Junk Food and Food Stamps

Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 11:51:48 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.timesargus.com...

There's already a restriction on Food stamps that keeps our tax paying dollars from paying for SNAP card recipients smoking and alcohol addictions.

As I understand, the point of program is to feed the hungry, those that are going through poor finances in there life right now and while there not back on there feet yet, we make sure they still get the daily bread they need so they don't starve. Doesn't it make you feel good knowing some of your money is going toward such a noble cause!

However, from working at a convenience store for a few months, I've notices most of the time those cards are purely used on candy and soda. and not just a little bit at a time either. then after the purchase of the tooth decaying sweets they use real cash to purchase a pack of Marboral 100's or Sonoma's lites, and often a 12 pack of Busch or a Old Milwaukee 6 pack, maybe a Budwiser 24 ounce single. and if they discover they have some ones in change after the purchase they give them back to me to use them on as many lottery tickets they can afford.

I think only about one older man ever makes a purchase for actual basic food needs like eggs, bread and milk.

If these people are depending on our tax dollars to support there basic needs, it should come with restrictions on things like all the junk food. some might say 'but don't you think its just cruel to deny them a candy bar now and then?' Dont you see though, a change to keep candy and soda from SNAP card purchases would not remove candy and soda from the life of the card holder. they could still afford them with the same cash that purchased the box of ten packs of cigarettes, the beer, and the scratch off tickets. they still somehow afford to have plenty left over to purchase cooked food that dosent go on their snap cards and buy the food to support there dogs as well. given an income that allows a range for those kind of regular purchases still satisfying the sweet tooth is still a SNAP to make happen on that budget, it doesn't need to go on the tax payer budget.

besides that its cheaper to support there health through the SNAP card restriction than it will be to rely purely on supporting their decaying teeth with medicaid.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
banker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 1:29:23 PM
whats your point? is this going to solve our deficit? if so we would have done it along time ago..! if you just want to show a example of the whole picture then you have a point.!! but its just a tiny part of our huge problem..!!: At 3/21/2011 11:51:48 AM, Marauder wrote:
http://www.timesargus.com...

There's already a restriction on Food stamps that keeps our tax paying dollars from paying for SNAP card recipients smoking and alcohol addictions.

As I understand, the point of program is to feed the hungry, those that are going through poor finances in there life right now and while there not back on there feet yet, we make sure they still get the daily bread they need so they don't starve. Doesn't it make you feel good knowing some of your money is going toward such a noble cause!

However, from working at a convenience store for a few months, I've notices most of the time those cards are purely used on candy and soda. and not just a little bit at a time either. then after the purchase of the tooth decaying sweets they use real cash to purchase a pack of Marboral 100's or Sonoma's lites, and often a 12 pack of Busch or a Old Milwaukee 6 pack, maybe a Budwiser 24 ounce single. and if they discover they have some ones in change after the purchase they give them back to me to use them on as many lottery tickets they can afford.

I think only about one older man ever makes a purchase for actual basic food needs like eggs, bread and milk.

If these people are depending on our tax dollars to support there basic needs, it should come with restrictions on things like all the junk food. some might say 'but don't you think its just cruel to deny them a candy bar now and then?' Dont you see though, a change to keep candy and soda from SNAP card purchases would not remove candy and soda from the life of the card holder. they could still afford them with the same cash that purchased the box of ten packs of cigarettes, the beer, and the scratch off tickets. they still somehow afford to have plenty left over to purchase cooked food that dosent go on their snap cards and buy the food to support there dogs as well. given an income that allows a range for those kind of regular purchases still satisfying the sweet tooth is still a SNAP to make happen on that budget, it doesn't need to go on the tax payer budget.

besides that its cheaper to support there health through the SNAP card restriction than it will be to rely purely on supporting their decaying teeth with medicaid.
the most important source for muslim Arabs:

"And thereafter We [Allah] said to the Children of Israel: 'Dwell securely in the Promised Land. And when the last warning will come to pass, we will gather you together in a mingled crowd'.".

- Qur'an 17:104 -

Any sincere muslim must recognize the Land they call "Palestine" as the Jewish Homeland, according to the book considered by muslims to be the most sacred word and Allah's ultimate revelation.

Ibn Khaldun, one of the most creditable
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/21/2011 1:33:40 PM
Well, soda (the generic brand at least) is cheaper than milk, and other "healthy" alternatives.

I strongly support that food stamps only be used to provide generic foods and drinks, and if the person tries to use it for some name brand, to only have the food stamps apply to the amount that the generic is worth.

Example, the generic brand milk at my local store is $2.19 a gallon. If you wanted the name brand milk that is $2.99 a gallon, you'd have to fork over the $0.80 difference yourself, food stamps wouldn't cover it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:50:22 PM
At 3/21/2011 1:29:23 PM, banker wrote:
whats your point? is this going to solve our deficit? if so we would have done it along time ago..! if you just want to show a example of the whole picture then you have a point.!! but its just a tiny part of our huge problem..!!

people like you make me sick that want to keep from doing any good or talking about any kind of useful measures all because they 'dont solve the whole problem'

It dosent matter if something solves the whole problem, if it aids in any of the problem its good. had all the things that's been turned down because they addressed 'just a tiny part of the problem' it would have added up to together to solving our deficit by now.

besides that, this is more about just use of money than it is as a tactic to stabilize our economy. If I have a program to give drowning people without boats something to stay afloat on I dont want this program giving them Yacts. the point was to keep them from drowning while they get there own bearing again to make it on there own, a canoe would suffice for the job. Likewise It's not right for using money a program gives to support theme to support their dog, there addictions, and their sweet tooth's. It's not supposed to pay for luxureys, but the necessities.
One act of Rebellion created all the darkness and evil in the world; One life of Total Obedience created a path back to eternity and God.

A Scout is Obedient.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:13:17 PM
well junk food tends to have a "high calorie"/price ratio. If your main concern is just survival, then the junk food is necessary.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 11:15:38 AM
At 3/23/2011 1:13:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:
well junk food tends to have a "high calorie"/price ratio. If your main concern is just survival, then the junk food is necessary.

If it was necessary it would not be called 'junk'.

also absolutely none of what you just said made any sense.

A Scout is Obedient.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 11:19:49 AM
At 3/24/2011 11:15:38 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 3/23/2011 1:13:17 PM, darkkermit wrote:

If it was necessary it would not be called 'junk'.

also absolutely none of what you just said made any sense.

Calories are needed for survival. And so junk food (which high calories) can be very benefitial when on a limited budget. When you are not restricted by a tight budget, then you can afford more expensive, healthier calories.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 12:16:41 PM
Most poor people are fvcking stupid. They eat all that crap because they are close minded, and usually are unwilling to try new food, or take a gamble. I know people who live off of Mac and Cheese. To me, that sh!t is junk food.

I'd know, I'm poor. The things that other people eat would make me sick if I often times didn't have to eat it out of necessity. I'm not on food stamps, I avoid the sh!t out of the government.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Marauder
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 11:43:38 AM
At 3/24/2011 12:16:41 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Most poor people are fvcking stupid. They eat all that crap because they are close minded, and usually are unwilling to try new food, or take a gamble.

poor people are never willing to take a gamble and yet they come and buy lottery tickets from me every day?

A Scout is Obedient.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 12:59:05 PM
At 3/25/2011 11:43:38 AM, Marauder wrote:
At 3/24/2011 12:16:41 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Most poor people are fvcking stupid. They eat all that crap because they are close minded, and usually are unwilling to try new food, or take a gamble.

poor people are never willing to take a gamble and yet they come and buy lottery tickets from me every day?

I said most of them were fvcking stupid, didn't I? ;p
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 1:05:13 PM
By the way, I am in no means trying to be insensitive to the poor. I live on the South Side of Chicago. Basically a gang ridden sh!thole inhabited by heroin addicts and dumb foos like I just described.

I can't stress enough that I'm talking generally about the type of people who live off of chips, pop, mac and cheese, and other sh!tty foods.

If you have food stamps, get some real food. There was a time in my drug days when I had Link, which is basically the same thing as food stamps, just on a card.. Something they do in Il.

It was the best I'd ever eaten in my life. I pretty much ate and drank whatever I wanted from the store. I took advantage of it, and started cooking stuff. I also discovered that I actually prefer food that is supposed to be healthier for you.

In fact, I feel like a sucker for not getting food stamps right now, I bet I could easily get them.