Who killed the electric car?

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/16/2011 2:01:53 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/16/2011 12:00:16 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
George Bush killed the electric car by preserving oil prices.

That's like blaming your thumb and forefinger for swinging an axe that murdered someone... B43 didn't just decide all this on his own. But yes, you're certainly right that the free market would have been much kinder to the electric car without cheap gas. But the point of the film is to say that the electric car still should have been able to compete anyway. Private firms are the ones causing the most problems here. Removing the government would change the rules, but the free market isn't going to address smog or global warming...
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 12:25:03 AM
I really wish we had let GM fail. I'm going to make sure my next car is not U.S. made. We could have very well subsidized the television industry and saved it as well, but we didn't, and that was the right thing to do.
kfc
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 4:39:42 AM
At 5/17/2011 12:25:03 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I really wish we had let GM fail. I'm going to make sure my next car is not U.S. made. We could have very well subsidized the television industry and saved it as well, but we didn't, and that was the right thing to do.

I agree that governments should let crappy businesses fail, but why ensure you buy from overseas? Where a car is made wouldn't have any bearing on my choice of vehicle. Performance, cost and aesthetics are where its at (which inevitably means British is the way to go =P)
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2011 8:48:13 AM
At 5/17/2011 4:39:42 AM, Thaddeus wrote:
At 5/17/2011 12:25:03 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

I agree that governments should let crappy businesses fail, but why ensure you buy from overseas? Where a car is made wouldn't have any bearing on my choice of vehicle. Performance, cost and aesthetics are where its at (which inevitably means British is the way to go =P)

Well, other than my spiteful reaction to these pencil-necks being able to control what I drive (autos are expensive enough to make that the market is far from 'free'), I wouldn't buy a GM product specifically because that company should have legitimately went under. Of course you and I both know that I'd probably just end up buying a car from a company that looks different but is actually still connected right back to who I'm trying to avoid. I remember in fifth grade, being told that a company wanted to buy American, so they spent all this extra money on John Deere products just to find out that three quarters of the parts in the machines were made in Japan (that was 1992 so my memory could be a bit fuzzed on that one).
kfc