Jump to topic:

Newt Gingrich

lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 4:34:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can't see why any conservatives or republicans would vote for him given his personal history.
Anyone see people getting over it?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 4:39:25 PM
At 5/13/2011 4:34:29 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I can't see why any conservatives or republicans would vote for him given his personal history.
Anyone see people getting over it?:

Absolutely. Look at Bill Clinton.

The long term memory of most American voters is the equivalent of a full retard distracted by a shiny object.

"Newt Gingrich is a degenerate, hypocrite who clearly... ooh shiny!!!"
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2011 9:25:20 PM
At 5/13/2011 4:35:49 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Against Obama? He doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.

This in the category of the New York Times columnist who expressed astonishment at Bush beating Gore, because none of her friends voted for him.

Gingrich's flamboyant personal history may be an insurmountable obstacle in him getting the Republican nomination. He claims to have now found Jesus, etc. We'll see. The liberal press will feign moral indignation, although they really don't care. Republicans have no real choice but to vote for the Republican. They cannot vote for Obama. So that leaves it up to the independents. Post-Clinton and post-JFK revelations, I suspect that marital infidelities would be a lot less important than the economy as an issue.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 2:31:38 PM
Newt is actually my top pick. I care about his policy proposals, not his personal life. As a neoconservative I dont care about his personal life and Id take that any day over Obama and his ill-conceived economic policies. Just my small input.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 3:41:22 PM

Donald Trump just left the race. Huckabee also did a few days ago. I'll give Newt about another month.

Romney is the favorite to win the nomination, but he has a lot of baggage.
Chancellor of Propaganda and Foreign Relations in the Franklin administration.

"I intend to live forever. So far, so good." -- Steven Wright
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 3:47:57 PM

Ole Newty is a quintessential conservative, and therefore ideologically hardcore conservatives and staunch members of the right-wing's culture-war home guard would perhaps be willing to overlook his hypocritical history and off-putting personality to cast their votes for him, but he'll probably make about as dismally bad a showing in the upcoming election as Donald Trump would have if he hadn't opted to do another season of Celebrity Apprentice rather than throw money away on a losing bid for the White House. Obama probably can rest easy, he's probably a shoo-in to be a two-termer, too bad he's not a real leftist!
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 3:53:42 PM
At 5/16/2011 3:47:57 PM, charleslb wrote:

Ole Newty is a quintessential conservative, and therefore ideologically hardcore conservatives and staunch members of the right-wing's culture-war home guard would perhaps be willing to overlook his hypocritical history and off-putting personality to cast their votes for him, but he'll probably make about as dismally bad a showing in the upcoming election as Donald Trump would have if he hadn't opted to do another season of Celebrity Apprentice rather than throw money away on a losing bid for the White House. Obama probably can rest easy, he's probably a shoo-in to be a two-termer, too bad he's not a real leftist!

That is a really long sentence, bro.

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 3:53:48 PM
At 5/16/2011 3:47:57 PM, charleslb wrote:

1st off, just because Obama is not far left as you or I, does not mean he is not a leftist.

2nd, Trump would have been awesome to run against. The humor of listening to him would help the mood of the nation and help remind us all that it could be so much worse than it is now.

3rd, Newt isn't really comparible to Trump.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 8:37:37 PM
At 5/16/2011 2:31:38 PM, CiRrK wrote:
Newt is actually my top pick. I care about his policy proposals, not his personal life. As a neoconservative I dont care about his personal life and Id take that any day over Obama and his ill-conceived economic policies. Just my small input.

Is his personally life not a shining example of what kinds of choices he makes? He's been cheating and lying for decades but you'd over look that for what specifically in his policy proposals?

Freeman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 9:08:25 PM
This guy would win the nomination, if he ran. http://www.draftmarcorubio.com...

RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:20:13 PM
What's going to be fun is watching all the leftists who defended Clinton getting Lewinskied in the Oval Office on the grounds that was his personal life, now feign moral outrage at Newt. Newt didn't lie under oath, BTW.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:24:33 PM
Now that Newt has called Ryan's plan "right social engineering" and generally accpeted the individual mandate, he is pretty much self-defeated. Onwards to RON PAUL!
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:31:10 PM
I just read about the guy on Wiki since tbh, I don't really know much about him and apparently he thinks America is becoming too secular so I can easily suspect where most of his support will be coming from...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:32:03 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:24:33 PM, mongoose wrote:
Now that Newt has called Ryan's plan "right social engineering" and generally accpeted the individual mandate, he is pretty much self-defeated. Onwards to RON PAUL!

Gingrich has been backpedaling on that all day. That's a problem with Newt; he tends to speak rashly.

Ron Paul has said that bi Laden should not have been shot, but rather should have been arrested and tried. I suppose if an impartial jury could not found, we'd have to let him go. How many Republicans are going to endorse Miranda rights on the battlefield?
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:43:37 PM
At 5/16/2011 10:32:03 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

Gingrich has been backpedaling on that all day. That's a problem with Newt; he tends to speak rashly.

Ron Paul has said that bi Laden should not have been shot, but rather should have been arrested and tried. I suppose if an impartial jury could not found, we'd have to let him go. How many Republicans are going to endorse Miranda rights on the battlefield?

http://en.wikipedia.org...

Ron Paul supported letters of marque and reprisal. This invovles admiralty courts, which are juryless. This does not involve things like battlefields.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 10:59:08 PM

His only opposition now is Mitt Romney, shouldn't be too much of a problem.
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 11:13:27 AM
At 5/16/2011 8:37:37 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Is his personally life not a shining example of what kinds of choices he makes? He's been cheating and lying for decades but you'd over look that for what specifically in his policy proposals?

As pointed out by Roy, the left tried to protect Clinton under the premise it was his personal life. Which I do agree too. But he actually committed legal perjury.

But, yes, i would take his policies over his personal life. Out of all the candidates I believe he is the most suited for suggesting legislation and policy to Congress. If he wants to cheat on his wife idc, but I do care about fighting inflation and the debt without resulting in private sector slowdown. Also he seems to be the only candidate taking the cyber threat seriously, and seeing that Russia and China are both developing cyber-warfare type capabilities, I believe that will be extremely important in the future.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 11:44:17 AM
At 5/17/2011 11:13:27 AM, CiRrK wrote:

As pointed out by Roy, the left tried to protect Clinton under the premise it was his personal life. Which I do agree too. But he actually committed legal perjury.

But, yes, i would take his policies over his personal life. Out of all the candidates I believe he is the most suited for suggesting legislation and policy to Congress. If he wants to cheat on his wife idc, but I do care about fighting inflation and the debt without resulting in private sector slowdown. Also he seems to be the only candidate taking the cyber threat seriously, and seeing that Russia and China are both developing cyber-warfare type capabilities, I believe that will be extremely important in the future.

What about Ron Paul, he would go after the debt and inflation much more aggressively than would Newt.
As for cyber warfare, thats all defense. I doubt Newt knows much more about cyber warfare than anyone else, however we could put billions of dollars into cyber defense if we stopped trying to police the world.

CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:27:20 PM
At 5/17/2011 11:44:17 AM, lewis20 wrote:
At 5/17/2011 11:13:27 AM, CiRrK wrote:

What about Ron Paul, he would go after the debt and inflation much more aggressively than would Newt.
As for cyber warfare, thats all defense. I doubt Newt knows much more about cyber warfare than anyone else, however we could put billions of dollars into cyber defense if we stopped trying to police the world.

I agree with Paul obviously on economic issues, but I disagree on foreign policy. He imagines that the US can become a 19th Century isolationist Republic, but that isnt possible at this point in time, due to globalization and emerging threats. In this respect I think Newt is preferable. And I said hes the only who sees it as a major threat. I havent seen the other candidates mention it.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:45:07 PM
At 5/18/2011 3:27:20 PM, CiRrK wrote:
I agree with Paul obviously on economic issues, but I disagree on foreign policy. He imagines that the US can become a 19th Century isolationist Republic
Paul is a non-interventionist, not an isolationist -- there's a huge difference.
but that isnt possible at this point in time, due to globalization and emerging threats
Such as...?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 3:51:17 PM
At 5/18/2011 3:27:20 PM, CiRrK wrote:

I agree with Paul obviously on economic issues, but I disagree on foreign policy. He imagines that the US can become a 19th Century isolationist Republic, but that isnt possible at this point in time, due to globalization and emerging threats. In this respect I think Newt is preferable. And I said hes the only who sees it as a major threat. I havent seen the other candidates mention it.

To be fair Paul is simply a non interventionist, but what foreign intervention do you think we should continue?
Propping up repressive regimes friendly to us while supporting "democratic uprisings" in those countries we don't find favorable?
The 30,000 troops we have stationed in South Korea ?
The bases we occupy in 150 countries?
Is it possible "that the terrorist threat is a predictable consequence of us meddling in the affairs of others?"-Ron Paul
Our intervention in foreign affairs is the problem, not the answer.

CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:54:27 PM
To Nags: I was being sarcastic mostly.

To Lewis: Would you like to debate that non-interventionism is preferable to interventionism?
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:56:45 PM
At 5/18/2011 4:54:27 PM, CiRrK wrote:

To Lewis: Would you like to debate that non-interventionism is preferable to interventionism?

As america has/ is doing it? sure

Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2011 4:59:30 PM
At 5/18/2011 4:56:45 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 5/18/2011 4:54:27 PM, CiRrK wrote:

As america has/ is doing it? sure

Sounds like a fun debate, I shall be reading it.