Jump to topic:

Ron Paul 2012 - Chances/Odds?

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 1:18:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
simply - do you think there's a chance? forgetting about the real election, is there a good shot that he'll get the republican nomination.

PROS - large, dedicated and loyal fanbase, the fact that he is a libertarian and can thus cater to the fiscal conservatives and the socially liberal (jon stewart and stephen colbert both support many of his views and are heavily influential in liberal thought today), increased use of social networking online (his 2012 election page is only 8 thousand behind that of obama's, due to the dedication of his fanbase which is easily spread online), his connection with the intellectual youth, and his advocacy of an economic system opposite to obama's plan which most americans have expressed discontent with. oh, also, he's a very honest, genuine person and politician and it's obvious that he's remained steadfast to his beliefs over the decades.

wow, that went on longer than expected. the cons are really that many conservative news sources (FOX) snub him and show clear bias against him for not blindly subscribing to republican party ideals, that he's in his mid 70s, and that, frankly, the general american public may be too stupid to vote a "non-politician" politician into office.

he's been dominating online polls, winning most and in some coming very close to mitt romney. palin and trump, other popular GOP candidates, both have no idea what they're saying and if they make it to debates they'll get owned.

so what's the verdict? again, forgetting about obama - does ron paul have a shot at the republican 2012 nomination?
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:07:58 AM
The mainstream media seems to ignore Ron Paul. I personally feel that the mainstream media has a personal bias against Ron Paul. There too busy following the douche Donald Trump to even care. Mainstream media has a huge influence in the elections, so if a politician doesn't serve their best interest, it would seem unlikely they would try to give him a fair shot.

The Tea Party Movement is strong. It turned out that bailing out wall street turned out to be a greater mistake then politicians realized. People realized that they were being played a fool. Ron Paul has a record to show he will not play into corruption, deficient spending, and corporate welfare. He's one of the few presidential candidates that seems honest and it might give him points.

However, too many people label the Tea Party movement as "racist" and have been given unfair media coverage. There's not enough support for the tea party and "libertarian" thinking. Overall, I think Ron Paul will be a major contender, I don't think he'll even make it to the primaries.

It's unfortunate but I think Obama will get reelected. Apparently the economy has gotten better, so that's some points for Obama. Plus mainstream media loves him and he has the charisma of a sociopath.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:13:15 AM
Ron Paul has more support than any other Republican candidate. His most fierce competition at the moment is Sarah Palin who ranked 7% compared to Ron Pauls 31%. Even though Mitt Romney is at 22%, he's Mormon and Mormons can't win elections. So the choice is between Ron Paul, a Mormon, and a moron. Unless the Republicans decide to boost somebody else like Newt Gingrich or whatever.

Watch at [4:23] to see the poll data.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:14:34 AM
@darkkermit

Ron Paul has been all over the mainstream media recently. Yes, the media is opposed to him and even edits/censors him, but he's gaining huge momentum and support and the media can't stop him.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:46:24 AM
At 4/30/2011 5:14:34 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@darkkermit

Ron Paul has been all over the mainstream media recently. Yes, the media is opposed to him and even edits/censors him, but he's gaining huge momentum and support and the media can't stop him.

Really? That's pretty big then if Ron Paul can overcome the media-politico corporate complex. It's almost unprecedented. He's a man for the people, not for special interest groups and lobbyists. What does that mean?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 2:04:39 PM
Bah, don't expect too much support from liberal media. They'll try the same thing they tried with his son, claiming he's a racist for wanting to end racist programs (that is, programs that support the "right" races...), claiming he hates old people for wanting to phase out Social Security, and so on and so on.

FOX will be much the same during the primaries; watch them do a 180° if he actually wins the Republican nomination.

Anyone care to bet against my predictions? :)
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 3:38:16 PM
At 4/30/2011 2:04:39 PM, Fabian_CH wrote:
Bah, don't expect too much support from liberal media. They'll try the same thing they tried with his son, claiming he's a racist for wanting to end racist programs (that is, programs that support the "right" races...), claiming he hates old people for wanting to phase out Social Security, and so on and so on.

FOX will be much the same during the primaries; watch them do a 180° if he actually wins the Republican nomination.

Anyone care to bet against my predictions? :)

But 1) Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher have all praised and backed Ron Paul and they have to be three of the most influential people in the liberal media today. 2) Regardless of the reason, Paul's in favor of drug legalization and personal rights - that means gay marriage and abortion, even if he personally disagrees - so don't you think that too will attract many liberals? Paul is arguably more socially liberal then Obama. 3) So far as I've seen, Paul tends to do well on CNN and MSNBC, where he is praised for standing out from the Republican party and thinking for himself. They like that he's not your average Republican jerk, that he sticks to his beliefs, and that he's a genuine person and not a fake politician.

Fox is an entirely different story. The way they write him off is disgusting and you're totally right. But perhaps this will backfire against them... Paul is gaining huge momentum online and in the "underground" and there are countless youtube videos with thousands and thousands of hits exposing Fox for its bias against Paul - i.e., using footage from a 2010 rally to make his 2011 reception at another rally seem worse. The videos exposing his unfair treatment by Fox and how he constantly owns their pundits in debate seem to have more views than the debates themselves. At least this is what I've seen recently...

You should check out the youtube videos that show Paul's praise/respect/support, from Stewart to Colbert to Maher to CNN to MSNBC to a debate with Sean Hannity to the exposed switch of audio from 2010 rally to the one from 2011 by Fox (posted, viewed by and commented on by many Paul supporters). This guy's got a hell of a following these days. Youtube is a breeding ground for Ron Paul support. There, people air and expose what some media stations (Fox) will not.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 5:45:09 PM
But 1) Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher have all praised and backed Ron Paul and they have to be three of the most influential people in the liberal media today. 2) Regardless of the reason, Paul's in favor of drug legalization and personal rights - that means gay marriage and abortion, even if he personally disagrees - so don't you think that too will attract many liberals?:

Probably not enough to ever leave their token black president. Democrats are just as bad as the Republicans are in pandering to their political base out of pride, even in the face of overwhelming defeat.

As far as his chances, they aren't great, but if ever there was a candidate to reach over across the political isle to cause defections in both the Reps and Dems, it would be Ron Paul. I, for one, will be campaigning for him relentlessly.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/30/2011 6:26:20 PM
At 4/30/2011 3:38:16 PM, jat93 wrote:
But 1) Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Bill Maher have all praised and backed Ron Paul and they have to be three of the most influential people in the liberal media today.
Sure, now. But can you fathom them endorsing Ron Paul over Barack Obama...?

And, if it comes to it, Obama will center the debate around "reasonable" economic policy, and imply he's some kind of impractical ideologue. That and the whole racist, anti-senior citizen, anti-poor etc. stuff.
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 10:37:31 PM
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 10:42:01 PM
That was pretty good.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2011 10:45:53 PM
Its an epic speech, but you only realize it when you watch it remastered. I'm a huge Ron Paul fan but I'll admit when he was delivering the speech for real it's not very...can't think of the right word, but I can see some of the criticisms.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler