Jump to topic:

Ban on alternative medicine?

Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:21:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
While I disagree in principal, reading that article was hilarious.

"the penalties for the "unauthorized practice of medicine," essentially criminalizes the practice of unlicensed forms of medicine, which includes the work of many naturopaths, homeopaths, herbalists, aromatherapists,"

"SB 31 states that anyone who practices medicine or surgery without having been first "licensed and registered to do so" will be guilty of a Class I felony."

"So if passed, SB 31 will essentially make those who practice alternative medicine without an official, state-sanctioned license and permit, criminals of the likes of sexual predators and cross burners."

The last one is a bit grimdark. Alternative medicine has been the indirect cause for many a person's death.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 3:25:41 PM
Hah, I didn't even see the rest of the article:

"SB 31 is really just another way to target alternative practitioners and reign in the practice of medicine to only that which has been approved by the government overlords."

"they have helped thousands of patients over the years"

http://media.tumblr.com...
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 6:49:19 PM
At 4/5/2011 3:03:47 PM, OreEle wrote:
Ban it? no. Require it to be accurate in its claims? yes.

That requires empowering the State to determine matters of Scientific Truth for everyone else. Which sounds dangerous.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Outspoken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 7:05:24 PM
The last one is a bit grimdark. Alternative medicine has been the indirect cause for many a person's death.

The exact same can be said of traditional medicine. I'm willing to bet traditional medicine has caused far more deaths than alternative medicine.

I do agree with requiring a license to practice any form of medicine. I understand the reasons for this. I'm not sure if a felony is due for those that fail to comply.

On a separate note:
Traditional Western medicine is fueled by pharmaceutical companies looking to make profit and at the expense of people's lives. Turn on your television; make note of the following: nearly every drug meant to cure one's ailments, riddles the patient with more than one new ailment. When will anyone raise a red flag or pass a bill against this? Who says the cure *has* to have side affects? Why do people accept this?

The government has its ways of "masking" its support and/or defending status quo. I'll assert that this is one way. It wouldn't surprise me to learn it was the underlying root of this bill.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 7:27:08 PM
At 4/5/2011 6:49:19 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

That requires empowering the State to determine matters of Scientific Truth for everyone else. Which sounds dangerous.

Scientific truth is true inside or outside the "powers" of the state. Unless the state is going around telling others that they cannot study things, there is no real danger.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 7:52:38 PM
At 4/5/2011 7:27:08 PM, OreEle wrote:

Scientific truth is true inside or outside the "powers" of the state. Unless the state is going around telling others that they cannot study things, there is no real danger.

except that they get to define what "scientific truth" IS for the purposes of applying the law. and they can ignore any findings that don't conform to their idea.

also requiring them to be accurate in their claims effectively IS banning the practice :P
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:09:24 PM

I don't see anyone threatening to bring down FOX News for claiming marijuana will kill you if you smoke it. We're not talking about accuracy here, we're talking about monopoly.
kfc
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/5/2011 10:54:33 PM
At 4/5/2011 7:27:08 PM, OreEle wrote:

Scientific truth is true inside or outside the "powers" of the state.
Inside the powers of the state what we call "Science" can no longer be pursued, and Canon takes on the name "Science."

Unless the state is going around telling others that they cannot study things, there is no real danger.
If one cannot argue for a minority hypothesis, one cannot get funding for experiments to evidence it from the people who fund those sorts of things. Since the State is run by elected officials and those appointed by them, whether something is "Accurate" in its eyes depends on whether it conforms to the hypothesis of a majority of scientists. And that's the best case scenario, a lot of "truths" will just get decided in backroom deals where some senator promises some official that a good word for promotion will be put in, and some crony pays the senator for the trouble.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:09:39 AM
At 4/5/2011 7:05:24 PM, Outspoken wrote:

The exact same can be said of traditional medicine. I'm willing to bet traditional medicine has caused far more deaths than alternative medicine.

True, but it's not exactly comparable in most cases.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:46:40 AM
I miss the good old days when salesmen would sucker people into sticking radium pellets in their noses to cure sinus problems. I miss the good old days when you could go to the nearest shop and get dangerous X-rays shot at you just so you could see your bones wiggling around in your shoe.

I never was around in those good old days.

Since everyone HAS to have it, make sure the food that is sold is safe.. Other than that.. You should never deny someone their god given right to exploit the fact that the people around them are schmucks.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Heathen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 11:26:27 AM
Stupid, if someone believes in and wants to use more natural methods of medicine then just let them.
"Once an object has been seen, it is impossible to put the mind back to the same condition it was in before it saw it." - Thomas Paine