Jump to topic:

Herman Cain

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 8:32:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Herman Cain seems to be the most likely Republican candidate next to Ron Paul, so I thought I'd make a thread exposing his views. I believe he's the most likely because he has full support from the Tea Party and is the most requested speaker for Tea Party events. Even Glenn Beck supports him and his speech at CPAC made all the Conservatives believe he is another Ronald Reagan.

Remember, the Tea Party votes were strong enough to elect Rand Paul and almost elected Sharon Angle. The Tea Party and Conservative talk radio shows do not support Mitt Romney nor Newt Gingrich because they are both status quo people who are closer to being moderate than Conservative.

Herman Cain's platform:

Federal Reserve: He supports it.

Gold Standard: He supports it.

Welfare: He opposes it.

Social Security: Supports Bush's reforms, but does not support privatizing it.

Abortion: He opposes it. He's pro-life.

Education: Cain favors performance incentives for teachers. Cain also favors vouchers and charter school systems. He does not believe the Dept. of Education should be abolished.

Health Care: He supports a free market approach.

Immigration: Wants to secure borders.

Gay marriage: Opposes gay marriage and supports the Defense of Marriage Act.

Foreign Policy: Supports Israel.

Analysis

He appears to be the perfect candidate for the Tea Partiers because his position on the issues perfectly line up with them. Even though Ron Paul is known as being a leader and founder of the Tea Party movement, he doesn't actually agree with the Tea Partiers on many issues. Fortunately, the Tea Partiers aren't that bright and don't realize they disagree with Ron Paul and therefore support him primarily because of his economic policies.

Despite Herman Cains perfect match up with Tea Party values, he just simply doesn't get any exposure or any mention in the media or talk radio. There will be a bit of praise sparsely spread around, but he's really quite unpopular as far as being well known goes. Most likely, all the Tea Partiers will go with Ron Paul.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 9:05:28 PM
At 5/20/2011 8:32:00 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Despite Herman Cains perfect match up with Tea Party values, he just simply doesn't get any exposure or any mention in the media or talk radio.

He was talked about extensively on Limbaugh today, he was on Hannity, and was extensively talked about on Ingram. This has been going on for about the last week. They all like him, and pretty much every non-dissenting caller liked him. I figure this front isn't going to be an issue.

(Yeah, I listen to talk radio. All the time.)
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 9:12:48 PM
At 5/20/2011 9:05:28 PM, Korashk wrote:
Despite Herman Cains perfect match up with Tea Party values, he just simply doesn't get any exposure or any mention in the media or talk radio.

He was talked about extensively on Limbaugh today,

Really? I listened to Limbaugh all week except today. Figures.

he was on Hannity,

How recent? I've seen one on Youtube today from quite a bit ago.

and was extensively talked about on Ingram. This has been going on for about the last week. They all like him, and pretty much every non-dissenting caller liked him. I figure this front isn't going to be an issue.

(Yeah, I listen to talk radio. All the time.)

Likewise.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 9:24:27 PM
Federal Reserve: He supports it.

Gold Standard: He supports it.

Uhhh...contradiction?
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 9:31:35 PM
At 5/20/2011 9:12:48 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/20/2011 9:05:28 PM, Korashk wrote:

He was talked about extensively on Limbaugh today,

Really? I listened to Limbaugh all week except today. Figures.

he was on Hannity,

How recent? I've seen one on Youtube today from quite a bit ago.

Today. It might not have been Hannity. But it was either Hannity or Ingram.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 1:47:10 PM
Herman Cain seems to be the most likely Republican candidate next to Ron Paul,

Seriously? I love RP and he doubtlessly has my vote, but does he really have that good, even decent of a shot for the GOP nomination...?
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 2:03:22 PM
At 5/21/2011 1:47:10 PM, jat93 wrote:

Seriously? I love RP and he doubtlessly has my vote, but does he really have that good, even decent of a shot for the GOP nomination...?

Nope. But he's pushing ideas out giving them legitimacy that otherwise are almost taboo. He has the power to promote a movement which very well may dominate the GOP. - That is the only hope of a libertarian president.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 3:37:58 PM

He is leading all the polls, raises the most money, and wins all the debates. Yes, he has a good shot this time around.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:18:58 PM
At 5/21/2011 3:37:58 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

He is leading all the polls, raises the most money, and wins all the debates. Yes, he has a good shot this time around.

Geo, i admire your enthusiasm and optimism, but i haven't seen any credible poll that indicates Paul is leading. What i have read is that after a debate he does really well among those who watched, but otherwise i haven't seen the real evidence to support the sort of hope you have.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 4:44:23 PM
At 5/21/2011 4:18:58 PM, innomen wrote:

Geo, i admire your enthusiasm and optimism, but i haven't seen any credible poll that indicates Paul is leading. What i have read is that after a debate he does really well among those who watched, but otherwise i haven't seen the real evidence to support the sort of hope you have.

http://www.infowars.com...

https://www.facebook.com...

http://punditpress.blogspot.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:21:58 PM

innomen, i have to say you're flat out wrong. many, if not a majority of the polls i have seen that include ron paul either show him leading or very very close behind. that does give me hope, as an adamant paul supporter.
unfortunately, and much to my dismay, i fear that these polls are for naught. since he has probably the most active and dedicated online support of any politician around today, it only follows that he rips up a ton of online polls. but it's unclear how this would translate into real votes, and that is what has me worried... do online polls, where generally, only the more opinionated and politically aware individuals will vote, really serve as indicators of any real life election...?

in addition to that, the activism of paul's supporters undoubtably leads to more than one vote for person when possible... well, you see where i'm going. i'm just nervous because of those reasons and because in the primary elections, we won't have the advantages we have in an online poll, where we can simply copy and paste the link and spread it around to active ron paul supporters around the web.

i want nothing more than ron paul to win the primaries, but i think the correlation between online and real life votes is minimal at best.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:36:54 PM
At 5/21/2011 4:44:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

http://punditpress.blogspot.com...:

He did preface it by saying he hasn't seen a credible poll showing Ron Paul taking the lead.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:41:48 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:39:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
I'd rather vote for Obama:

On what basis? Things aren't f*cked up enough for your taste?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:47:07 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:36:54 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/21/2011 4:44:23 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

http://punditpress.blogspot.com...:

He did preface it by saying he hasn't seen a credible poll showing Ron Paul taking the lead.

The first link is a link to a CNN poll showing that Ron Paul has the best chance against Obama vs any other GOP candidate. CNN is not credible to you?
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:49:34 PM

Innomen, did you actually analyze the poll data you just posted? Ron Paul is actually tied for second place in all the polling data in that link beating out every single GOP candidate except Romney. But Romney is Mormon and supports government mandate health care. He will lose. Cain wasn't even in the poll data.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 7:16:32 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:39:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
I'd rather vote for Obama

Given your signature - individual rights, free markets, Ronald Reagan quote about libertarianism - I find that really, really perplexing.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 4:26:32 AM
"If you mess with Israel, you mess with the United States."
-- Herman Cain

http://news.yahoo.com...
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 5:01:51 AM
At 5/21/2011 6:49:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Innomen, did you actually analyze the poll data you just posted? Ron Paul is actually tied for second place in all the polling data in that link beating out every single GOP candidate except Romney. But Romney is Mormon and supports government mandate health care. He will lose. Cain wasn't even in the poll data.

Help me out, i don't see that at all, in every poll i see, he's trailing behind significantly - unless the question is other than "who would you vote for as president". I would like to think he has a real chance at this, and i hope the media will give him ample attention.

Paul's positives: Not just bright, but actually comes across as bright - yet not arrogant. His positions are really based in common sense and constitutionally bound values. He's a likable guy, and all that with a mix of Texas is good for him.

Negatives, and they are large: The media will rake him over the coals. His age. His primary base of support is the Tea Party (If you look at an organized group of support). He's really an isolationist in non-economic terms (although this could start working for him). He will not get GOP hierarchical support. Position on drug legalization, position on gay marriage.

Geo, i know your natural inclination is to start refuting these negatives, which is fine, but you cannot do this with every American voter.

I would also say, all of these objections (minus the age) are issues that should be put before the public in debate/discussion; so many of these issues are emotional based carry-overs that really need to be understood in the context of a free republic.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 5:14:52 AM
At 5/22/2011 5:01:51 AM, innomen wrote:

Help me out, i don't see that at all, in every poll i see, he's trailing behind significantly

In all the poll data, it was generally in this order: Romney, people not running, and then Gingrich/Paul nearly tied for second.

- unless the question is other than "who would you vote for as president". I would like to think he has a real chance at this, and i hope the media will give him ample attention.

Ron Paul has been making media appearances nearly twice a day, every day for the past two weeks!!!!! The media is giving him enormous coverage.

Paul's positives: Not just bright, but actually comes across as bright - yet not arrogant. His positions are really based in common sense and constitutionally bound values. He's a likable guy, and all that with a mix of Texas is good for him.

Negatives, and they are large: The media will rake him over the coals. His age. His primary base of support is the Tea Party (If you look at an organized group of support).

And college students, and Libertarians, and even many dissatisfied Liberals who want out of the wars that Obama never did.

He's really an isolationist in non-economic terms (although this could start working for him). He will not get GOP hierarchical support. Position on drug legalization, position on gay marriage.

Gay marriage isn't really that big of an issue anymore. Drug legalization is gaining mass support. As you can see, just recently, South Carolina Conservatives cheered abruptly for Heroin. 80% of the population believes marijuana is safe and acceptable to use.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 7:42:14 AM
Speaking of mariajuana legalization, I saw a facebook page (Willie Nelson's Teapot Party) with something like 70000 fans that was dedicated solely to legalization, and there was a poll asking who they'd want to see as President, and Paul beat Obama by 1000 votes. Obviously potheads like that Paul's the only popular candidate who'd actually legalize it while Obama's against it.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 2:42:38 PM
At 5/22/2011 5:14:52 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 5/22/2011 5:01:51 AM, innomen wrote:

Help me out, i don't see that at all, in every poll i see, he's trailing behind significantly

In all the poll data, it was generally in this order: Romney, people not running, and then Gingrich/Paul nearly tied for second.

- unless the question is other than "who would you vote for as president". I would like to think he has a real chance at this, and i hope the media will give him ample attention.

Ron Paul has been making media appearances nearly twice a day, every day for the past two weeks!!!!! The media is giving him enormous coverage.

Media appearances =/= media coverage.

Negatives, and they are large: The media will rake him over the coals. His age. His primary base of support is the Tea Party (If you look at an organized group of support).

And college students, and Libertarians, and even many dissatisfied Liberals who want out of the wars that Obama never did.

Students disappoint repeatedly, but the other two are there, but not in numbers that he needs.
He's really an isolationist in non-economic terms (although this could start working for him). He will not get GOP hierarchical support. Position on drug legalization, position on gay marriage.

Gay marriage isn't really that big of an issue anymore. Drug legalization is gaining mass support. As you can see, just recently, South Carolina Conservatives cheered abruptly for Heroin. 80% of the population believes marijuana is safe and acceptable to use.

A very big disappointment, but an important tell is what happened in California with the recent referenda on gay marriage and marijuana legalization - both failed in one of the most liberal states in the country. That means something as far as the true guage of our society and how it looks at these things.

Something else i've noticed people bitching about our interventionist stance in the world, but whenever there are any real measures taken that may reduce our military power in the world there is major push back by the American people. We are huge hypocrites all over the place, we desperately want reductions in government spending, but don't want to actually do without ANYTHING.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 3:27:42 AM
Oh god lol

""Keep reading," he said. "Don't stop at life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."
--Herman Cain on The Constitution.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.