Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Michael Moore

socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 10:34:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 10:12:58 PM, rarugged wrote:
Thoughts?

...on his weight? I must say I've been concerned for a while.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 10:43:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.fee.org...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!
kfc
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 11:06:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 10:34:23 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 5/21/2011 10:12:58 PM, rarugged wrote:
Thoughts?

...on his weight? I must say I've been concerned for a while.

If he died tomorrow, I would not care a bit.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.
Charles0103
Posts: 523
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 2:18:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

This!
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
innomen
Posts: 10,052
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 3:06:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.

What a great way of describing him.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 5:48:59 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/22/2011 3:06:11 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.

What a great way of describing him.

Even his "facts" are often faked. His videos are purposely deceitful.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 5:57:26 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/22/2011 5:48:59 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 5/22/2011 3:06:11 PM, innomen wrote:
At 5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.

What a great way of describing him.

Even his "facts" are often faked. His videos are purposely deceitful.

I think they are less often faked, but I am probably more objective than most of the sycophants.
Yorble
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 6:44:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.

Only one thing to add- Beck has no movie-making skills. Moore can illustrate his ideas far better than radio ramblings with full-feature movies.
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/22/2011 6:47:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/22/2011 6:44:16 PM, Yorble wrote:
At 5/22/2011 1:59:24 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/21/2011 11:01:44 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Moore's work is awesome. His points are always rock-solid, the issues he focuses on are always relevant, and he manages to keep his pieces entertaining as well. I love hearing right-wingers whine about him too!

He is a liberal version of Glenn Beck... good with the facts and horrible in the conclusions.

Only one thing to add- Beck has no movie-making skills. Moore can illustrate his ideas far better than radio ramblings with full-feature movies.

Oh yes, MM can put Steven Spielberg to shame with his dynamic panning and use of lighting effects.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 1:53:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Michael Moore is a classic propagandist. Lies and distortions are applauded in the name of the cause. Christopher Hitchens (hardly a creature of the right wing) takes Moore apart in Slate (which is not exactly Fox News): http://www.slate.com...
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 9:52:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.

That rings a bell. There was talk about is overuse of drama as well, which the righties found petty. Personally, I'm pretty emotionally charged about the political issues he discusses, so again I find it right-on. After all; Americans are sheep in so many ways - you can't just expect the guy to go 100% fact and hope to get anywhere with us. We need to be lured in with emotion and showed what someone out there really experiences to give the issue any reality in our minds.
kfc
rarugged
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 10:23:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/23/2011 9:52:27 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.

That rings a bell. There was talk about is overuse of drama as well, which the righties found petty. Personally, I'm pretty emotionally charged about the political issues he discusses, so again I find it right-on. After all; Americans are sheep in so many ways - you can't just expect the guy to go 100% fact and hope to get anywhere with us. We need to be lured in with emotion and showed what someone out there really experiences to give the issue any reality in our minds.

The way liberals gain support.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
FREEDO
Posts: 21,057
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 10:25:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/23/2011 10:23:27 PM, rarugged wrote:
At 5/23/2011 9:52:27 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.

That rings a bell. There was talk about is overuse of drama as well, which the righties found petty. Personally, I'm pretty emotionally charged about the political issues he discusses, so again I find it right-on. After all; Americans are sheep in so many ways - you can't just expect the guy to go 100% fact and hope to get anywhere with us. We need to be lured in with emotion and showed what someone out there really experiences to give the issue any reality in our minds.

The way liberals gain support.

No, the way Americans form opinions.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 10:27:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/23/2011 9:52:27 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.

That rings a bell. There was talk about is overuse of drama as well, which the righties found petty. Personally, I'm pretty emotionally charged about the political issues he discusses, so again I find it right-on. After all; Americans are sheep in so many ways - you can't just expect the guy to go 100% fact and hope to get anywhere with us. We need to be lured in with emotion and showed what someone out there really experiences to give the issue any reality in our minds.

Just like Glenn Beck, MM is a great shepherd for the weak.
Hailtothethief
Posts: 29
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 2:33:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
The constructive and informative critique of Michael Moore and his work is so solid, in this thread. I think this thread should become a book.

Chapter 1: Fat guys and why their brain thoughts should be irrelevant.

Chapter 2: Idiots, because I say so.

Chapter 3: Facts, and why they are not facts when I say so without providing evidence.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 2:35:25 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/29/2011 2:33:52 PM, Hailtothethief wrote:
The constructive and informative critique of Michael Moore and his work is so solid, in this thread. I think this thread should become a book.

Chapter 1: Fat guys and why their brain thoughts should be irrelevant.

Chapter 2: Idiots, because I say so.

Chapter 3: Facts, and why they are not facts when I say so without providing evidence.

Yeah, because we all went through the subject before.
At 5/23/2011 8:58:48 PM, FREEDO wrote:
We have a had a thread on this before. Through discussion we concluded that there was nothing inaccurate we could find about his movies but that he obviously only presents one side.

Also, the piece Roy linked:
At 5/23/2011 1:53:29 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
Michael Moore is a classic propagandist. Lies and distortions are applauded in the name of the cause. Christopher Hitchens (hardly a creature of the right wing) takes Moore apart in Slate (which is not exactly Fox News): http://www.slate.com...
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 5:55:14 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/23/2011 9:52:27 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
After all; Americans are sheep in so many ways - you can't just expect the guy to go 100% fact and hope to get anywhere with us.

I expect him, and everyone else, to go 100% fact. People make honest mistakes, but propagandists lie for the cause. A fresh example is Obama's outright lie that the border fence was completed -- with everything short of moats and alligators. He lied in the name of his cause, which is his getting power.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 7:26:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/29/2011 3:26:12 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Well, Chief, with a defense like that you can see that you're clearly out of your league XD

Fix'd
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 5:38:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I watched Capitalism: A Love Story last night and I have to say I was both very impressed and simultaneously very disappointed. His interviews, evidence and stunts were all very entertaining but I couldn't fathom how he came to the conclusion he did!
He's whole bit was "Capitalism is EVUL!" but he actually proved (to me) that when left to it's own devices it works, with his many monologues about 'the good ol' days ' before Reagan (he was an arsehole, wasn't he?).
His conclusion seems to be a democratic socialist system and that frustrated the crap out of me; everything about the movie pointed to the corrupt Government being the problem, not Capitalism.
Furthermore, I couldn't feel sorry for some of the people being kicked out of their homes. You can appeal to emotion all you want, but the guy from the bank in the 3rd act was right: If you can't pay your bills, why should you live in a house for free? If you sign a contract which allows the bank to hike up your interest rates when ever they want, that's your own stupid fault.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
rarugged
Posts: 172
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/30/2011 11:16:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
More like "State Capitalism: A Love Story".

Forgot where I found that.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 6:14:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/30/2011 11:16:06 PM, rarugged wrote:
More like "State Capitalism: A Love Story".

Forgot where I found that.

Exactly.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...