Jump to topic:

Buzzed Driving Is Drunk Driving: WTF?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:17:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In Vegas there's been a lot of ads saying that "buzzed driving is drunk driving." My answer to that is, no it's not. It clearly violates the law of identity. Buzzed driving is NOT drunk driving by definition.

Secondly, if the legal limit is still 0.08, what's the point of all these ads that still allow people to drive as long as they're under the limit? They can't pull you over for buzzed driving can they? That's absurd, especially since it's legal.

WTF
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:20:53 PM
cool story bro
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:29:47 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:20:53 PM, m93samman wrote:
cool story bro

Not old enough to drink, U mad!?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:35:31 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:29:47 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
cool story bro

1) I don't need to use a depressant to have a good time.
2) I won't drink even when I get old enough, so I don't give a spit.
3) Of course I'm not mad that I'm not losing brain cells and increasing my likelihood of cirrhosis.
4) I'd rather have an Italian soda.

In summary, no I'm not mad. U jelly?
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:36:42 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:17:05 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
In Vegas there's been a lot of ads saying that "buzzed driving is drunk driving." My answer to that is, no it's not. It clearly violates the law of identity. Buzzed driving is NOT drunk driving by definition.

Secondly, if the legal limit is still 0.08, what's the point of all these ads that still allow people to drive as long as they're under the limit? They can't pull you over for buzzed driving can they? That's absurd, especially since it's legal.

WTF

.08 is not the legal definition. That is only 1 of the qualifiers (the most well known). They use the phrase "under the influence" meaning ANY amount that is comprimising your driving skills.

So basically,
if you blow .05 (under the legal limit, different states have different rules), but are driving recklessly, you'll get a DUI.
if you blow .09, but are driving fine, you'll get a DUI.
if you blow .05 and are driving fine, you'll not get anything.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 12:55:53 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:52:50 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
What is "buzzed driving"? Driving under the influence of drugs?

Driving under the influence of alcohol, but only just enough alcohol to make poor choices, as opposed to being wasted.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:01:46 PM
Being buzzed doesn't alter any decision making. Being buzzed is simply like a high. It will not make anyone drive recklessly.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:10:20 PM
At 4/27/2011 12:35:31 PM, m93samman wrote:
cool story bro

Lie. Also Ben Franklin said God put alcohol on earth cause he wanted us to have a good time.

Lie.

3) Of course I'm not mad that I'm not losing brain cells and increasing my likelihood of cirrhosis.

Moderate drinking (14 beers a week or 7 glasses of wine a week) is considered medically healthy and beneficial even decreasing the chance of heart disease. There's no negatives to moderate drinking.

Yeah, that's the mentality someone would have they couldn't do something they wanted. "I don't need it, I'm better off without it anyways!" Yeah, sure. You're saying that now, but I guarantee when you turn 21, someone will be there on your birthday saying "c'mon, just one drink, it's your 21st birthday." Youll then cave in and enjoy it and will likely drink in the future.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:12:41 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:01:46 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Being buzzed doesn't alter any decision making. Being buzzed is simply like a high. It will not make anyone drive recklessly.

Alcohol begins to affect your preceptions shortly after your first drink. Altered perceptions cause altered decision making (if something appears to be different than what it really is, your decision based on that is may be changed/altered).

http://www.alcohol.vt.edu...
http://www.perceptionweb.com...
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:12:54 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:10:20 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
cool story bro

Lie. Also Ben Franklin said God put alcohol on earth cause he wanted us to have a good time.

Lie.

Moderate drinking (14 beers a week or 7 glasses of wine a week) is considered medically healthy and beneficial even decreasing the chance of heart disease. There's no negatives to moderate drinking.

Yeah, that's the mentality someone would have they couldn't do something they wanted. "I don't need it, I'm better off without it anyways!" Yeah, sure. You're saying that now, but I guarantee when you turn 21, someone will be there on your birthday saying "c'mon, just one drink, it's your 21st birthday." Youll then cave in and enjoy it and will likely drink in the future.

Even if what you said is true, it's against my religion. I'm pretty set in Islam, so it's not gonna happen.
:
:
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:12:59 PM
cool story bro

http://www.time.com...

u jelly?
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:19:25 PM

Would you care to debate this?
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:24:57 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:12:59 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
cool story bro

u jelly?

Wow, nice find!

My grandma is living proof of this. She has been smoking and drinking every day of her life since she was 18 and she is now 70 and in perfect health and even looks young for her age.

However, she doesn't drink heavily, only moderately and she does it for medical purposes as she doesn't even like the taste of the beer she drinks daily. She has panic attacks and had the problem since she was a teen and so daily beer is the only thing that keeps her from having panic attacks or getting nervously jittery.

In fact, she couldn't drive without a beer. Of course back when she was driving, DUI laws weren't strict so she could get away with always drinking beer while driving.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:25:58 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:19:25 PM, OreEle wrote:

There's nothing to debate. It's medical fact.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:27:15 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:24:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2011 1:12:59 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
cool story bro

u jelly?

Wow, nice find!

My grandma is living proof of this. She has been smoking and drinking every day of her life since she was 18 and she is now 70 and in perfect health and even looks young for her age.

However, she doesn't drink heavily, only moderately and she does it for medical purposes as she doesn't even like the taste of the beer she drinks daily. She has panic attacks and had the problem since she was a teen and so daily beer is the only thing that keeps her from having panic attacks or getting nervously jittery.

In fact, she couldn't drive without a beer. Of course back when she was driving, DUI laws weren't strict so she could get away with always drinking beer while driving.

If she doesn't like beers, she could try wines, or alcoholic fruit juices. Though if she is already set in her habits, it probably doesn't matter now.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:29:35 PM
i think the point is that for most people a "buzz" is 1-2 drinks and thats all it takes to push you over the legal limit anyhow. so they're saying that drunk driving can be dangerous even if you don't feel drunk, because even after only a drink or two your reaction time, etc can be impaired. IOW jsut because you feel ok to drive, that doesn't mean that you are ok to drive. so don't f*ck around.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:31:14 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:25:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Then it should be a simple debate, shouldn't it?
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:33:38 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:24:57 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

thats absurd lol. while alcohol does reduce panic attacks, as soon as it wears off you tend to get even worse "rebound anxiety". some of my worst panic attacks were after nights of drinking. i guess thats why she needed beer constantly...

anyways, point is, in the long run her drinking all that beer probably made her anxiety disorder worse. so its not really "medical purposes" so much as "self medicating" just like any alcoholic.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:41:03 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:29:35 PM, belle wrote:
i think the point is that for most people a "buzz" is 1-2 drinks and thats all it takes to push you over the legal limit anyhow.

Woah, no definitly not! I have a blood alcohol content calculator that I use on my phone and you can drink way more than that to stay under the legal limit. Not to mention, your BAC goes down every hour so simply waiting an hour to drive can be enough to push you under the limit.

so they're saying that drunk driving can be dangerous even if you don't feel drunk, because even after only a drink or two your reaction time, etc can be impaired. IOW jsut because you feel ok to drive, that doesn't mean that you are ok to drive. so don't f*ck around.

I drive buzzed all the time. In fact, I've even been stopped by a DUI checkpoint after taking several swigs of an Irish Creme spirit. I was checked out twice by two officers at the DUI checkpoint and passed both times.

I know when I am capable of driving or not. Sometimes I'll even give self-tests just to make sure. I have a perfect driving record.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:41:29 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:31:14 PM, OreEle wrote:

Time to nut up or shut up.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:42:53 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:41:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 4/27/2011 1:29:35 PM, belle wrote:
i think the point is that for most people a "buzz" is 1-2 drinks and thats all it takes to push you over the legal limit anyhow.

Woah, no definitly not! I have a blood alcohol content calculator that I use on my phone and you can drink way more than that to stay under the legal limit. Not to mention, your BAC goes down every hour so simply waiting an hour to drive can be enough to push you under the limit.

so they're saying that drunk driving can be dangerous even if you don't feel drunk, because even after only a drink or two your reaction time, etc can be impaired. IOW jsut because you feel ok to drive, that doesn't mean that you are ok to drive. so don't f*ck around.

I drive buzzed all the time. In fact, I've even been stopped by a DUI checkpoint after taking several swigs of an Irish Creme spirit. I was checked out twice by two officers at the DUI checkpoint and passed both times.

I know when I am capable of driving or not. Sometimes I'll even give self-tests just to make sure. I have a perfect driving record.

That's great for you, but that does not apply to everyone. Some people, cannot handle a few drinks, some can handle a great deal more. The point is, know your own personal limit, not just the 0.08.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 1:49:26 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:41:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

http://www.brad21.org...

depends how much you weigh. and if you wait an hour its not buzzed driving anymore, its just driving :P

kay... funny, most males your age would say the exact same thing...

http://everettanalyzers.com...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 2:05:42 PM
Alcohol is one of the Earth's most wonderful products. As with any pleasure, overuse produces ill-effect:
eating -> obesity
drugs -> brain damage
women -> infidelity
sweets -> pancreas, etc.
video games -> loserville
alcohol -> inebriation

The trick to drinking is not overusing, as is the trick with any worldly pleasure. Even if you had the money to live every day on the beach and relaxing, after a short time you would see it would not be helping you out.

Alchohol is no different, and chastizing it because it can be abused is absurd. I drink all the time and I haven't been drunk for as long time... perhaps some time last year. Beer, wine, and booze (not mixers) are awesome after a night of working menial labor. But just one, or two if I'm feeling really spunky.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 2:51:50 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:41:29 PM, OreEle wrote:
At 4/27/2011 1:31:14 PM, OreEle wrote:

Time to nut up or shut up.

wow, fixed. Might help with the right link.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 4:00:26 PM
At 4/27/2011 1:12:54 PM, m93samman wrote:
cool story bro

Lie.

Even if what you said is true, it's against my religion. I'm pretty set in Islam, so it's not gonna happen.

Then how come the most quoted prophet in the Quran (Jesus) was a drunkard?

Surely one of Islams most sacred prophets sets the example of mimicable behavior, at least ethically not miracle-wise.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 6:45:14 PM
Being buzzed doesn't alter any decision making.

On the test I took at DMV it said that one drink is all it takes to compromise your ability to make decisions.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2011 7:44:59 PM
At 4/27/2011 6:45:14 PM, Reasoning wrote:
Being buzzed doesn't alter any decision making.

On the test I took at DMV it said that one drink is all it takes to compromise your ability to make decisions.

I didn't realize you accept government propaganda.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2011 11:28:37 AM
At 4/27/2011 4:00:26 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Then how come the most quoted prophet in the Quran (Jesus) was a drunkard?

Surely one of Islams most sacred prophets sets the example of mimicable behavior, at least ethically not miracle-wise.

Care to elaborate?
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.