Total Posts:9|Showing Posts:1-9
Jump to topic:

Tim Pawlenty's "Clear Path" To White House..?

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 6:56:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So Pawlenty's evangelicalism will get him straight to the White House? LMAO! NOT! Religion is on the decline, especially after all the distaste for the absurdity of religion today. Economy and foreign policy IS number one. Civil liberties should be number one, but that too is on the top 5 list as well. When people are losing jobs and dying in wars, they aren't thinking too much about religious affiliation of a candidate!

I hope Ron Paul sticks to his guns and doesn't try to appeal to the evangelicals, because if he does, it may alienate his Libertarian support, and if you haven't noticed, many Libertarians tend to be Atheist. Of course, RP in the past has made it clear that he prefers to keep his religious beliefs to himself and said it's distasteful to use your religious affiliation for political gain.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 7:28:18 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:56:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
So Pawlenty's evangelicalism will get him straight to the White House? LMAO! NOT! Religion is on the decline, especially after all the distaste for the absurdity of religion today. Economy and foreign policy IS number one. Civil liberties should be number one, but that too is on the top 5 list as well. When people are losing jobs and dying in wars, they aren't thinking too much about religious affiliation of a candidate!

While I do agree with you that religion isn't necessarily a make it or break it topic especially in this election... You underestimate its remaining influence. First of all, remember, it's not religion per se that would sell a candidate in the Southern states, its their policies. Ron Paul could be the most religious, bible thumping Jesus nut in the world in his private life, but his policies would negate that and make it practically irrelevant in religious Southern voters' eyes.

So though I might not agree with the article, it's not just Pawlenty's evangelicanism, it's the policies that ensue because of it... And though you're right that the economy and foreign policy are extremely important, you seriously disregard the influence of those like Mike Huckabee and Rick Santorum and their supporters that are unwilling to compromise the importance of social issues.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 11:12:55 PM
At 5/22/2011 10:58:52 PM, mauricio2 wrote:
obama all the way! the last thing we need is a republican president!

Republicans teach our kids to capitalize.
kfc
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 8:41:53 AM

No, the last thing we need is a neo-con President, but I think even that would be better than Obama (you know, the whole economy deal...).
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 12:22:52 PM
At 5/23/2011 8:41:53 AM, jat93 wrote:

No, the last thing we need is a neo-con President, but I think even that would be better than Obama (you know, the whole economy deal...).

Neocons are bad for the national debt, almost as bad as Neo-welfare-libs

Trash em both.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 2:55:29 PM
At 5/21/2011 6:56:21 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I hope Ron Paul sticks to his guns and doesn't try to appeal to the evangelicals, because if he does, it may alienate his Libertarian support, and if you haven't noticed, many Libertarians tend to be Atheist. Of course, RP in the past has made it clear that he prefers to keep his religious beliefs to himself and said it's distasteful to use your religious affiliation for political gain.

Actually, bruh, there's two things that I see wrong with what you said, the rest I agree with:
1. Religion is on the decline.
Um... No it's not... People of any religion outnumber atheists and agnostics by a HUGE amount.

2. People don't care about religion in politics
I know it's sad, but people do. People made a big deal about Kennedy being a Catholic, and many Republicans won't vote for Romney 'cuz he's a mormon. It won't keep you from achieving your goals or anything, but being anything other than a Protestant Christian can slow you down in politics in America.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10