Jump to topic:

Ron Paul Debates William F. Buckley

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 8:52:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Ron Paul debates the public intellectual and Conservative author, William F. Buckley.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 8:53:47 PM
Why have I never seen these before?
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 9:04:10 PM
If he was born in New York and died in Connecticut, why does Buckley have a British accent? lol
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 10:51:01 PM
At 5/20/2011 9:04:10 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If he was born in New York and died in Connecticut, why does Buckley have a British accent? lol

He lived in Paris when he was really young and he lived in England for elementary school, middle school, and early high school.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2011 11:33:34 PM
At 5/20/2011 11:32:34 PM, badger wrote:
he just sounds like he wants to make things less corruptible rather than completely abolish the state..

rather than to abolish the state at all.. this is the dude all the anarcho capitalists love, right?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 12:02:16 AM
anarcho capitalism = limited government?

that's not what i took from my discussions with sieben...

it'd not sound so airy fairy that way at least...
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 1:06:44 AM
At 5/21/2011 12:02:16 AM, badger wrote:

it's that he's more for capitalism than government, than an anarcho capitalist himself that all you ancaps like him?
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 1:08:08 AM
At 5/21/2011 1:06:44 AM, badger wrote:

it's that he's more for capitalism than government, than an anarcho capitalist himself that all you ancaps like him?

that'd make sense i suppose. why do ye think he's a minarchist though? :)
signature
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:41:56 PM
Buckley is virtually the definition of a modern Conservative. He founded the movement in the 1950's with his book "God and Man at Yale" and his magazine National Review. Buckley was Catholic, and National Review had a religious-Conservative slant, but they published pieces by atheist conservatives.

Buckley ran for Mayor of New York City using the phrase "John Lindsey is an oxymoron." Lindsey was called a "Liberal Republican," which Buckley took to be a contradiction in terms.

Firing Line ran for many years and featured Buckley debating opponents across the political spectrum. I think these remain the best examples of debate ever on television. You can see Buckley's relentless pursuit of central issues and frequent reference to relevant facts and examples. It's quite a contrast to the reliance on theory and aspirations that characterize the public debates we see today.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:51:21 PM
At 5/23/2011 2:41:56 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Buckley is virtually the definition of a modern Conservative. He founded the movement in the 1950's with his book "God and Man at Yale" and his magazine National Review. Buckley was Catholic, and National Review had a religious-Conservative slant, but they published pieces by atheist conservatives.

Buckley ran for Mayor of New York City using the phrase "John Lindsey is an oxymoron." Lindsey was called a "Liberal Republican," which Buckley took to be a contradiction in terms.

Firing Line ran for many years and featured Buckley debating opponents across the political spectrum. I think these remain the best examples of debate ever on television. You can see Buckley's relentless pursuit of central issues and frequent reference to relevant facts and examples. It's quite a contrast to the reliance on theory and aspirations that characterize the public debates we see today.

His style and quality are definitely not approached by anything I see today. DDO's relatively insignificant impact in the world of social networking is evidence that the vast majority of people are not interested in debating their ideas. Most would be happy, if even inclined to discuss politics, to sit around in a small crowd of like-mindedly ignorant people and simply throw around emotionalisms.
kfc
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 12:06:29 PM
At 5/21/2011 1:08:08 AM, badger wrote:
At 5/21/2011 1:06:44 AM, badger wrote:

that'd make sense i suppose. why do ye think he's a minarchist though? :)

Is he?