Jump to topic:

Government Responsibility

nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:25:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was reading an article that highlighted an interesting point---the Canadian government doesn't really have a protocol for extracting "citizens of convenience" out of countries undergoing some sort of disaster.

When they say "citizens of convenience", they mean that these people are legally Canadian citizens, but have chosen to live elsewhere for a number of years. I forget which country they were talking about specifically, but apparently during some war, the Canadian government paid a lot of money to get its citizens out, and once the threat was over, those "citizens of convenience" went back to their 'home' country.

The article focused on the disaster in Japan. Should the Canadian government pay to extract legal Canadian citizens out of Japan, even though they've chosen to live in Japan and make Japan their home for the past x amount of years? And even though they'll likely go back to Japan once the threat is gone?

So my question, really, is this: at what point do you think a government has a responsibility to its citizens? Do they have an obligation to citizens no longer living in that country?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 1:24:51 AM
Anyway, I'm inclined to say no, based on the fact that they don't pay taxes.

"Turner questioned the fairness of paying CAD$75,000 for each evacuee, saying, among other things, "that's a hell of a lot of money to donate to people who do not live here, don't pay taxes here, and may never come here again in their lives."[1] The actual cost was about $6,300 for each evacuee ($94 million for 15,000 people)"
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 9:16:05 AM
The government has no responsibility to the people and vice versa.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 10:18:34 AM
It really depends on the situation. I work for a Japanese company (well, an American company that is owned by a Japanese company), Kershaw knives (Manufacturing and Management here in the US, but they are owned by Kai-USA, 100% in Japan). Our controller is from Japan, but he lives here and works here as a go between for Kai and Kershaw. His taxes go to Oregon and the US, but he is really serving the interest of the Japanese company that owns us, and so, is serving in the interest of Japan. If something happened here in Oregon, I would feel that Japan would have a vested interest in protecting him (though it would likely be coming through Kai funds, rather than the government).

As for just people that are living outside the country, working completely independent of the country or companies of the country, I'd say no.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 10:51:34 AM
His taxes go to Oregon and the US, but he is really serving the interest of the Japanese company that owns us, and so, is serving in the interest of Japan.

That's a rather fascist sounding idea. Naive fascism for that matter.

The government has responsibility to those who pay user fees for a contract. Its slaves, on the other hand... well, asking for responsibility is the wrong issue.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 11:00:14 AM
At 3/23/2011 10:51:34 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
His taxes go to Oregon and the US, but he is really serving the interest of the Japanese company that owns us, and so, is serving in the interest of Japan.

That's a rather fascist sounding idea. Naive fascism for that matter.

It's not really an idea, more of an observation.

The government has responsibility to those who pay user fees for a contract. Its slaves, on the other hand... well, asking for responsibility is the wrong issue.

oh Ragnar.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:38:06 PM
At 3/23/2011 9:57:37 AM, Danielle wrote:
Wow, hilarious. You guys should take your act on the road!

These kids are horny, so they're going to masturbate rather than actually engage in the topic at hand.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/23/2011 12:44:30 PM
At 3/23/2011 12:38:06 PM, TheAtheistAllegiance wrote:
At 3/23/2011 9:57:37 AM, Danielle wrote:
Wow, hilarious. You guys should take your act on the road!

These kids are horny, so they're going to masturbate rather than actually engage in the topic at hand.

known as a circle jerk.