Jump to topic:

European Union

wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 7:51:36 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
What are peoples opinions on the European Union?

(I find it interesting to gage public opinion on a subject barely anybody knows anything about, it shows how propaganda from either side can influence general opinion.)

What should the future of the EU be?
God is an Atheist. Faith is "belief in something that isn't based in fact". Since God knows everything he can't have faith, and because he already is the highest power he doesn't believe in a higher power. Atheist right there.

Last time I checked Logic and Reason weren't the causes of thousands of years of brutal warfare, discrimination, genocide, injustices and torture...
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 8:37:16 AM
At 5/31/2011 7:51:36 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

(I find it interesting to gage public opinion on a subject barely anybody knows anything about, it shows how propaganda from either side can influence general opinion.)

What should the future of the EU be?

The EU is a cartel agreement to provide uniform prices and services for citizens and businesses. They're scared of crap like this: http://www.cato.org...
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 8:42:49 AM

What should the future of the EU be?:

I don't like a super-government that artificially controls aspects of society. To all the nations in Europe who have remained sovereign, good for you.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 9:28:07 AM
At 5/31/2011 8:42:49 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

I don't like a super-government that artificially controls aspects of society. To all the nations in Europe who have remained sovereign, good for you.

Remained sovereign like the Republic of Texas within the USA, right?
God is an Atheist. Faith is "belief in something that isn't based in fact". Since God knows everything he can't have faith, and because he already is the highest power he doesn't believe in a higher power. Atheist right there.

Last time I checked Logic and Reason weren't the causes of thousands of years of brutal warfare, discrimination, genocide, injustices and torture...
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 9:44:26 AM
At 5/31/2011 9:28:07 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

So does that mean Europe has American aspirations?
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 9:53:22 AM
At 5/31/2011 9:44:26 AM, innomen wrote:

Europe has European aspirations. We work together, as a strong solid group to achieve what we all concur on, we work apart, but in respect to the others, on issues we don't agree on.

Fabian_CH
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:06:29 AM
At 5/31/2011 9:53:22 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

Europe has European aspirations. We work together, as a strong solid group to achieve what we all concur on, we work apart, but in respect to the others, on issues we don't agree on.

If only you'd let us alone...
"What are we doing? Do we want to feed a starved humanity in order to let it live? Or do we want to strangle its life in order to feed it?"
- Andrei Taganov, We The Living (Ayn Rand)
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:15:26 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:06:29 AM, Fabian_CH wrote:

If only you'd let us alone...

You being Switzerland?
The EU comprises 60.9% of your exports and 78.8% of your imports. You don't have the strongest growing economy as it is, without the EU to trade with you'd seriously struggle.

"After more than 4 years of negotiations, an agreement known as the "Bilaterals I" covering seven sectors (research, public procurement, technical barriers to trade, agriculture, civil aviation, land transport, and the free movement of persons) entered into force on June 1, 2002. Switzerland has so far attempted to mitigate possible adverse effects of non-membership by conforming many of its regulations, standards, and practices to EU directives and norms." (http://www.state.gov...)

Switzerland has changed to keep in line with the EU. So copying the EU is hardly the EU interfering, it is you realising the advantages and adapting.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:15:55 AM

Huh. And here I was, thinking it was more like Germany giving a bunch of money to failures.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:28:24 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:15:55 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Huh. And here I was, thinking it was more like Germany giving a bunch of money to failures.

1) The Euro is different to the EU.
2) Institutions within the European Union warned places like Greece and Ireland to not bend financial regulations and not borrow heavily, but their 'sovereign' arrogance went against advice and then when it went wrong they asked for bailouts. They took the benefits of a new currency and ignored the cautions that come with it. Places like Slovenia have soared under the Euro. If member states had left their arrogance behind and agreed that a single currency needs a single enforcing institution then it could have been kept under control.
3) No different to New York, Cali and Texas bailing out Oklahoma, Oregon and Ohio (Random states picked out) with social security when people lost their jobs.

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:32:44 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:28:24 AM, wolfhaines wrote:
At 5/31/2011 10:15:55 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

1) The Euro is different to the EU.
2) Institutions within the European Union warned places like Greece and Ireland to not bend financial regulations and not borrow heavily, but their 'sovereign' arrogance went against advice and then when it went wrong they asked for bailouts. They took the benefits of a new currency and ignored the cautions that come with it. Places like Slovenia have soared under the Euro. If member states had left their arrogance behind and agreed that a single currency needs a single enforcing institution then it could have been kept under control.
3) No different to New York, Cali and Texas bailing out Oklahoma, Oregon and Ohio (Random states picked out) with social security when people lost their jobs.

You don't really have what they call the "sense of humor" do you?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:41:05 AM
He's saying he's smarter than entire countries, which were apparently so arrogant that they overlooked his clairvoyant economic insights.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:41:24 AM

Remained sovereign like the Republic of Texas within the USA, right?:

Actually, funny you mention it. I'm directly related to the former President of the Republic of Texas.... but I can't be blamed for that long before I was born.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:42:59 AM

If only you'd let us alone...:

I second that emotion and am all for Swiss sovereignty.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:45:47 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:42:59 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

If only you'd let us alone...:

I second that emotion and am all for Swiss sovereignty.

Switzerland is not part of, has never been part of and has never thought of being part of the EU. It does, however, rely on the EU.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:46:33 AM
You being Switzerland?
The EU comprises 60.9% of your exports and 78.8% of your imports. You don't have the strongest growing economy as it is, without the EU to trade with you'd seriously struggle.:

And to think, Switzerland has survived thousands of years without the EU...

Sure, all those nations need to trade with one another, but why must they all assimilate in to one conglomerate, especially when they don't agree on so many policies?

Switzerland has changed to keep in line with the EU. So copying the EU is hardly the EU interfering, it is you realising the advantages and adapting.:

Most Swiss want their independence. A few statist operating in their government does not represent the will of the people, Tory.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:48:02 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:41:05 AM, Sieben wrote:
He's saying he's smarter than entire countries, which were apparently so arrogant that they overlooked his clairvoyant economic insights.

'He' being the EU and not me I presume. Otherwise you are in dire need of education.
The EU is comprised of all the heads of the countries that comprise it, thus being an accumulative knowledge, and so, yes, smarter than one individual country.

PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:48:49 AM
Switzerland is not part of, has never been part of and has never thought of being part of the EU. It does, however, rely on the EU.:

They rely on its neighbors for trade. The EU is simply a statist invention, and an unnecessary one.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:50:02 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:48:49 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Switzerland is not part of, has never been part of and has never thought of being part of the EU. It does, however, rely on the EU.:

They rely on its neighbors for trade. The EU is simply a statist invention, and an unnecessary one.

Most inventions are unnecessary. The computer you are typing on right now is unnecessary.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:53:30 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:46:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You being Switzerland?
The EU comprises 60.9% of your exports and 78.8% of your imports. You don't have the strongest growing economy as it is, without the EU to trade with you'd seriously struggle.:

Sure, all those nations need to trade with one another, but why must they all assimilate in to one conglomerate, especially when they don't agree on so many policies?

Switzerland has changed to keep in line with the EU. So copying the EU is hardly the EU interfering, it is you realising the advantages and adapting.:

Most Swiss want their independence. A few statist operating in their government does not represent the will of the people, Tory.

Actually Switzerland is only couple years old, and has always relied on it's neighbours for trade. The Swiss economy is formed on the backbone of trade. Now, the EU has successfully bought all regulations and food standards in line with each other. Which means that now I can buy meat from Sweden or Spain and not fear the quality and hygiene. THAT is why Switzerland brought itself in line with the EU. Not because of outside pressure. Swiss independence has never been in question. You keep posting comments as if the EU is trying to invade. EU membership is voluntary.

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:54:07 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:48:02 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

'He' being the EU and not me I presume. Otherwise you are in dire need of education.
The EU is comprised of all the heads of the countries that comprise it, thus being an accumulative knowledge, and so, yes, smarter than one individual country.

No. You. You need to learn how to read, particularly your own writing. You wrote: "but their 'sovereign' arrogance went against advice and then when it went wrong they asked for bailouts. They took the benefits of a new currency and ignored the cautions that come with it." Which is your own personal assessment that these countries were blinded by their tremendous egos, unable to see a reality that is apparently clear as day to you. That's kind of a dumb theory isn't it?

wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:54:20 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:53:30 AM, wolfhaines wrote:
At 5/31/2011 10:46:33 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
You being Switzerland?

Actually Switzerland is only couple years old, and has always relied on it's neighbours for trade. The Swiss economy is formed on the backbone of trade. Now, the EU has successfully bought all regulations and food standards in line with each other. Which means that now I can buy meat from Sweden or Spain and not fear the quality and hygiene. THAT is why Switzerland brought itself in line with the EU. Not because of outside pressure. Swiss independence has never been in question. You keep posting comments as if the EU is trying to invade. EU membership is voluntary.

Couple hundred* haha fail

Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:54:41 AM

Wait, people that run countries are smarter than everyone else? Because that's what you have to assume for your "sum of the country heads' intelligence > sum of the intelligence of the countries they rule" theory to be true. I don't even know how you measure the intelligence of a piece of land, though.
wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:57:05 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:54:07 AM, Sieben wrote:

No. You. You need to learn how to read, particularly your own writing. You wrote: "but their 'sovereign' arrogance went against advice and then when it went wrong they asked for bailouts. They took the benefits of a new currency and ignored the cautions that come with it." Which is your own personal assessment that these countries were blinded by their tremendous egos, unable to see a reality that is apparently clear as day to you. That's kind of a dumb theory isn't it?

And my opinion is the same as that of the EU, so your viewpoint doesn't stick. If I was to come out and say "The problem was the growth of carrots", then you'd be right. But I didn't, I repeated what EU institutions said the these governments during and after the crash. That EU obviously being more intelligent than the nations that never paid attention and needed bailouts.

Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 10:59:56 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:57:05 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

And my opinion is the same as that of the EU, so your viewpoint doesn't stick. If I was to come out and say "The problem was the growth of carrots", then you'd be right. But I didn't, I repeated what EU institutions said the these governments during and after the crash. That EU obviously being more intelligent than the nations that never paid attention and needed bailouts.

Even if you're repeating what the EU says, you're still saying you're smart enough to have evaluated their prognosis and verified it to be true, while at the same time claiming entire countries are too dumb to have done the same thing.

The "countries are stupid" theory is... highly implausible.

wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 11:00:41 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:54:41 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:

Wait, people that run countries are smarter than everyone else? Because that's what you have to assume for your "sum of the country heads' intelligence > sum of the intelligence of the countries they rule" theory to be true. I don't even know how you measure the intelligence of a piece of land, though.

Having 27 heads of state, all independently advised, coming together to solve problems is better than one person. To suggest otherwise is absurd. In fact, going on your viewpoint a dictatorship is acceptable, as one person/head of state/leader can know more than a parliament/collective.

wolfhaines
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/31/2011 11:03:31 AM
At 5/31/2011 10:59:56 AM, Sieben wrote:
At 5/31/2011 10:57:05 AM, wolfhaines wrote:

Even if you're repeating what the EU says, you're still saying you're smart enough to have evaluated their prognosis and verified it to be true, while at the same time claiming entire countries are too dumb to have done the same thing.

The "countries are stupid" theory is... highly implausible.

Their actions speak louder than words. They were proved wrong. You are making no sense, we know what happened within the EU before and after the crash, it isn't like we are making predictions, we have hindsight. The EU was proven to be right, those individual countries like Greece and Ireland were proven wrong. To keep going over this point when you clearly know the same thing is a waste of time.