Gomn't shut down

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:01:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Think it'll happen?

Which side will lose, the dems or the reps?

I heard that they will still have the ability to collect taxes, but won't be able to provide refund checks. Oh, and apparently congress is "essential personnel"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:15:22 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:01:37 PM, innomen wrote:
Think it'll happen?

Both sides are desperately trying to make the shutdown appear to be the other side's fault. They know that for most americans, the shut down is not viewed as a good thing (if it was viewed positively, each side would be clambering to take responsibility).

Ultimately, I believe that democrats are going to view this as a republican fault, and republicans are going to view this as a democrat fault.

Moderates/Independents are probably going to take the side of whoever came up with the last deal. So if the last deal was democrats saying "here is $20 billion in cuts" and the republicans say "no that is not enough" it will go as the republicans' fault. If the last deal is republicans saying "her is only $50 billion in cuts" and the democrats say "no, that is too much" it will go as the democrats' fault.

I heard that they will still have the ability to collect taxes, but won't be able to provide refund checks. Oh, and apparently congress is "essential personnel"

yes, congress is because if congress stops meeting, then the issue will never get "resolved." Though I think their pay should be cut to minimum wage with no more healthcare coverage until they get stuff figured out.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 12:20:01 PM
Its both sides fault but I'm blaming the Dems more, they want to compromise at 33 billion in cuts and the GOP wants 60 some billion in cuts.
Both of which are ridiculous and are = or < a drop in the bucket.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:01:44 PM
Think it'll happen?

I think this shutdown is another smoke screen. One day of no government services won't compensate for the billions we are still spending in 3 bogus wars.
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:04:08 PM
At 4/6/2011 12:20:01 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Its both sides fault but I'm blaming the Dems more, they want to compromise at 33 billion in cuts and the GOP wants 60 some billion in cuts.
Both of which are ridiculous and are = or < a drop in the bucket.

It's Congress as a whole. No one in the US ever wants to be held accountable. You are blaming Congressman that WE have put into office who shaft us everytimes they get into office. The general populus is easily duped thats whay they are doing stuff like this, cause in the most powerful country we take or medicine and keep quiet everytime we are sold some bogus shyt.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:12:07 PM
Think it'll happen?

I hope not!

The republicans will lose, then lose again in 2012 over the matter!

Yep.
I really hope not!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:31:52 PM
At 4/6/2011 2:12:07 PM, comoncents wrote:
Think inflation is coming?

I hope not!

Everyone that is a Democrat will not feel inflation.

Yep.
I really hope not!

How can you justify congress not being essential?
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 2:39:12 PM
At 4/6/2011 2:31:52 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

Anarchy.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 3:30:55 PM

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

Not that they are not essential, but that being essential allows them to get a paycheck.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 3:31:23 PM
At 4/6/2011 2:39:12 PM, OreEle wrote:

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

Anarchy.

Is the worst idea, ever!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:25:15 PM

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

Right....do they get one of their spring breaks soon? Does anyone notice when they aren't in session? I know that Ben Franklin said we are the most safe when congress is not in session. Keep in mind this is because they didn't pass a budget last year...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:27:15 PM
At 4/6/2011 4:25:15 PM, innomen wrote:

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

Right....do they get one of their spring breaks soon? Does anyone notice when they aren't in session? I know that Ben Franklin said we are the most safe when congress is not in session. Keep in mind this is because they didn't pass a budget last year...

No, but if they are not in session because of a lack of a budget, then how will they be able to pass a budget? If we want the entire government to shut down, I can understand wanting this, but if you don't, then they have to keep going.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 4:49:25 PM
At 4/6/2011 4:27:15 PM, OreEle wrote:

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

No, but if they are not in session because of a lack of a budget, then how will they be able to pass a budget? If we want the entire government to shut down, I can understand wanting this, but if you don't, then they have to keep going.

They could "work" for free. It's not really work at this point, all the budgetary numbers have been crunched, it's now just about coming to agreement. I'm okay with them doing that without getting paid since they should have had it done a long time ago.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 5:13:57 PM
At 4/6/2011 3:31:23 PM, comoncents wrote:
Anarchy.

Is the worst idea, ever!

Would you care to debate that? I am going on a trip tomorrow, but I will be back by Saturday night.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/6/2011 5:19:30 PM
At 4/6/2011 4:49:25 PM, innomen wrote:
At 4/6/2011 4:27:15 PM, OreEle wrote:

I hope not!

Yep.
I really hope not!

They could "work" for free. It's not really work at this point, all the budgetary numbers have been crunched, it's now just about coming to agreement. I'm okay with them doing that without getting paid since they should have had it done a long time ago.

I'm fine with them not getting paid too, or at least only getting paid a minimum amount.

I really think that our elected officials should not be paid if they are making over so much a year (meaning if they own businesses or investments or having lobbyists padding their pockets). I'd put this limit in, because I think that if Joe Farmer has good ideas, can convince the people and somehow manages to get elected, but isn't rich and doesn't have a bunch of investments, I don't want him to not be getting paid because that will only mean that he is more likely to be bought by corporate interest (or any special interests, not just corporate).

I'd like the see the reverse of a government shut down. I want them to be locked in there, with no bathrooms, and force them to stay there until this is resolved. Offering them nothing but sleeping bags, food, water, and buckets and toilet paper.
BangBang-Coconut
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/9/2011 11:26:02 PM
Think it'll happen?

I think it's ridiculous that the U.S. Government can't get over their childish disagreements, and actually use the government power for what it needs to; to protect and serve the people. It's just stupid; we've allowed our government to become a game.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 3:57:49 PM
At 4/6/2011 5:13:57 PM, Grape wrote:
Anarchy.

Is the worst idea, ever!

Would you care to debate that? I am going on a trip tomorrow, but I will be back by Saturday night.

Thers's a big difference between a sudden and unexpected vacuum of power and a planned community existing independent of centralized authority.
kfc
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 9:26:13 PM
At 4/10/2011 3:57:49 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 4/6/2011 5:13:57 PM, Grape wrote:
Anarchy.

Is the worst idea, ever!

Thers's a big difference between a sudden and unexpected vacuum of power and a planned community existing independent of centralized authority.

This.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 9:59:23 PM
I would for one be somewhat happy about it. If the government shuts down, essentially only the non-essential services will go. Since I believe that less government is good, this is a positive. Although really I believe that the non-essential services should be privatized, not shut-down. For example, the national forests should be privatized. This would actually save money and decreased the debt.

The only reason that I would be unhappy is because of my own self-interest. I applied for undergraduate research experience and an internship at the Idaho National Laboratory. If the government shuts down, I will not get a chance to do these over the summer, but to be honest I'm unlikely to get them either way.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/10/2011 11:05:09 PM
There were 16 government shutdowns under Carter, Reagan, Bush the Elder, and Carter. The only one that's remembered was the last one, under Clinton in 1995. That's because Carter did such an expert job of blaming the Republicans for it. After the shutdown, however, Clinton agreed to Republican budget proposals that ultimately led to a balanced budget. The other 15 shutdowns were non-events.

Approximately 15% of government is actually shut down. The President has broad discretion as to what parts of the government are deemed essential and which are not essential. Checks will go out to Social Security (too many votes at risk there) but not to the military (too many Republicans). Checks are only delayed, not lost.

The cuts of $38.5 billion are from total spending of about $3700 billion. The deficits in March alone were $232 billion.

We missed the shutdown for the trivial cuts, but stay tuned. The debt ceiling limit and the 2012 Budget are coming up quickly.
BilllyMayes
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/11/2011 11:06:40 PM
At 4/9/2011 11:26:02 PM, Hello-Orange wrote:
Think it'll happen?

I think it's ridiculous that the U.S. Government can't get over their childish disagreements, and actually use the government power for what it needs to; to protect and serve the people. It's just stupid; we've allowed our government to become a game.

I was actually thinking the same exact thing, but I wanted to add one more thing. It is really sad to see how our government "works". Anymore it is just a constant "they said, we said" fight between Democrats and Republicans. I remember seeing Boehner step up (sometime last week) and start slamming the Dems and the President right off the bat.

I was thinking to myself "do you REALLY not have anything more important to do?". On top of that, the meeting was between Republicans, the same thing that Republicans complained about the Democrats when they had more in office.

Now, I'm not saying that Republicans are the only ones at fault here. It's both parties being so far left and right (or so they say) and constant fighting over tiny details. They never seem to want to work together for any common good which is never going to get anything done.

As to the comment of who would have won, I would have to say everyone loses when the government shuts down, it shows a lack of cooperation between everyone.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/17/2011 9:10:41 PM
This is pretty good.
"America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership­. Americans deserve better. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit."
- Barrack Obama, 2006
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler