Jump to topic:

Class-action lawsuits

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:36:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah because it's so unusual for the Court to stand up for big business. There is something to be said for the psychological state of people in such a powerful, insular position.
kfc
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:53:28 PM
Run a business and see how you feel that a group of people can all lay claim against you together but you could not do the same against the group.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 8:56:06 PM
At 5/5/2011 8:53:28 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Run a business and see how you feel that a group of people can all lay claim against you together but you could not do the same against the group

That makes no sense. How would a business utilize class action against that group?
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 9:19:03 PM
At 5/5/2011 9:01:08 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:
Not that group, a group.

So if I start a business and screw over many people, I don't want them to be able to consolidate their lawsuit because theoretically I could be in the position where one person screws over many businesses and, in that situation, I don't have the right to consolidate my lawsuit together with the other businesses? That seems awfully flimsy... I couldn't imagine an example where that would be a concern.
kfc
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 10:28:42 PM
At 5/5/2011 9:19:03 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

So if I start a business and screw over many people

Nice that you start out assuming they are guilty.

I don't want them to be able to consolidate their lawsuit because theoretically I could be in the position where one person screws over many businesses and, in that situation, I don't have the right to consolidate my lawsuit together with the other businesses?

No, that you can not consolidate a lawsuit against many people who you as a business owner would make a claim against.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:11:02 PM
At 5/5/2011 10:28:42 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

It happens.

I don't want them to be able to consolidate their lawsuit because theoretically I could be in the position where one person screws over many businesses and, in that situation, I don't have the right to consolidate my lawsuit together with the other businesses?

No, that you can not consolidate a lawsuit against many people who you as a business owner would make a claim against.

Well it would be interesting to know what exactly a business would have for options in this case. Would they be forced to bear the costs of legal fees individually? It seems to me like businesses are always going to have the edge across the board anyway; they have the money (since when is a single citizen going to be richer than a business?), they have the policies and associated signatures which we are all forced to sign through collusion, they have the experience in the industry, and are no doubt going to be set up to act and defend themselves quickly before the lawsuit even occurs. If I need to hire a lawyer, it's going to be difficult to produce money at the extraordinary rates they charge.
kfc
Cliff.Stamp
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2011 11:59:31 PM
At 5/5/2011 11:11:02 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

It seems to me like businesses are always going to have the edge across the board anyway

Walk into any business and make a clearly unreasonable demand but which is fairly trivial to settle (low cost), watch what happens. If you do not care about morality and simply wish to gain value then you can leverage the fact that the cost of a dispute is significant and thus claim anything up to that as a settlement and get it.

Note as well that most people will avoid conflict readily and many businesses will have standard policies to try to keep customers happy even if what they are demanding is completely unreasonable. This is what has lead to people to develop the idea of firing customers (their cost is too high as they do not purchase enough to compensate for the risk of settlement).
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 12:43:29 AM
At 5/5/2011 11:59:31 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

It seems to me like businesses are always going to have the edge across the board anyway

Walk into any business and make a clearly unreasonable demand but which is fairly trivial to settle (low cost), watch what happens. If you do not care about morality and simply wish to gain value then you can leverage the fact that the cost of a dispute is significant and thus claim anything up to that as a settlement and get it.

Note as well that most people will avoid conflict readily and many businesses will have standard policies to try to keep customers happy even if what they are demanding is completely unreasonable. This is what has lead to people to develop the idea of firing customers (their cost is too high as they do not purchase enough to compensate for the risk of settlement).
reddj2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2011 12:55:41 AM
At 5/5/2011 10:28:42 PM, Cliff.Stamp wrote:

It happens.

Well it would be interesting to know what exactly a business would have for options in this case. Would they be forced to bear the costs of legal fees individually? It seems to me like businesses are always going to have the edge across the board anyway; they have the money (since when is a single citizen going to be richer than a business?), they have the policies and associated signatures which we are all forced to sign through collusion, they have the experience in the industry, and are no doubt going to be set up to act and defend themselves quickly before the lawsuit even occurs. If I need to hire a lawyer, it's going to be difficult to produce money at the extraordinary rates they charge.

You assume that its only big business that take a hit and apparently that people cant be richer than business owners

Tom mundy is a handicap man who gos around looking for lawsuits , he does it to any business
http://articles.latimes.com...