Jump to topic:

Definition of Irony

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 4:39:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Senator Barack Obama...December of '07
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 5:00:17 PM
Well the ends justifies the means, just like getting Russia out of Afghanastan justifies arming the taliban.

Now who are these rebels Obama speaks of?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 5:03:53 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:56:35 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Your telling me that politicians are two face liars!? Wow! I didn't know that!

I wasn't talking to you though.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 5:06:48 PM
At 3/24/2011 4:39:42 PM, lewis20 wrote:
"The President does not have power under the Constitution to unilaterally authorize a military attack in a situation that does not involve stopping an actual or imminent threat to the nation." - Senator Barack Obama...December of '07

weird, Rush Limbaugh said the same thing yesterday.

I'd say that Obama was wrong back in 2007, rather then now.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/24/2011 10:34:08 PM
At 3/24/2011 5:06:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

I'd say that Obama was wrong back in 2007, rather then now.

Actually, I think Congressional authority is required, and Obama is a really good politician (liar). It's F-ing stupid too, because he could have gotten the votes to enforce the no-fly zone.
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 8:23:41 AM

If he acts with the backing of a UN resolution then it is hardly unilateral is it?
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 8:39:33 AM
Here you go;

i·ro·ny (r-n, r-)
n. pl. i·ro·nies
a. The use of words to express something different from and often opposite to their literal meaning.
b. An expression or utterance marked by a deliberate contrast between apparent and intended meaning.
c. A literary style employing such contrasts for humorous or rhetorical effect. See Synonyms at wit1.
a. Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs: "Hyde noted the irony of Ireland's copying the nation she most hated" (Richard Kain).
b. An occurrence, result, or circumstance notable for such incongruity. See Usage Note at ironic.
3. Dramatic irony.
4. Socratic irony.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 9:25:44 AM
At 3/25/2011 8:23:41 AM, feverish wrote:

If he acts with the backing of a UN resolution then it is hardly unilateral is it?

Umm.. Yes.. It is.

he is One branch of the US government... Acting on behalf of the US

The UN is not part of the US government.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/25/2011 9:28:59 AM

note: he was referencing the constitution.. he was talking about Powers of Government as given in the constitution.

The UN is quite irrelevant to the matter.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 4:35:16 AM
At 3/25/2011 9:25:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 3/25/2011 8:23:41 AM, feverish wrote:

Umm.. Yes.. It is.

note: he was referencing the constitution.. he was talking about Powers of Government as given in the constitution.

The UN is quite irrelevant to the matter.

Fair enough if it's within the context of the US government. I was taking unilateral in a totally literal sense.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 1:07:18 PM
At 3/25/2011 9:25:44 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Umm.. Yes.. It is.

English fail on your part. Unilateral means one-sided. If Obama operated with the support of other groups, then it is not unilateral; it does not matter if the other groups are within nor without the U.S.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/28/2011 2:15:59 PM
At 3/28/2011 1:07:18 PM, PervRat wrote:
English fail on your part. Unilateral means one-sided. If Obama operated with the support of other groups, then it is not unilateral; it does not matter if the other groups are within nor without the U.S.

Obama wrote:

Under the constitution the UN has no power whatsoever in acting on behalf of americans.

there are 3 branches which do have such powers.. and in his acting on behalf of the american people.. he did so without the approval of the legislature (he did so on behalf of ONLY the executive branch of US govt.) something which He argued was unconstitutional in 2007.

he, in his role in the United States Government acted Unilaterally.. As the Sole agent.. in a capacity which he argued in 07 would be illegal.

the UN has no powers to act on behalf of the US under the constitution... and if obama acts in concert with the UN his actions still have only the powers granted to the Executive branch in regard to US government.

it's like saying that if Obama acts in concert with Joe from Timbuktu that he's not acting Unilaterally.

well, guess what.. Joe from Timbuktu is not recognized under the constitution (as Obama was Proper in being so precise) as a source of Authority for making decisions for US governance...

The Exec, legis, and Judic. are the relevant actors here... The UN is not.

Metaphysics: