Total Posts:35|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Should adults allow underage kids to drink?

SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 12:53:07 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Aside from the fact that it's ILLEGAL, some parents do allow their children and their children's friends to drink alcohol so long as it is in their home and under their "supervision" (a term I use loosely because I would hardly call it responsible supervision). Teens who drink with adult supervision are more likely to develop problems with alcohol later in life. When will parents learn that they are responsible for parenting...not for be-friending their children?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:03:49 PM
It's dependent on a few factors (age, maturity, motive, etc). I don't think you're necessarily a bad parent for letting a 19 year old drink, or you're not necessarily a great parent because you let them.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:05:46 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:03:49 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
It's dependent on a few factors (age, maturity, motive, etc). I don't think you're necessarily a bad parent for letting a 19 year old drink, or you're not necessarily a great parent because you let them.

It seems odd for you to say 19 since 19 is legal here. xD I keep forgetting that it's 21 in the US.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:11:59 PM
If you're 18 you're legally an adult and should therefore be able to decide if you want to drink or not. It's rather arbitrary that adults have to wait til 21 to have a beer.

When it comes to teens and pre-teens, that's where it becomes a bit more difficult because of bodies that aren't fully developed yet. I've been drinking since I was 15 though not very heavily, just occasionally, and I'm now 22 and doing perfectly fine and suffer from no addictions or alcoholism.

I don't really know what the age is that is physically safe to consume alcohol, though I assume young because childrens couph syrup has alcohol in it.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:16:45 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:05:46 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

It seems odd for you to say 19 since 19 is legal here. xD I keep forgetting that it's 21 in the US.:

It used to be 18 in the US, and I think it still should be.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:18:39 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:16:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

It seems odd for you to say 19 since 19 is legal here. xD I keep forgetting that it's 21 in the US.:

Here it varies by province. Alberta, Manitoba, and Quebec are all 18. I personally think 18 everywhere is reasonable though.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:24:50 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:11:59 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If you're 18 you're legally an adult and should therefore be able to decide if you want to drink or not. It's rather arbitrary that adults have to wait til 21 to have a beer.

When it comes to teens and pre-teens, that's where it becomes a bit more difficult because of bodies that aren't fully developed yet. I've been drinking since I was 15 though not very heavily, just occasionally, and I'm now 22 and doing perfectly fine and suffer from no addictions or alcoholism.

I don't really know what the age is that is physically safe to consume alcohol, though I assume young because childrens couph syrup has alcohol in it.

It's about moderation. A child's liver is not able to process the alcohol very well (it still can to some degree), and so small amounts are okay (like it is safe to injest small amounts of cyanide, just not large amounts). The problem is that large amounts of alcohol cause more damage to minors than to adults (because of body development).

Another factor is that acohol's effect is based on concentration, so 1 beer to a 200 pound adult =/= 1 beer to a 75 pound child.

In my opinion, EVERY PARENT should have their children try alcohol at a young age (like middle school) to start teaching about being responsible with it. Does everyone agree that abstience-only education does not work with teen-pregnancies? Can we agree that for the same reasons, it likely won't work with alcohol either?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:26:51 PM
At 5/10/2011 12:53:07 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:
Aside from the fact that it's ILLEGAL, some parents do allow their children and their children's friends to drink alcohol so long as it is in their home and under their "supervision" (a term I use loosely because I would hardly call it responsible supervision). Teens who drink with adult supervision are more likely to develop problems with alcohol later in life. When will parents learn that they are responsible for parenting...not for be-friending their children?

My aunt is that way, with drinking, pot, and smoking.
Because of the easy access, I don't feel compelled to do any of them, and only drink a few times a year (and always week things, such as mike's brand stuff, sangria, wine etc), whereas my friends that have parents that completely outlaw it, are always drinking vodka (among other things) about a pint a week, -and- drive. So yeah I don't buy your case at all.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:29:18 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:26:51 PM, lovelife wrote:

My aunt is that way, with drinking, pot, and smoking.
Because of the easy access, I don't feel compelled to do any of them, and only drink a few times a year (and always week things, such as mike's brand stuff, sangria, wine etc), whereas my friends that have parents that completely outlaw it, are always drinking vodka (among other things) about a pint a week, -and- drive. So yeah I don't buy your case at all.

lol, it wasn't really restricted for me either. I just really had no desire to drink until quite recently. My sister was a complete drunk at my age though and a drug addict when she was younger.
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:29:29 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:24:50 PM, OreEle wrote:

It's about moderation. A child's liver is not able to process the alcohol very well (it still can to some degree), and so small amounts are okay (like it is safe to injest small amounts of cyanide, just not large amounts). The problem is that large amounts of alcohol cause more damage to minors than to adults (because of body development).

Another factor is that acohol's effect is based on concentration, so 1 beer to a 200 pound adult =/= 1 beer to a 75 pound child.

In my opinion, EVERY PARENT should have their children try alcohol at a young age (like middle school) to start teaching about being responsible with it.

My dad did that. He put everclear in dr pepper and made me try it. He didn't tell me until after I wanted to puke that nasty shiit up. I was expecting dr pepper!

Does everyone agree that abstience-only education does not work with teen-pregnancies? Can we agree that for the same reasons, it likely won't work with alcohol either?

yes. 100% true.
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:36:10 PM
I think a lot of us learn our limits when it comes to alcohol, often early on. I'd say this idea is preferable to some college kid waiting until he's 21 to go drinking for the first and see where it goes. I think this question depends on the kid though. A lot of kids are going to know their limits and remember their hangovers, but there will always be those who don't.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:39:01 PM
Age limit is 18 here in the UK - but everyone has gotten massively pissed at least twice by the time they're 14. It's made worse by the fact that all the poor kids are given EMA (education maintenance allowance) which, hilariously, the government thinks kids will spend on textbooks and other learning materials.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:39:57 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:29:29 PM, lovelife wrote:
At 5/10/2011 1:24:50 PM, OreEle wrote:

In my opinion, EVERY PARENT should have their children try alcohol at a young age (like middle school) to start teaching about being responsible with it.

My dad did that. He put everclear in dr pepper and made me try it. He didn't tell me until after I wanted to puke that nasty shiit up. I was expecting dr pepper!

lol, that's a little different than what I had in mind (and everclear goes best with coke).

But it also takes responsible parents. My wife's parents were (and still are) horrible drunks, so naturally, my wife never wanted to touch the stuff ever. I thankfully was able to show her that it is possible to be responsible with it though.

Does everyone agree that abstience-only education does not work with teen-pregnancies? Can we agree that for the same reasons, it likely won't work with alcohol either?

yes. 100% true.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:42:27 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:36:10 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
I think a lot of us learn our limits when it comes to alcohol, often early on. I'd say this idea is preferable to some college kid waiting until he's 21 to go drinking for the first and see where it goes. I think this question depends on the kid though. A lot of kids are going to know their limits and remember their hangovers, but there will always be those who don't.

Most people do not wait till 21 to drink. I am a example, my first drink was 16. Lucky for me never liked the taste.

Sure they may remember their hangovers but it does not really effect a person, now if something tragic were to happen...
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:48:29 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:42:27 PM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:

Most people do not wait till 21 to drink. I am a example, my first drink was 16. Lucky for me never liked the taste.

Sure they may remember their hangovers but it does not really effect a person, now if something tragic were to happen...

There are certainly some people who let loose when they hit milestones.

My "hangovers" (well the hangovers of someone who isn't me since I'm only 14) still effect me profoundly since I learn my the mistakes of SWIM. A lot of people don't, and I feel for those people.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:50:52 PM

My hangovers are usually not that bad since near the end of the night I switch to drinking just water. Water really helps I think, and food. I usually end up craving greasy fast food when I'm intoxicated anyway.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 1:58:51 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:50:52 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

My hangovers are usually not that bad since near the end of the night I switch to drinking just water. Water really helps I think, and food. I usually end up craving greasy fast food when I'm intoxicated anyway.

Greasy fat (saturated fat) as well as complex carbs (starch or breads) help slow the absorption of alcohol, thus allowing you to not get as drunk, but stay drunk longer. It also gets your digestive track working on something solid, to help burn off some energy that the alcohol gives you (5.5 cal per gram of ethanol).
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:06:11 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:58:51 PM, OreEle wrote:

Greasy fat (saturated fat) as well as complex carbs (starch or breads) help slow the absorption of alcohol, thus allowing you to not get as drunk, but stay drunk longer. It also gets your digestive track working on something solid, to help burn off some energy that the alcohol gives you (5.5 cal per gram of ethanol).

I did not know that. I guess that explains why I always crash and burn after coming home and eating.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:07:25 PM

Well how much are you drinking? I know water can help, but if SWIM is taking like 10 shots in like 1.5-2 hrs it's would seem to require a lot of water. Water can definitely help though.

Oreole, I've heard eating fatty foods when drunk is something you need to be careful of since it can stay in your body? I don't know much about nutrition, just something I heard.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:13:55 PM
At 5/10/2011 2:07:25 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Well how much are you drinking? I know water can help, but if SWIM is taking like 10 shots in like 1.5-2 hrs it's would seem to require a lot of water. Water can definitely help though.

Oreole, I've heard eating fatty foods when drunk is something you need to be careful of since it can stay in your body? I don't know much about nutrition, just something I heard.

Of course, you need to be aware what you eat. Since eatty the fatty foods to help for the night of partying still can add a ton of calories to your belly. Also note, that a single shot has 96 calories from the alcohol alone (so if you throw back 10 shots of vodka, that is 960 calories, plus whatever food you go with it).
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 2:58:43 PM
At 5/10/2011 1:16:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Yeah. It makes no sense. You are responsible enough to decide for society (by voting), but not apparently responsible enough to decide for yourself.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:08:42 PM
If your kids are great sheep and never question authority, there is no upside to exposing them to alcohol. If your kids are rebellious by nature, you should prepare them for the dangers they will be sure to uncover on their own, outside of your supervision.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 3:10:18 PM
At 5/10/2011 3:08:42 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
If your kids are great sheep and never question authority, there is no upside to exposing them to alcohol.

They would have to be perfect sheep, which very very very few are.

If your kids are rebellious by nature, you should prepare them for the dangers they will be sure to uncover on their own, outside of your supervision.

I prefer the term "curious" rather than "rebellious." Since rebel implies that they are doing it for no other reason than because you said "no."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 4:13:39 PM
If you have wine at the table on occasion, or treat it as a normal accompaniment to food, or whatever, you take the mystique out of it. If it's less taboo it will be less of a target of rebellion.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 4:19:54 PM
I'm going to tell my kids to get bad grades, so they rebel and get good grades.
Phoenix_Reaper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 6:09:00 PM
At 5/10/2011 4:19:54 PM, OreEle wrote:

I thought about doing that if for some forsaken reason I have kids. Than I decided na I will use the reward system. You may do whatever you wish as long as you maintain a 3.5 + GPA. Go below it and I take everything even the clothes off your back.
Phoenix Reaper - To rise from the ashes of defeat and claim your soul.

: At 3/15/2011 4:23:07 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
: Taste is for pussïes. Be a nihilist. Drink vodka.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2011 6:15:52 PM
At 5/10/2011 6:09:00 PM, Phoenix_Reaper wrote:
At 5/10/2011 4:19:54 PM, OreEle wrote:

I thought about doing that if for some forsaken reason I have kids. Than I decided na I will use the reward system. You may do whatever you wish as long as you maintain a 3.5 + GPA. Go below it and I take everything even the clothes off your back.

You incestuious pedophile!
juvanya
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 12:17:38 AM

The same age when you can start drinking bleach.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2011 1:01:04 AM
At 5/10/2011 12:53:07 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:

I can only speak from experience.

I was allowed to drink, when ever I wanted to as much as I wanted to. I was also allowed to do drugs and I had a live in girlfriend at 15.

I will NOT be letting my children do ANY of those things.

I grew up to be one screwed up person. I was an alcoholic at 17. I routinely used several drugs, I smoked everyday all day.

I wouldn't advice ANY parent to allow their children to endorse any of these habits. I couldn't begin to list the heartache and destruction these three things brought to my life.
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen