Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

What of al-Qaeda steps in to help the rebels?

PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:45:18 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I keep hearing rumors that al-Qaeda/al-Qaida (however you want to spell the Arabic name with the English alphabet) has its fingers in the anti-Ghadaffi rebels, and this is given as a reason especially by conservatives in the U.S. to not help them.

To me, that would be precisely a reason to help them ... bin Laden, I understand, did not get support from throughout the Middle East by chanting 'death to America' and thus attracting folk, but al Qaeda made "grassroots" efforts by building schools and other infrustructure to help gain itself some 'hearts and minds' which it could then turn to its jihadist drive.

If I am not totally off base in that, then if the U.S., NATO, and our friendly allies in the Middle East cooperating in this endeavour pull out or do not give full support, it seems to me that would basically gift the rebel movement to al-Qaeda who would have no problems acting decisively to arm the rebels and help them conquer Ghadaffi and create a new Libyan state that would then, of couse, be a haven for al-Qaeda.

Am I the only one thinking this?
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 2:42:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/5/2011 10:45:18 AM, PervRat wrote:
I keep hearing rumors that al-Qaeda/al-Qaida (however you want to spell the Arabic name with the English alphabet) has its fingers in the anti-Ghadaffi rebels, and this is given as a reason especially by conservatives in the U.S. to not help them.

To me, that would be precisely a reason to help them ... bin Laden, I understand, did not get support from throughout the Middle East by chanting 'death to America' and thus attracting folk, but al Qaeda made "grassroots" efforts by building schools and other infrustructure to help gain itself some 'hearts and minds' which it could then turn to its jihadist drive.

If I am not totally off base in that, then if the U.S., NATO, and our friendly allies in the Middle East cooperating in this endeavour pull out or do not give full support, it seems to me that would basically gift the rebel movement to al-Qaeda who would have no problems acting decisively to arm the rebels and help them conquer Ghadaffi and create a new Libyan state that would then, of couse, be a haven for al-Qaeda.

Am I the only one thinking this?

Al-Kida isn't the be-all/end-all of justice in the Middle East - they are merely an inconvenient ends that has resulted from poverty, desperation, and oppression. In fact all these problems in these various countries are basically the same; I have lost interest in even following the news anymore because it's really quite silly. Americans just want to drive their SUVs and then be alerted when bombs start dropping so they can hopefully see some heads with towels wrapped around them being catapulted into the air (minus the body of course). Then, before we get around to talking about how it's quite difficult to imagine anything good happening in an area where someone works all day to afford a clean bucket of water, we start declaring ourselves the "broke" ones because gas is approaching half of what the EU pays for it. This thread may be well-intentioned but it will not scratch the surface of any real cause of what we are seeing. But please, enjoy yourselves while you pretentiously play the 'concerned citizen' who's ready to see things straightened out.
kfc