Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Libertarian(ish) Atheists For Ron Paul...?

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 12:56:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
My question in general: Is Ron Paul the best candidate for atheists? As far as I know, he is, because of his libertarian views and even though he's a Christian, he's a major constitutional scholar and wouldn't let his belief compromise the American right to individual freedom and liberty.

So I'm pretty much a hardcore atheist, I'm very liberal on social issues and currently undecided but leaning toward libertarian fiscal policies... (I do believe there should be some kind of social welfare system, just because of that whole brotherly, humanitarian love thing that I like to think we're evolutionarily developed enough to be ready for... whatever).

Point is, is Ron Paul the best potential Presidential candidate for a libertarian leaning atheist?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:31:19 PM
There are no Atheist candidates as far as I know so I don't see why Ron Paul would be nothing less than the perfect candidate for the Libertarian Atheist.

Though, I don't know if you noticed but being Atheist in no way affects your political platform in any positive way. Look at all the Atheist dictators that have terrible policies. Their Atheism failed to affect their poltical policy in any positive manner.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:50:26 PM
Paul's pro-life stance doesn't make him ideal for atheists... but it's a sacrifice I personally am willing to make. It's certainly not his main tenet though so I'm not worried about him setting women's rights back 50 years.
kfc
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:01:10 PM
He's pro-life, but thinks the issue should be left to the states, so it's not like he'd even try to get a federal ban on abortion if he could.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:06:11 PM
At 4/26/2011 1:50:26 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Paul's pro-life stance doesn't make him ideal for atheists... but it's a sacrifice I personally am willing to make. It's certainly not his main tenet though so I'm not worried about him setting women's rights back 50 years.

Atheists can still be pro life.
Things that are so interesting:

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:42:23 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:06:11 PM, Sieben wrote:

It takes a major explanation of fetal personhood out of the picture though (Jesus reached in her ***** and shoved a soul in with the sperm!)
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 11:19:06 PM
At 4/26/2011 2:06:11 PM, Sieben wrote:

Yep, I'm pro life and atheist. You can also be conservative and an atheist. Oh, and you can be a vegetarian and not a liberal.
Open borders debate:
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 11:23:32 PM
I think what the creator of this thread means is, is Ron Paul the best candidate for someone who doesn't want government intruding on religious liberties. I'd say a libertarian candidate is about as close as you're going to get.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 3:22:49 AM
At 4/26/2011 1:31:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Though, I don't know if you noticed but being Atheist in no way affects your political platform in any positive way. Look at all the Atheist dictators that have terrible policies. Their Atheism failed to affect their poltical policy in any positive manner.

i would say that a bunch of the founding fathers and certainly their philosophy as a whole were "atheistic," depending on how you define atheism of course. most were deists and belief in their conception of god really in no way interferes with the kind of policies a legitimate, more hardcore atheist would want to support - organized religion being the primary opponent in both mindsets. the founding fathers enacted some pretty awesome and unprecedented ideas in the way of total freedom from religion.
and maybe i'm just rambling, but abraham lincoln, also a champion of natural rights, personal liberty, etc. was a deist and admirer of the works of thomas paine, an outspoken critic of everything religious. maybe both the founding fathers and lincoln wouldn't have said or done some of the great things they did had they not had some kind of atheistic/deistic outlook... but i might be getting carried away...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:56:54 AM
At 4/27/2011 3:22:49 AM, jat93 wrote:
At 4/26/2011 1:31:19 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

i would say that a bunch of the founding fathers and certainly their philosophy as a whole were "atheistic,"

No. There was not a single Atheist founding father.

depending on how you define atheism of course.

The definition of "Atheism" isn't flexible. It always means the disbelief in God or gods.

most were deists

True. But Deism =/= Atheism.

and belief in their conception of god really in no way interferes with the kind of policies a legitimate, more hardcore atheist would want to support - organized religion being the primary opponent in both mindsets. the founding fathers enacted some pretty awesome and unprecedented ideas in the way of total freedom from religion.

It wasn't the ideals of Atheism that encouraged this, it was the ideals of freedom that encouraged this. Atheism has no stance on anything except disbelief in God. Atheism doesn't even necessarily oppose religion, there are many Atheists who actually tolerate and accept religion, rather than oppose it.

And fyi, I'm a Strong Atheist and I don't necessarily oppose religion either, only it's oppressive aspects. Other than that, I just find other religions be competing philosophies and in my view, competing philosophies are a good thing so long as it doesn't involve violence.

and maybe i'm just rambling, but abraham lincoln, also a champion of natural rights, personal liberty, etc. was a deist

Actually, Abraham Lincoln was an Atheist, not a Deist.

and admirer of the works of thomas paine, an outspoken critic of everything religious. maybe both the founding fathers and lincoln wouldn't have said or done some of the great things they did had they not had some kind of atheistic/deistic outlook... but i might be getting carried away...

Just because someone is religious doesn't mean they lean towards theocratic principles. Ron Paul will and has done more to preserve freedom than any other Atheist dictator. Again, if Atheism was so pro-freedom, why didn't Atheism influence dictators towards supporting freedom?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat