Jump to topic:

Communism Bad, Libertarianism Good

Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 10:36:45 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think communists are stupid. Their view of human nature is wrong. Their view of economics is wrong. Their view of social issues is wrong. That is because I say so. That is because communists are bad people, also. They are bad people because they are not open minded. They are bad people because they hate women and black people and gay people and special people, also. Being a communist is the same as being a cannibal, because they agree on at least one thing. Therefore a communist and a cannibal think all the same things. Communists are bad people because they are bad people. They are wrong because they are wrong. We do not need to talk about their ideas because they are bad people. Do not listen to their ideas. Accept my ideas instead, and do not think too hard. Libertarianism is good. It is good because it is right. Libertarians are good because they are smart and good. They are smart because they are right about the economy. They are also right about human nature. They are right about everything. There is no need to debate this or think about it. If you disagree, you are bad. You are not good like a libertarian. You are a communist.

Conclusion:

I think this is the beginning of a masterpiece. I need a few thousand more words and a thesaurus, but all the ideas are there. I realize that my economic and socio-political analysis is flawless so no need to comment on that, but perhaps you could suggest some words I should use so that people who can't read well will think I'm smart.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:24:27 PM
I suggest mentalite and liberte, but with the fancy e at the end.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Reasoning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 11:45:16 PM
I think Charles makes two errors, which is an incredibly low number.

The first is that he considers the libertarian's free market to be similar to the present day United States but more so. That is, the United States but without the social programs and aid to the poor. Because of this he think that a libertarian free market would lead to increasing social stratification.

The second error is that he thinks that people today act badly because they are too egoistic and being egoistic is a bad thing. The truth of course is to the contrary, we are in such a sorry state because the exploited aren't being egoistic enough.
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 12:46:38 AM
At 5/27/2011 11:45:16 PM, Reasoning wrote:
I think Charles makes two errors, which is an incredibly low number.

The first is that he considers the libertarian's free market to be similar to the present day United States but more so. That is, the United States but without the social programs and aid to the poor. Because of this he think that a libertarian free market would lead to increasing social stratification.

The second error is that he thinks that people today act badly because they are too egoistic and being egoistic is a bad thing. The truth of course is to the contrary, we are in such a sorry state because the exploited aren't being egoistic enough.

Well, at least you, dear Reasoning, have something analytical and non-ad hominem to say. That is, I don't agree with your points, but at least you have the maturity and mentality to make actual points. Thank you for that.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 12:49:58 AM
It's funny how people know exactly what Charles' posts are like without actually reading them.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 1:13:04 AM
At 5/28/2011 12:57:28 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 5/28/2011 12:49:58 AM, FREEDO wrote:
It's funny how people know exactly what Charles' posts are like without actually reading them.

I read AND reply. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Then props.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 1:37:31 AM
At 5/27/2011 10:36:45 PM, Grape wrote:
I think communists are stupid. Their view of human nature is wrong. Their view of economics is wrong. Their view of social issues is wrong. That is because I say so. That is because communists are bad people, also. They are bad people because they are not open minded. They are bad people because they hate women and black people and gay people and special people, also. Being a communist is the same as being a cannibal, because they agree on at least one thing. Therefore a communist and a cannibal think all the same things. Communists are bad people because they are bad people. They are wrong because they are wrong. We do not need to talk about their ideas because they are bad people. Do not listen to their ideas. Accept my ideas instead, and do not think too hard. Libertarianism is good. It is good because it is right. Libertarians are good because they are smart and good. They are smart because they are right about the economy. They are also right about human nature. They are right about everything. There is no need to debate this or think about it. If you disagree, you are bad. You are not good like a libertarian. You are a communist.

Conclusion:

I think this is the beginning of a masterpiece. I need a few thousand more words and a thesaurus, but all the ideas are there. I realize that my economic and socio-political analysis is flawless so no need to comment on that, but perhaps you could suggest some words I should use so that people who can't read well will think I'm smart.

Firstly, if this is a masterpiece it's a masterpiece of reductio ad absurdum. The tricky thing about reductio ad absurdum, though, is that sometimes the absurdity can end up being more on the person engaging in it than his target. And no, I didn't have to look up the term reductio ad absurdum in a thesaurus, my vocabularically-challenged friend. Some of us love words, and etymology, and the creative use of language, and even the beauty of the written word (especially the beauty of Hebrew script). Myself, I don't collect coins or stamps, I collect words, words that possess the virtues of being interesting and being able to communicate ideas. And do remember that the ad hominem observations you make can sometimes be quite revealing about yourself, about your own shortcomings, resentments, and psychology.

That being the case, back to your uninspired and mocking reductio ad absurdum. The Tarzan-like "Communism bad, Libertarianism good" theme ironically betrays your own simplemindedness, i.e. methinks you're projecting a wee bit. You know what the psychologically astute say, those things we often find ourselves drawn to zeroing in on as failings in others are really our own failings either being reflected back to us, or read into others. To wit, the simplism, dogmatism, and arrogant authoritativeness that you and your fellow "libertarians" are wont to read into me certainly resides in your own mentalities.

Well then, instead of externalizing your own negativities and insecurities ( for example: "but perhaps you could suggest some words I should use so that people who can't read well will think I'm smart", boy oh boy if that doesn't speak to your own intellectual insecurity more than my alleged intellectual conceitedness!) in a post meant to ridiculingly parody me, I suggest that you set aside some quiet time for some honest self-examination. Gnothi seauton, and all that (a very apropos saying regarding yourself, since an ancient encyclopedia says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are").

And by the way, "libertarianism" is a gross misnomer when applied to right-libertarianism, as it would not result in the liberation of human beings if its ideas were ever implemented – rather, it would merely make it possible for aggressive uber capitalists to establish their dominance even more so than they've been able to do under our current insufficiently-pure-to-satisfy-libertarians system of capitalism. It's communism that would prove itself to be a true form of libertarianism, by liberating working people from the dominance, exploitation, and alienation imposed upon them by their capitalist hegemons (opps, there I go with them there fancy words again, my apologies).
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 8:33:44 AM
Clearly, whenever you mock charles for ANYTHING, you only do it because you are insecure are are expressing your true mentalité. Duh.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:25:25 AM
At 5/28/2011 1:37:31 AM, charleslb wrote:

Firstly, if this is a masterpiece it's a masterpiece of reductio ad absurdum.

Translation: I understand the point of this. I wonder if the original author did?

The tricky thing about reductio ad absurdum, though, is that sometimes the absurdity can end up being more on the person engaging in it than his target.

Translation: no u.

And no, I didn't have to look up the term reductio ad absurdum in a thesaurus, my vocabularically-challenged friend. Some of us love words, and etymology, and the creative use of language, and even the beauty of the written word (especially the beauty of Hebrew script). Myself, I don't collect coins or stamps, I collect words, words that possess the virtues of being interesting and being able to communicate ideas.

Translation: I think that vocabulary and writing ability are determined by how ostentatious (look at me lololol) your everyday use of language is. You must always use a $20 word where a $2 word will suffice. Otherwise, you are illiterate. Knowing lots of words makes me smart.

And do remember that the ad hominem observations you make can sometimes be quite revealing about yourself, about your own shortcomings, resentments, and psychology.

Translation: No u. Also, I don't know what an ad hominem really is. I wonder if a personal characterization isn't considered an ad hominem if the person's traits (in this case writing ability) are the actual subject of discussion, only when it's used to rebut his reasoning. Oh well, I'll keep using it anyway because Latin is smarter than English.

That being the case, back to your uninspired and mocking reductio ad absurdum. The Tarzan-like

Translation: I wonder if the title was simple on purpose?

"Communism bad, Libertarianism good" theme ironically betrays your own simplemindedness, i.e. methinks you're projecting a wee bit. You know what the psychologically astute say, those things we often find ourselves drawn to zeroing in on as failings in others are really our own failings either being reflected back to us, or read into others. To wit, the simplism, dogmatism, and arrogant authoritativeness that you and your fellow "libertarians" are wont to read into me certainly resides in your own mentalities.

Translation: No u. When I got a bad grade on a math test, I always made sure to let my teacher know that she was projecting her own inability to do math on to me. As a result of the magic of projection, no one can accurately assess anything. Trolololol!

Well then, instead of externalizing your own negativities and insecurities ( for example: "but perhaps you could suggest some words I should use so that people who can't read well will think I'm smart", boy oh boy if that doesn't speak to your own intellectual insecurity more than my alleged intellectual conceitedness!)

Translation: You make fun of me for using big words that don't add substance to my writing. Therefore, you feel bad about not being able to do that too! Trolololol!

in a post meant to ridiculingly parody me,

Translation: I am Sherlock Holmes, world's greatest detective.

I suggest that you set aside some quiet time for some honest self-examination. Gnothi seauton, and all that (a very apropos saying regarding yourself, since an ancient encyclopedia says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are").

Translation: The meaning of the word 'apropos' is totally indistinct from the more commonly used 'appropriate' in this context, but I'll use it anyway because it adds to the quality of my writing and makes my thoughts deeper. If anyone criticizes me for this gross abuse of language, it is merely a projection of intellectual weakness.

And by the way, "libertarianism" is a gross misnomer when applied to right-libertarianism, as it would not result in the liberation of human beings if its ideas were ever implemented – rather, it would merely make it possible for aggressive uber capitalists to establish their dominance even more so than they've been able to do under our current insufficiently-pure-to-satisfy-libertarians system of capitalism.

Translation: Let me tell you what your own ideology is because you are too simpleminded to understand it. If you do not use at least five syllables per word and fifty words per sentence, you are actually so stupid that I can read your thoughts and tell you what you believe. I won't bother actually understanding anything because that is below me.

It's communism that would prove itself to be a true form of libertarianism, by liberating working people from the dominance, exploitation, and alienation imposed upon them by their capitalist hegemons (opps, there I go with them there fancy words again, my apologies).

Translation: Now I will use a word when it's actually appropriate to do so in order to create the impression that I've been doing this the entire time. I will also misspell 'oops' for good measure to show that I am just like the intellectual lower class so they won't be alienated by my brilliance.
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 12:10:28 PM
wall of text
http://www.ourcivilisation.com...
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:17:02 PM
At 5/28/2011 12:10:28 PM, LaissezFaire wrote:
wall of text
http://www.ourcivilisation.com...

George Orwell is clearly just projecting his own insecurities. He's jealous because he can't not write unawesomely not unlike Charles.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:30:57 PM

Conclusion:

Is this revleft or charleslb
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
LaissezFaire
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 5:32:38 PM
At 5/28/2011 5:30:57 PM, askbob wrote:

Conclusion:

Charleslb.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 6:15:21 PM

Conclusion:

Both
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:24:33 AM
At 5/28/2011 6:15:21 PM, Korashk wrote:

Conclusion:

Both

Lol! Every nattering nabob of negativism laying into me on this page is, can you guess, a teenage libertarian/right-anarchist, with the exception of askbob, who's a 22-year-old libertarian. And some of you think it's lame of me to dismiss my critics as adolescently intolerant libertarians!
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:37:14 AM
At 5/29/2011 12:24:33 AM, charleslb wrote:
Lol! Every nattering nabob of negativism laying into me on this page is, can you guess, a teenage libertarian/right-anarchist, with the exception of askbob, who's a 22-year-old libertarian. And some of you think it's lame of me to dismiss my critics as adolescently intolerant libertarians!

Don't make this idealogy based charles. It has to do with how you express yourself that people find funny.

People are laughing at you because you can't articulate your feelings into a straightforward thought. You prattle on constantly before actually getting to the point. This post that I'm quoting being a rare exception to the rule. I actually read it. Don't think that you're so important that everyone has the time to go through your ramblings to actual determine what it is you're saying. Quantity =/= Value.

Also, the fact that you blame libertarians for virtually all of your faults is also amusing and probably why you're being laughed at.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:49:44 AM
At 5/29/2011 12:24:33 AM, charleslb wrote:

This has nothing to do with ideology, it has to do with the pretentiousness of your self expression. Stretching to 16,000 characters what most people can say in a few sentences is not a characteristic of good writing. If you were a libertarian, I would still harass and criticize you. In fact, I'd probably try even harder to get you to leave the site. The effect of your preachments is generally to turn people off of your ideas and make them less open to what you have to say. Libertarians don't need people to think we're a bunch of self-important buffoons.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:26:11 AM

Conclusion:

Firstly, if this is a masterpiece it's a masterpiece of reductio ad absurdum. The tricky thing about reductio ad absurdum, though, is that sometimes the absurdity can end up being more on the person engaging in it than his target. And no, I didn't have to look up the term reductio ad absurdum in a thesaurus, my vocabularically-challenged friend. Some of us love words, and etymology, and the creative use of language, and even the beauty of the written word (especially the beauty of Hebrew script). Myself, I don't collect coins or stamps, I collect words, words that possess the virtues of being interesting and being able to communicate ideas. And do remember that the ad hominem observations you make can sometimes be quite revealing about yourself, about your own shortcomings, resentments, and psychology.

That being the case, back to your uninspired and mocking reductio ad absurdum. The Tarzan-like "Communism bad, Libertarianism good" theme ironically betrays your own simplemindedness, i.e. methinks you're projecting a wee bit. You know what the psychologically astute say, those things we often find ourselves drawn to zeroing in on as failings in others are really our own failings either being reflected back to us, or read into others. To wit, the simplism, dogmatism, and arrogant authoritativeness that you and your fellow "libertarians" are wont to read into me certainly resides in your own mentalities.

Well then, instead of externalizing your own negativities and insecurities ( for example: "but perhaps you could suggest some words I should use so that people who can't read well will think I'm smart", boy oh boy if that doesn't speak to your own intellectual insecurity more than my alleged intellectual conceitedness!) in a post meant to ridiculingly parody me, I suggest that you set aside some quiet time for some honest self-examination. Gnothi seauton, and all that (a very apropos saying regarding yourself, since an ancient encyclopedia says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are").

And by the way, "libertarianism" is a gross misnomer when applied to right-libertarianism, as it would not result in the liberation of human beings if its ideas were ever implemented – rather, it would merely make it possible for aggressive uber capitalists to establish their dominance even more so than they've been able to do under our current insufficiently-pure-to-satisfy-libertarians system of capitalism. It's communism that would prove itself to be a true form of libertarianism, by liberating working people from the dominance, exploitation, and alienation imposed upon them by their capitalist hegemons (opps, there I go with them there fancy words again, my apologies).:

*fap* *fap* *fap* *fap* *fap*
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:36:44 AM
Lol! Every nattering nabob of negativism laying into me on this page is, can you guess, a teenage libertarian/right-anarchist, with the exception of askbob, who's a 22-year-old libertarian. And some of you think it's lame of me to dismiss my critics as adolescently intolerant libertarians!:

What did you honestly expect when you condescend to everyone? You come off as an attention whore and a pretentious dickwad who simply regurgitates nonsense from the Communist Manifesto.

Maybe you should do more to change that perception or at least not act incredulous when that's how you portray yourself.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:51:29 AM
In charles' defense: as excessively verbose as he appears, think about all the respect afforded to convloluted f*ckwits like Kant, Zizek, or... God forbid... Ranciere... by the philosophical community, then tell me about how bad charles' posts are.

In fact, download and read Ranciere's "Ethical Turn of Aesthetics and Politics", which I read for my Bioethics/Biopolitics class last semester [http://www.mediafire.com...]. It'll be fun. :|
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:57:30 AM
At 5/29/2011 9:51:29 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
In charles' defense: as excessively verbose as he appears, think about all the respect afforded to convloluted f*ckwits like Kant, Zizek, or... God forbid... Ranciere... by the philosophical community, then tell me about how bad charles' posts are.

In fact, download and read Ranciere's "Ethical Turn of Aesthetics and Politics", which I read for my Bioethics/Biopolitics class last semester [http://www.mediafire.com...]. It'll be fun. :|

That's why I prefer textbooks to original texts. I haven't read a single word of Kant, but I know a large amount of what his thought contributed to contemporary philosophy.

I tend to steer clear of continental philosophy in any case.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 9:59:59 AM
At 5/29/2011 9:57:30 AM, Kinesis wrote:

That's why I prefer textbooks to original texts. I haven't read a single word of Kant, but I know a large amount of what his thought contributed to contemporary philosophy.

READ RANCIERE, DAMNIT. FEEL MY PAIN.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 10:13:40 AM
At 5/29/2011 9:59:59 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

READ RANCIERE, DAMNIT. FEEL MY PAIN.

Bwahahahaha no.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:17:05 PM

hear hear!
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:25:05 PM
I just can't wait until Charles has to take classes with professors who value their time as they have to read many student's papers. Most professors will check to see if it's too long immediately and not even bother to read it if it is.
kfc
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/29/2011 12:47:48 PM
At 5/29/2011 12:25:05 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I just can't wait until Charles has to take classes with professors who value their time as they have to read many student's papers. Most professors will check to see if it's too long immediately and not even bother to read it if it is.

dude charles is middle aged