Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Cutting Federal Departments

GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Wouldn't cutting Federal Departments create job loss? Ron Paul would be laying off his fellow colleagues by doing this. One of my collegues works for the Department of Homeland Security and I would kinda feel guilty if I voted for Ron Paul. He went through many years of school in emergency management and likes his DHS job.

I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 6:50:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Just to be clear, I support Ron Paul overall, its just that there's a few aspects of his policy that I am unsure about that need clarification.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Posts: 4,194
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 6:59:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Wouldn't cutting Federal Departments create job loss? Ron Paul would be laying off his fellow colleagues by doing this. One of my collegues works for the Department of Homeland Security and I would kinda feel guilty if I voted for Ron Paul. He went through many years of school in emergency management and likes his DHS job.

I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.

Eliminating government jobs cuts cost and frees up capital, making it easier for government workers to find private sector jobs. Think of it this way: if the government employed 100,000 people digging holes and another 100,000 filling them in, would any sense to argue that we can't cut this program because people would be unemployed?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 7:03:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 6:59:08 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.

Eliminating government jobs cuts cost and frees up capital, making it easier for government workers to find private sector jobs. Think of it this way: if the government employed 100,000 people digging holes and another 100,000 filling them in, would any sense to argue that we can't cut this program because people would be unemployed?

I already acknowledged that which is why I said Dept of Education and Dept of Energy should be cut. However, not all departments are useless.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
askbob
Posts: 7,254
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 7:04:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 7:03:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:59:08 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.

Eliminating government jobs cuts cost and frees up capital, making it easier for government workers to find private sector jobs. Think of it this way: if the government employed 100,000 people digging holes and another 100,000 filling them in, would any sense to argue that we can't cut this program because people would be unemployed?

I already acknowledged that which is why I said Dept of Education and Dept of Energy should be cut. However, not all departments are useless.

Yeah the post office delivers mail! We shouldn't cut them
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 7:19:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 7:04:52 PM, askbob wrote:
At 4/26/2011 7:03:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:59:08 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.

Eliminating government jobs cuts cost and frees up capital, making it easier for government workers to find private sector jobs. Think of it this way: if the government employed 100,000 people digging holes and another 100,000 filling them in, would any sense to argue that we can't cut this program because people would be unemployed?

I already acknowledged that which is why I said Dept of Education and Dept of Energy should be cut. However, not all departments are useless.

Yeah the post office delivers mail! We shouldn't cut them

Yep. The post office is constitutional...
Cody_Franklin
Posts: 9,483
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 7:22:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If the services are really as important as you claim, that employment would find its niche far easier in a competitive market setting, I would imagine. In fact, there's a sort of intuitive notion that, if there are now numerous firms having to compete to make up for the loss created by cutting from the state, employment might increase in the long term since there are now a plurality of employment agents, and therefore an increased demand for the sort of labor cut from state agencies.
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:39:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Doesn't the department of energy inspect nuclear power plants for whether they are going to blow up?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,212
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 10:47:49 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 10:39:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Doesn't the department of energy inspect nuclear power plants for whether they are going to blow up?

Nuclear Regulatory commission.

DoE is the department for making energy self sufficient, not an energy importer.

Since we have absolutely zero chance with or without the DoE of being able to shake free of imported energy, it makes sense to cut it.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 11:45:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 6:59:08 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
At 4/26/2011 6:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Wouldn't cutting Federal Departments create job loss? Ron Paul would be laying off his fellow colleagues by doing this. One of my collegues works for the Department of Homeland Security and I would kinda feel guilty if I voted for Ron Paul. He went through many years of school in emergency management and likes his DHS job.

I understand some departments are useless and should be cut like Dept of Education and Dept of Energy (LMAO at that dept). Though, DHS is, or should I say CAN be useful. In fact, even Ron Paul isn't entirely against DHS, he just wants to get rid of the unnecessary and wastefule beauracracy involved. So hopefully he can reform that department rather than slash it and get rid of all the FEMA concentration camps and reform TSA.

Eliminating government jobs cuts cost and frees up capital, making it easier for government workers to find private sector jobs. Think of it this way: if the government employed 100,000 people digging holes and another 100,000 filling them in, would any sense to argue that we can't cut this program because people would be unemployed?

False all around. Private sector jobs continue to bleed to China. You suggest government workers, along with all the workers kicked to the curb by greedy capitalists, go to China to find work?

Your comment has absolutely no merit. Taxes have not been lower in more than half a century, and yet unemployment is sky high. There is no correlation between low taxes and unemployment. Whomever told you there was lied. Just take a look at the tax rates -- the 400 wealthiest Americans pay an average of only 17% tax, yet unemployment is twice what it was under Clinton.
PervRat
Posts: 963
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 11:46:17 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 4/26/2011 10:47:49 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 4/26/2011 10:39:47 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Doesn't the department of energy inspect nuclear power plants for whether they are going to blow up?

Nuclear Regulatory commission.

DoE is the department for making energy self sufficient, not an energy importer.

Since we have absolutely zero chance with or without the DoE of being able to shake free of imported energy, it makes sense to cut it.

Typical Republican: your solution to leaks in a dam due to inadequate maintenance because you cut back on maintenance is to just demolish the entire dam, period.