Jump to topic:

Ron Paul Run Mate: Kucinich or Ventura

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 3:21:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
It appears that Kucinich is likely Ron Paul's potential running mate, though Jesse Ventura stated he would like to run with Ron Paul and Paul contemplated the idea. My guess is it will be one of these two.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:08:23 AM
Do you have anything other than that interview to suggest this? Their differences in core ideology are pretty massive, at least to my understanding.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:26:40 AM
At 4/27/2011 4:08:23 AM, innomen wrote:
Do you have anything other than that interview to suggest this? Their differences in core ideology are pretty massive, at least to my understanding.

According to Ron Paul, anytime there are votes in Congress that are 433 to 2, the two votes are always Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. They have very similar voting records as they are the only two real radical politicians in Congress vote against Patriot Acts, wars, and spending and both support auditing the Fed. The disagreements they do have are rather minuscule and I'm pretty sure they agree on almost all big issues.

Also Kucinich selected Ron Paul as a Presidential running mate in the past.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:53:24 AM
Well if Ron Paul can win the Republican primary, then I think he has an easy chance of winning the Presidency. Even more so, if he picks a Democrat running mate. This is good for multiple reasons:

A: People rarely/hardly ever see a Presidential candidate pick his vice presidential candidate of the opposite party. The American people will see this as something extraordinary.

B: Ron Paul has very good "crossing-over" power. Which means he can win a lot of the votes from both of the two parties.

C: The Democrats I think already take Ron Paul in a higher regard than other Republicans. They will be more inclined to vote for a candidate that is more moderate in his views I believe, and especially more so, if he has a Democrat vice presidential nominee.

D: Ron Paul got picked highest at CPAC with 30%.

The problem with Ron Paul is the primary, but I think Republicans now realize that Ron Paul is extremely intelligent, and can actually be the President, as opposed to Sarah Palin or someone else that is too far right.

I don't usually say this, but for once being moderate may be a good thing.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:55:25 AM
Ron Paul and Kucinich have both already stated that if either of them were elected they would choose the other as a running mate. They are good friends and are the two people in congress with the most aggressive anti-imperialist stances.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 5:00:58 AM
At 4/27/2011 4:53:24 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
Well if Ron Paul can win the Republican primary, then I think he has an easy chance of winning the Presidency. Even more so, if he picks a Democrat running mate.

Exactly. This is unprecedented not to mention this will draw in Democrat votes.

Not to mention, Bill Maher, Stephen Colbert, and Jon Stewart are all Liberals and endorse Ron Paul. Those are probably three of the biggest liberals in the media, so that's definitely a huge boost for Paul. I think his chances are extremely high.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:27:16 AM
Kucinich, Ventura, and Paul are all champions of the Constitution. They are a minority of politicians who take it very seriously. They all happen to be people who wish to audit the FED, which is what your clip was talking about. Make no mistake though, this is one area where they agree. They are still ideological opposites in many respects. If Paul in AnCap then consider Kucinich AnCom.

That said, I have to echo Innomen's sentiments. Why do you think Kucinich or Ventura will be Paul's running mate?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 2:44:20 PM
At 4/27/2011 2:38:22 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Republicans aren't smart enough to nominate Paul. End of story.

Indeed they're not smart enough, but they still support him regardless. He had the highest approval at CPAC and all the Tea Partiers and talk radio Republicans support Ron Paul.

The reason is partly because Libertarianism is growing and becoming more acceptable and secondly, I don't think the Republicans pay attention to his socially liberal policies and extreme support of civil liberties.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 2:52:03 PM
Ventura has stated that he would only be interested in being Paul's running mate if Paul would leave the Republican Party and run as an independent.

Kucinich is honest and principled. I would take him over any of the Republican candidates (excluding Paul, of course), but he would be a suicidal pick as a running mate.

The best candidate for Paul's running mate would probably be Gary Johnson or Andrew Napolitano. Both have decent name recognition and solid libertarian/conservative street cred.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 3:20:58 PM
Why is Kucinich suicidal? I don't think the Republicans would change their vote for Ron Paul due to a VP. Especially after the mass coverage of Joe Biden sleeping on the job.

If anything, it may draw in more Democrat voters and maybe even Independent voters due to the lack of partisanship displayed in this partnership.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:03:54 PM
At 4/27/2011 3:20:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Why is Kucinich suicidal? I don't think the Republicans would change their vote for Ron Paul due to a VP. Especially after the mass coverage of Joe Biden sleeping on the job.

This. Though I think Paul's chances of winning the primary are not that good (he always is highly supported by politically involved people but doesn't do so well when mainstream Republicans come out to vote), if he won the primary and had a VP candidate who would appeal to Democrats, he would have a good chances at taking down Obama. I don't see this really happening though, he'll certainly lose to a more mainstream Republican and Obama will win reelection.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 8:52:56 PM
At 4/27/2011 3:21:28 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
It appears that Kucinich is likely Ron Paul's potential running mate, though Jesse Ventura stated he would like to run with Ron Paul and Paul contemplated the idea. My guess is it will be one of these two.

In think Ventura would be more likely, yes Kucinich and Paul are both opposed to corruption when it comes to most economic issues they disagree. Kucinich is oftn considered the most liberal member of the House while Paul has been shown by some standards to be the most conservative. i have said tongue in cheek that Ron Paul should run with Rand Paul but that would probably not be a good idea, it would be too nepotistic. Lincoln ran with Johnson a Democrat in 1864, although they said they were both on the National Union Party ticket.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 9:01:16 PM
At 4/27/2011 2:52:03 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Ventura has stated that he would only be interested in being Paul's running mate if Paul would leave the Republican Party and run as an independent.

Kucinich is honest and principled. I would take him over any of the Republican candidates (excluding Paul, of course), but he would be a suicidal pick as a running mate.

The best candidate for Paul's running mate would probably be Gary Johnson or Andrew Napolitano. Both have decent name recognition and solid libertarian/conservative street cred.

I do like the idea of Andrew Napolitano. However, when it comes time to pick a new Supreme Court justice, he should resign so that he could be chose, I as I think that is where Napolitano would really shine.
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 12:22:57 AM
At 4/27/2011 2:44:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2011 2:38:22 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Republicans aren't smart enough to nominate Paul. End of story.

Indeed they're not smart enough, but they still support him regardless. He had the highest approval at CPAC and all the Tea Partiers and talk radio Republicans support Ron Paul.

The reason is partly because Libertarianism is growing and becoming more acceptable and secondly, I don't think the Republicans pay attention to his socially liberal policies and extreme support of civil liberties.

Totally hilarious how the tea party and a ton of far right wing conservatives (socially speaking!) endorse Ron Paul. Really. Maybe it's that he's opposed to Obama and hate the government, so that's good enough for them and they tune out after that so his social policies are more or less irrelevant.

But maybe... Could it be that real conservatism is returning to its roots? Could the true ideals of libertarianism finally be more important to Republicans and conservatives than protesting at abortion clinics and gay marriage parades? I could be just naive, but I do think that their hatred for Obama, though often overly ridiculous and unjustified, has driven them to value fiscal conservatism just because of what he's done with increasing government control. Hmmmm....
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 6:22:28 AM
At 4/27/2011 2:52:03 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Vice President Andrew Napolitano! Now there's a nice vision.
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 9:34:41 AM
Why is Kucinich suicidal? I don't think the Republicans would change their vote for Ron Paul due to a VP. Especially after the mass coverage of Joe Biden sleeping on the job.:

Suicidal in the sense that, even though they agree heavily on issues like foreign national policy, they heavily disagree on economic issues.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2011 1:38:57 PM
At 4/28/2011 9:34:41 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Why is Kucinich suicidal? I don't think the Republicans would change their vote for Ron Paul due to a VP. Especially after the mass coverage of Joe Biden sleeping on the job.:

Suicidal in the sense that, even though they agree heavily on issues like foreign national policy, they heavily disagree on economic issues.

You're missing the most important thing that they both agree on. CIVIL LIBERTIES and PEACE.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 1:10:53 PM
At 4/28/2011 1:38:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

You're missing the most important thing that they both agree on. CIVIL LIBERTIES and PEACE.

That is not all that matters though. The fact that they disagree so heavily on the economy would alienate many people.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2011 1:14:59 PM
At 6/25/2011 1:10:53 PM, BennyW wrote:
At 4/28/2011 1:38:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

That is not all that matters though. The fact that they disagree so heavily on the economy would alienate many people.
This is one reason i thin someone lie Judge Napolitano would be a better choice, though like I said ideally he would be good for the supreme court.