profits being sent to shareholders, those net profits are being sent to the government's general fund.

The military would slowly be cut down drasticly (don't want to do it too fast and have a flood of new workers hit the work force and cause massive unemployment).

Dang, there are a lot of things I'd do. I think one of the most authoritarian would be to nationalize the tobacco industry. I would keep producing and supplying the demands of tobacco products (since if I were to cut supplies, the demand would just create black markets), and cut their entire advertising budget. That way, over the years, the demand for tobacco products would slowly drop and less new people would be trying them. I'd also clean them up a bit, take out some of the additives, but not change too much. Eventually, tobacco usage would greatly drop because the demand for it dropped. That way, there is no black market underground for it. I've been thinking about maybe doing the same with marijuana, legalizing, but nationalizing it and not marketing it at all. Eventually, the thrill of it would go away. Still mulling that over.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 2:57:25 PM
At 3/11/2011 2:20:58 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
I wouldn't be me if I were an authoritarian dictator.

Now, if there were some creature that resulted from myself being placed through a Magic Mind Control Machine in some alternate universe where that was coherent, that was programmed to remove libertarian attributes, replace with authoritarian attributes, and leave as much of the rest as possible intact without leading to head-asploding contradiction, and that creature were securely dictator of the earth tomorrow, that creature would implement universal STD testing, kill off everyone with a positive result, kill off 99% of remaining dudes (leaving only the most useful, determined largely by income), and laugh as the ladies had difficulty deciding whether their new situation every time I picked one was rape or sorely needed.

Good, this is what I asked for.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:01:26 PM
At 3/11/2011 11:07:19 AM, OreEle wrote:

For an authoritarian I thought you would be a little more authoritarian. Also, lol@ the anti tobacco and marijuana program.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:05:29 PM
If I were dictator I would WANT everybody drugged up. Free pot for everyone! Fvck, I'll pump it in the air! Keep them all in a haze, unable to think and mobilize against me. I don't care if it destroys the economy! All that matters is my own sadistic pleasure of being in control.

MWAWAWAWAWA!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:32:51 PM
At 3/11/2011 5:49:03 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
What would you do?:

This is a stupid question. What are we supposed to say? Oh, I want to be more legendary for my brutality than Caligula!!!

Ragnar got that covered.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:39:58 PM
A couple of things:

1) Make Ann the first lady :P.

2) Appoint competent, educated individuals to state positions based on merit. Have state companies working on a profitable basis.

3) Grant civil liberties to my citizens.

4) Devolve as much power as possible to local governments which are democratically elected.

5) Institute a comprehensive education system and make sure that graduates can find jobs.

Hopefully this will create an economically strong country with the allusion of true liberty so I can keep control without blood on my hands.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 3:46:44 PM
At 3/11/2011 3:39:58 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
A couple of things:

2) Appoint competent, educated individuals to state positions based on merit. Have state companies working on a profitable basis.

4) Devolve as much power as possible to local governments which are democratically elected.

5) Institute a comprehensive education system and make sure that graduates can find jobs.

Hopefully this will create an economically strong country with the allusion of true liberty so I can keep control without blood on my hands.

C'mon, even though that would be "authoritarian" according to our standards, that would be more free than the majority of countries(including America). Go a little mad!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:02:31 PM
At 3/11/2011 3:46:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
A couple of things:

C'mon, even though that would be "authoritarian" according to our standards, that would be more free than the majority of countries(including America). Go a little mad!

Lol, a dictator has never done that before, so it's rather unique :P.

But, if you want me to be crazy,

2) Institute state Atheism, promote Atheist teachings and tax the s&^* out of religious institutions and individuals professing religious faith.

3) Secretly fund religious extremists which arise out of this, use their violence as an excuse to crush them mercilessly like a twig.

4) Meanwhile, create a USB-to-Power adaptor (http://sethioz.co.uk...), which saves a fudge load of money on energy. Dump this excess energy in excess countries, making them rely on us for everything.

5) Cut the power to a random foreign country, send them a Facebook message saying sorry but we don't know where we're shooting in the dark (Which they won't get anyway), and thus bomb their cities mercilessly. Restore the power and send them a troll face.

6) Meanwhile consume public debate over healthcare while this happens.

7) Create an economic stimulus by pumping funds into the sex industry for me and Ann :P.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:02:31 PM
At 3/11/2011 3:01:26 PM, FREEDO wrote:
At 3/11/2011 11:07:19 AM, OreEle wrote:

For an authoritarian I thought you would be a little more authoritarian. Also, lol@ the anti tobacco and marijuana program.

Well, there is probably more, but that was all I thought of at the time. Obviously the constitution would be done away with (since as a ditator, I would not accept anything limiting my power), but I want the constitution removed anyway.

Oh, I'd probably be tearing apart state rights and moving to the federal government, which would make it more authoritarian (probably more so than nationalizing entire industries).

Namely, I'd make federal regulations more strict, but still give the states the right to be more strict than the feds. So if there are federal restrictions on gun ownership, states could be more strict than the feds, but could not be less strict.

That is another thing that would likely happen. Limits on gun ownership, down to hunting rifles, shotguns, and semi-automatic handguns with significant waiting periods and background checks.

And probably a national database of citizens. Everyone's finger print, licence plate, serial number on a gun or other intended weapons, would be kept, not just for already convicted criminals. So if we have a crime and find a finger print, we can match it against all citizens, not just current criminals. This would also do away with social security cards and numbersl. People would only be granted an actual card if something happen that caused them to lose their finger prints.

This is easily protected against fraud, since if a false person claims to be you, says "I, uh, lost my finger prints, can I get a card to use." as soon as you use your real finger prints (for like buying a car, or house, or get a loan), that will trip the system, and we'll know that the fingers are the real person and the card is the fake.

And as such, there would be more strict border protection (since obviously illegals would not have their finger prints taken).
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:12:06 PM
At 3/11/2011 4:02:31 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 3/11/2011 3:46:44 PM, FREEDO wrote:
A couple of things:

Lol, a dictator has never done that before, so it's rather unique :P.

But, if you want me to be crazy,

2) Institute state Atheism, promote Atheist teachings and tax the s&^* out of religious institutions and individuals professing religious faith.

3) Secretly fund religious extremists which arise out of this, use their violence as an excuse to crush them mercilessly like a twig.

4) Meanwhile, create a USB-to-Power adaptor (http://sethioz.co.uk...), which saves a fudge load of money on energy. Dump this excess energy in excess countries, making them rely on us for everything.

5) Cut the power to a random foreign country, send them a Facebook message saying sorry but we don't know where we're shooting in the dark (Which they won't get anyway), and thus bomb their cities mercilessly. Restore the power and send them a troll face.

6) Meanwhile consume public debate over healthcare while this happens.

7) Create an economic stimulus by pumping funds into the sex industry for me and Ann :P.

LMAO thats more like it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:18:59 PM
At 3/11/2011 4:10:46 PM, Grape wrote:
How large of a country do I control?

Erm, let's say it's the size of France. It's a country that doesn't actually exist.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:36:02 PM
At 3/11/2011 4:18:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:

Erm, let's say it's the size of France. It's a country that doesn't actually exist.

I thought we were talking about the US.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 4:42:50 PM
At 3/11/2011 4:36:02 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 3/11/2011 4:18:59 PM, FREEDO wrote:

I thought we were talking about the US.

I didn't make the thread with any country in mind. It doesn't really matter.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 5:00:50 PM
Besides my drug policy, I would aslo have...

No taxes. Why take their money when you can take their labor? I would force my people to quickly become the most industrialized nation in the world.

Universal healthcare. So I can convertly decide who lives and dies.

Universal education. All children, once born, are consficated and enter the education program immediately. The state is their new parents.

No prisons. There are no prisons because there are criminals...period. If someone breaks the law...they never existed.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Andromeda_Z
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/11/2011 10:10:28 PM
If (in a parallel universe) I was an authoritarian dictator, these would be my policies:
1. Everyone has a gun, as soon as they're old enough to have one. This would decrease the rates of violent crime because you wouldn't want to mess with someone that could kill you for it. There is a small chance that the citizens would try to use their weapons against me, but I don't think they would because of my next two policies, which are...

2. Universal healthcare. Partly to keep the people content and complacent, but mostly so I have complete control over it.

3. Legalize all drugs. People aren't going to overthrow a dictator if they're too intoxicated to use all of the weapons I ordered them to have.

4. I'd also limit everything on the internet. No contact with other countries, I wouldn't want them getting inspiration from the stories of other countries' revolutions. Of course, I'd make them think they had acess to the whole internet, and if anyone found out otherwise, they'd "disappear".I wouldn't want them wondering what was so important about the outside world that I'd try to keep it away from them.