Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:27:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I too, got 28.

Which one's were wrong for you?

Mine were the

"Free markets typically secure more economic prosperity than government's centralized planning because..."

"Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that..."

"The Puritans..."

"The Scopes "Monkey Trial" was about..."

"What was the source of the following phrase: "Government of the people, by the people, for the people"?"

Not gonna say the answers.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:31:06 AM
" If taxes equal government spending, then"
(i know, stupid... by that point i just wanted the test to end lol)

"Government of the people, by the people, for the people"
(almost everyone on the forum i got this from got this question wrong)

" The United States Electoral College:"

" Which of the following statements is true about abortion?"

" In 1935 and 1936 the Supreme Court declared that important parts of the New Deal were unconstitutional. President Roosevelt responded by threatening to:"
(on this one i got it wrong because i thought he actually *did* the correct answer, not just threatened to do it >.<)
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:34:26 AM
31/33

notallcaps
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:35:56 AM
"If taxes equal government spending, then:"
I knew I was answering this one wrong, but I thought it was due to poor test design, I misread the correct option.

"Which of the following fiscal policy combinations has the federal government most often followed to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?"
This one was just a brain fart.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:38:52 AM
crap I got a 28...

The Bill of Rights explicitly prohibits:
Your Answer: discrimination based on race, sex, or religion
Correct Answer: establishing an official religion for the United States

Question: The Puritans:
Your Answer: believed in complete religious freedom
Correct Answer: stressed the sinfulness of all humanity

Question: A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because:
Your Answer: citizens value it as much as bread and medicine
Correct Answer: a resident can benefit from it without directly paying for it

Question: What was the main issue in the debates between Abraham Lincoln and Stephen A. Douglas in 1858?
Your Answer: Are free African Americans citizens of the United States?
Correct Answer: Would slavery be allowed to expand to new territories?

Question: Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas would concur that:
Your Answer: all moral and political truth is relative to one's time and place
Correct Answer: certain permanent moral and political truths are accessible to human reason
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:41:01 AM
I imagine I would do poorly, given it's meant for US Citizens.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:49:34 AM
the average on the other site was 30-31.... i am reluctant to believe that the average american knows thaaaaaat much less than the members of a few internet forums. those weren't particularly difficult questions...

then again, anyone who gets a low score is likely to lie and/or not post, so i am sure there is some bias there.

i am torn.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:55:04 AM
At 5/25/2011 1:49:34 AM, belle wrote:
the average on the other site was 30-31.... i am reluctant to believe that the average american knows thaaaaaat much less than the members of a few internet forums. those weren't particularly difficult questions...

then again, anyone who gets a low score is likely to lie and/or not post, so i am sure there is some bias there.

i am torn.

I have seen some shocking statistics on American intelligence. I think I believe it.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Logic_on_rails
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 1:59:15 AM
Well, I might not be an American citizen or such (or even live in America / have had to study American history) , but I can say this, I can beat both the average citizen and college educator. While I can imagine most of my class getting a worse score on this test than me, makes you wonder about just how knowledgeable Americans are of their own country's history.

Still, it's probably no worse than any country's citizens knowledge of it's history.
"Tis not in mortals to command success
But we"ll do more, Sempronius, we"ll deserve it
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 2:09:46 AM
29/33

I did better than I thought I would.

Wrong answers:
- Which of the following fiscal policy combinations has the federal government most often followed to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?
- If taxes equal government spending, then:
- What was the source of the following phrase: "Government of the people, by the people, for the people"?
- The Puritans:
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 10:11:09 AM
While I can imagine most of my class getting a worse score on this test than me
Perhaps on that test, but not on a grammar one.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 10:47:32 AM

i am torn.

You'll also find that many americans simply don't care what the 1858 debates were about, and so didn't waste their time learning and remembering it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 11:14:55 AM
31/33

Test shows free market bias. They ask you to choose the free market answer without explanation.

Also not sure about the "gov response to recessions question". I can point to different examples of all of them. And I would also argue that an increase in spending is by definition an increase in tax rate.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 11:40:26 AM
At 5/25/2011 10:47:32 AM, OreEle wrote:

i am torn.

You'll also find that many americans simply don't care what the 1858 debates were about, and so didn't waste their time learning and remembering it.

To be honest, on those ones (that one specifically) I took an educated guess.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 12:21:22 PM
31/33

I missed these two:

Question: What was the source of the following phrase: "Government of the people, by the people, for the people"?
Your Answer: Declaration of Independence
Correct Answer: Gettysburg Address

Question: Which of the following are the unalienable rights referred to in the Declaration of Independence?
Your Answer: life, liberty, and property
Correct Answer: life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 12:24:05 PM
30/33

Questions I got wrong:
"A flood-control levee (or National Defense) is considered a public good because"
Umm... Alright now, I'm not going to spoil answers here, but - I do not really understand the reasoning.

"Which of the following fiscal policy combinations has the federal government most often followed to stimulate economic activity when the economy is in a severe recession?"
As others have pointed out... What's "most often"? And is that really true?

"If taxes equal government spending, then"
Aright, I can see why my answer is wrong, but what they claim is sort of a weird way of looking at it, too...

At 5/25/2011 10:47:32 AM, OreEle wrote:
I guessed that one. I mean, what else could it really be..?
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2011 12:38:57 PM
lol, I got 29/33 and the ones I got wrong were all ones I thought I got right and apparently I got all the ones right I didn't have a clue about.