Total Posts:16|Showing Posts:1-16
Jump to topic:

The military loved bush. But Obama........

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 1:11:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 10:00:35 PM
And yet under Dubya, a lot of soldiers publicly went AWOL over continuing the illegal war in Iraq, and recruiting centers had trouble meeting quotas as Bush's actions made military service lose its appeal to young adults.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 10:36:00 PM
At 4/1/2011 10:00:35 PM, PervRat wrote:
And yet under Dubya, a lot of soldiers publicly went AWOL over continuing the illegal war in Iraq, and recruiting centers had trouble meeting quotas as Bush's actions made military service lose its appeal to young adults.

But now that Obama is in office military service has more appeal to young adults, amirite?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:05:37 PM
At 4/1/2011 10:36:00 PM, lewis20 wrote:

But now that Obama is in office military service has more appeal to young adults, amirite?

Not sure. Its my impression that Bush left a very dark mark over the honor of the military with the lies told to the American people and the world, and it may be awhile before a military life becomes palatable again. I haven't been keeping as close tabs. I imagine the terrible economy is a counterfactor though, as despite the lackluster pay soldiers get, it essentially comes with free rent and the GI Bill is what it takes to make college affordable.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/1/2011 11:42:25 PM

A lot of those that signed under Bush are likely individuals that held similar views as Bush, and so are naturally not going to be happy with Obama.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:33:52 AM
At 4/1/2011 11:42:25 PM, OreEle wrote:

A lot of those that signed under Bush are likely individuals that held similar views as Bush, and so are naturally not going to be happy with Obama.

It is likely a liberal soldier would have an easier time justifying going AWOL than a conservative soldier.

Go figure.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 11:59:34 AM
I think there's a great misconception that the military votes nearly exclusively Republican, but there are also a lot of liberals who serve. John Kerry, for instance.

I myself had a failed stint out of high school in 1994 in the U.S. Navy.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 12:06:57 PM
At 4/2/2011 11:59:34 AM, PervRat wrote:
I think there's a great misconception that the military votes nearly exclusively Republican, but there are also a lot of liberals who serve. John Kerry, for instance.

I myself had a failed stint out of high school in 1994 in the U.S. Navy.

I Got an honorable discharge from the Navy in '92

yay :)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 12:11:53 PM
http://www.lewrockwell.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 12:19:18 PM
At 4/2/2011 12:11:53 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The people that think the military is a job are going to eventually be disappointed.
The people that think it's an adventure usually get the most out of it.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 1:31:45 PM
At 4/2/2011 12:19:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

The people that think the military is a job are going to eventually be disappointed.

When I was in, most folk were seeking military service as a reliable job and an escape from bad neighborhoods. South and east L.A. were heavily represented in my training company, several such recruits said they were trying to get away from gangs and violence.

Its a sad truth that folk from poor families are far more likely to enlist. It would be extremely rare for the son or daughter from a wealthy and/or influential (like a member of congress) family to enlist.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 1:39:08 PM
At 4/2/2011 1:31:45 PM, PervRat wrote:
At 4/2/2011 12:19:18 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

When I was in, most folk were seeking military service as a reliable job and an escape from bad neighborhoods. South and east L.A. were heavily represented in my training company, several such recruits said they were trying to get away from gangs and violence.

They joined the military to get away from violence?

Its a sad truth that folk from poor families are far more likely to enlist. It would be extremely rare for the son or daughter from a wealthy and/or influential (like a member of congress) family to enlist.

Well, one of the biggest things is that the military will pay for college (that is like 100% of their advertising here in Oregon), so the rich are not going to be influenced by that, while the poor are.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 2:33:00 PM
At 4/2/2011 1:39:08 PM, OreEle wrote:

Seems ironic, but yes. There are some neighbohoods in the U.S. where shootings happen just about daily if not weekly.
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 2:38:19 PM
At 4/2/2011 2:33:00 PM, PervRat wrote:

Seems ironic, but yes. There are some neighbohoods in the U.S. where shootings happen just about daily if not weekly.

It makes sense
Street: get shot or shoot people for no real gain(unless you sell drugs)
Military: get shot or shoot people for money and benefits ( plus if you stay in long enough more money/benefits)
Also you can choose which branch to join
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/2/2011 3:36:41 PM
At 4/2/2011 2:33:00 PM, PervRat wrote:

It's actually safer in combat when you have reliable people looking out for your back. You can never tell when random inner city violence is going to take you out.