Jump to topic:

What does the Federal Government do for us

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:01:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I really don't see anything that justifies the 25% of my income they take.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:04:58 PM
It makes us look official and sh!t to the other countries.

Somebody has to pay for all those fancy congress suits.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 12:12:27 PM
Currently, the Federal Government is destroying civil liberties. It's rather sad that we are paying for our own chains.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:22:25 PM
Roads
Schools
Hospitals
police
fire service
civil service
security forces
armed forces
intelligence forces
quality control (food, clothing, electronic products, hygiene products, basically everything you consome is one way or another filtered through quality control in a non-censorship way to ensure you don't get LSD in your mouthwash or something)
Corporate regulation (what little there is)
Law enforcement in general (to protect worker's rights, consumer's rights and the like)
Upkeep of parks and public gathering areas.
Upkeep of all of the above

all for only 25% of what you earn, the sad part is that one of those bodies has probably saved your life at least once (most likely federal quality control) and you don't even know it.

But that's fine, keep b*tching, I'm sure if you whine loud enough Ron Paul will cry.
What fresh dickery is the internet up to today?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 2:51:14 PM
At 4/25/2011 2:22:25 PM, Veridas wrote:
Roads
Schools
Hospitals

Good.

police

Not good. They enslave people for expressing their civil liberties.

fire service

I never have and probably never will need a fire truck rescue.

civil service

Such as?

security forces

Not good. These are privacy invaders and lead to enslavement.

armed forces

Not good. Another name for this is death squad, killing agency.

intelligence forces

Not good. Another death inducing entity.

quality control (food, clothing, electronic products, hygiene products, basically everything you consome is one way or another filtered through quality control in a non-censorship way to ensure you don't get LSD in your mouthwash or something)

LSD has absolutely no harmful affects on the body. It doesn't affect your physiology, it only affects your mind and in a positive way. I would love to find LSD in my mouthwash, I don't get why you see that as bad.

Also, the government is responsible for poisoning our water supply with fluoride, and they even admit it but make up excuses for it like saying it's good for our teeth.

You don't like free market I take it.

Law enforcement in general (to protect worker's rights, consumer's rights and the like)

Notice it has the word "force" in it. This is an agency that gets to initiate force and violence without repercussion because they're "the law."

As Ron Paul rightly said "Government violence against non-violent [drug] users is notorious and has led to the unnecessary prison overpopulation.

Why is law enforcement initiating force on non-violent people just trying to peacefully smoke a blunt? This is an outrage and I can't believe you support such nonsense!

Good.

all for only 25% of what you earn, the sad part is that one of those bodies has probably saved your life at least once (most likely federal quality control) and you don't even know it.

But that's fine, keep b*tching, I'm sure if you whine loud enough Ron Paul will cry.

No.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 3:19:03 PM
Not good. They enslave people for expressing their civil liberties.

That's funny, I thought slavery was abolished. Besides, do you really think a cop wakes up one day and thinks to himself. "You know, I think today I'll go infringe on someone's right not to quarter troops in their home"

I never have and probably never will need a fire truck rescue.

and yet should the day ever come when you or someone you know does, I'm sure you'll be glad as hell that they were there.

Such as?

The guys that organise voter stations and plan out the creation of and upkeep of just about everything else on the list (roads, schools and hospitals for one) they are the nameless, faceless people in suits that keep various oversight, regulatory and other departments in check and running.

"Not good. These are privacy invaders and lead to enslavement."

Are you one of those people who believe that the FBI wants to take their fillings?

"Not good. Another name for this is death squad, killing agency."

They must be pretty damn good shots to be able to kill you all the way from their bases, behind concrete walls.

"LSD has absolutely no harmful affects on the body. It doesn't affect your physiology, it only affects your mind and in a positive way. "

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you've deliberately erected this rather fine looking wall of ignorance that you have right here.

"Also, the government is responsible for poisoning our water supply with fluoride, and they even admit it but make up excuses for it like saying it's good for our teeth."

http://en.wikipedia.org...

"You don't like free market I take it."

I don't know enough about the concept to have an opinion, I was pointing out it's presence, and the fact that over recent years the amount of federal regulation appears to have dropped. I say "appears" because I haven't been paying much attention, but what sources I've seen suggest as much.

"Notice it has the word "force" in it. This is an agency that gets to initiate force and violence without repercussion because they're "the law."

I think someone's confusing the people that enforce worker's rights and union laws with the people that beat up minorities and deck protestors.

"Why is law enforcement initiating force on non-violent people just trying to peacefully smoke a blunt? This is an outrage and I can't believe you support such nonsense!
"

I don't recall saying I supported it. My list is just that, a list, a list of things that your tax dollars pay for. A list of things that the Federal Government, your Federal Government, does for you whether you support or oppose it. You are reading far too much into the point of the post.

"No"

A stellar counterpoint, my intellectual qualites are exposed for the diminuitive state that they exist in, please excuse me as I remove myself from your presence to go bang my head against a school buildng in the hopes of absorbing some of the knowledge contained within.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 3:41:00 PM
Many things on the list are state funded, not Federal funded, like local police etc..

Also, I have way more faith in the trial lawyers association, than any quality control government program.

BP shows government inspections are a joke.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 6:36:48 PM
Roads
Schools
Hospitals
police
fire service
civil service
security forces
armed forces
intelligence forces

nice, take a way the ones that are state level and you can boil down what you said to
defense
regulatory agencies

Also probably saved my life at least once? are you kidding me? What was there a 50% mortality rate for young adults before the CPSC and FDA?
I can't think of a worse argument than the one you just put forth.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 6:46:41 PM
Roads
Schools
Hospitals
police
fire service
civil service
security forces
armed forces
intelligence forces

Why do we need the government to get any of the desirable things on that list?
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 6:49:00 PM
Roads

Doesn't require a state.

Schools

Doesn't require a state.

Hospitals

Doesn't require a state.

police

Doesn't require a state.

fire service

Doesn't require a state.

civil service

This doesn't even mean anything on its own.

security forces

You already have "armed forces" and "police" on here. What's left?

armed forces

Doesn't require a state.

intelligence forces

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state unless you want to use guns.

Doesn't require a state, unless you're talking about stupid stuff like the "right to a job".

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 4:26:17 AM
At 4/25/2011 3:41:00 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
Many things on the list are state funded, not Federal funded, like local police etc..

Also, I have way more faith in the trial lawyers association, than any quality control government program.

BP shows government inspections are a joke.

Codyfranklin said:
What Cody Franklin said

So uh...I seem to have wandered into a completely different argument here. Seems like Cody's against Korashk, Lewis and Grey.
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 5:19:33 PM
At 4/26/2011 7:35:39 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 4/26/2011 4:26:17 AM, Veridas wrote:

Codyfranklin said:
What Cody Franklin said

So uh...I seem to have wandered into a completely different argument here. Seems like Cody's against Korashk, Lewis and Grey.

Why am I against them, exactly?

You say those things don't require a state, they say that those things are controlled at state level. Thus your disagreement is based on who is ultimately responsible. (particularly since if Obama is blamed for taxes then taxes, which are central to the theme of the thread, are divvied up by the Federal Government, not the State Government, giving reasonable doubts to both their theory and your own since you didn't elaborate on why)
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 5:39:32 PM
At 4/25/2011 6:49:00 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
Roads

Doesn't require a state.

Schools

Doesn't require a state.

Hospitals

Doesn't require a state.

police

Doesn't require a state.

fire service

Doesn't require a state.

civil service

This doesn't even mean anything on its own.

security forces

You already have "armed forces" and "police" on here. What's left?

armed forces

Doesn't require a state.

intelligence forces

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state unless you want to use guns.

Doesn't require a state, unless you're talking about stupid stuff like the "right to a job".

Doesn't require a state.

Doesn't require a state.
He id not claim that. He explained what the taxes are used for.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/1/2011 6:15:08 PM
You say those things don't require a state, they say that those things are controlled at state level. Thus your disagreement is based on who is ultimately responsible. (particularly since if Obama is blamed for taxes then taxes, which are central to the theme of the thread, are divvied up by the Federal Government, not the State Government, giving reasonable doubts to both their theory and your own since you didn't elaborate on why:

What you listed, with the exception of the military, is paid by state taxes through tolls and/or sales tax revenues. The OP clearly stated that he didn't understand why such as large percentage is taken out. So your laundry list is completely irrelevant. Those are taxes on top of federal taxes, which makes it even worse.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Veridas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2011 11:04:41 AM
At 5/1/2011 6:15:08 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You say those things don't require a state, they say that those things are controlled at state level. Thus your disagreement is based on who is ultimately responsible. (particularly since if Obama is blamed for taxes then taxes, which are central to the theme of the thread, are divvied up by the Federal Government, not the State Government, giving reasonable doubts to both their theory and your own since you didn't elaborate on why:

What you listed, with the exception of the military, is paid by state taxes through tolls and/or sales tax revenues. The OP clearly stated that he didn't understand why such as large percentage is taken out. So your laundry list is completely irrelevant. Those are taxes on top of federal taxes, which makes it even worse.

And do you really believe that states are allowed to run all that willy-nilly without reporting to the feds?

Besides which, intelligence, quality control, civil service, corporate regulation, all have at the very least a presence in the federal government. So my list isn't quite "irrelevent" there.