Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Is True Equality Among Human Beings Possible?

PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
jar2187
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 11:31:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?:

Should you be banned from playing basketball just because you couldn't beat Lebron James 1 on 1?
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 12:35:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 11:31:55 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?:

Should you be banned from playing basketball just because you couldn't beat Lebron James 1 on 1?

Yes.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 12:44:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can't view the video because I'm at work... but my answer to your question is no. How do you define "true equality"? I'll come back to this later :)
jar2187
Posts: 12
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 3:49:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 11:31:55 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?:

Should you be banned from playing basketball just because you couldn't beat Lebron James 1 on 1?

Is it his fault that he's a better basketball player than I am?
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/26/2011 8:38:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
We can always genetically modify people so they are truly equal.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
wolfhaines
Posts: 65
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:42:23 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 3:49:31 PM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:31:55 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?:

Should you be banned from playing basketball just because you couldn't beat Lebron James 1 on 1?

Is it his fault that he's a better basketball player than I am?

No, but he may never have an opponent if others aren't given the opportunity to attempt the game. Give all kids a basketball, see who makes MVP in NBA. Not, give a couple kids a basketball and show the others what they are missing out on.
God is an Atheist. Faith is "belief in something that isn't based in fact". Since God knows everything he can't have faith, and because he already is the highest power he doesn't believe in a higher power. Atheist right there.

Last time I checked Logic and Reason weren't the causes of thousands of years of brutal warfare, discrimination, genocide, injustices and torture...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:47:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 5/26/2011 11:31:55 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:22:01 AM, jar2187 wrote:
At 5/26/2011 11:09:19 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Equality, to me, doesn't mean there is a belief that we are all actually equal. We aren't. The idea of equality is that everyone be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail with prejudice.

Why should we all be afforded the same opportunities to succeed or fail?:

Should you be banned from playing basketball just because you couldn't beat Lebron James 1 on 1?

The NBA has every right to ban you from that opportunity if you suck badly. Why do you believe some authority should dictate to the NBA who they should spend time considering?
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,282
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:51:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
The sad fact is, people with disabilities will never have equal opportunity. The will always have to work a LOT harder for the same opportunities because they are NOT equal.

Unless some entity forces charity....
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:55:54 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Okay, so I'm currently watching the video.

First of all, he seems like angry person lol but anyway...

So as I'm watching this video, I'm agreeing with him for the most part. Yes, as a woman, I do not want to be "treated equally" to a man in terms of aggression. Society would look down on a 6ft, 180lb man punching me in the face, but not so much if it were a man of my size. I'm fine with that. What I'm not fine with is that when something is considered "not equal" it is often also considered superior.

lol So I pressed play again and he did say explicitly that "some people are better than others". I disagree. His entire argument is that by what standard are people considered equal--but by what standard is one considered better than other? Unfortunately much of the inequality that exists in this world has nothing to do with what people have actually done and simply the circumstances in which a person is born.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:12:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Didn't watch the video & I'm not quite sure what you mean by the question. How do you define equality?
If you refer to people TREATING each other equally, and the idea of true equality manifesting itself in peoples' behavior, - i.e, no more discrimination or racism...

Then no. People will always be be prejudiced and discriminate. It's just human nature.