Jump to topic:

political debate tips?

mauricio2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 8:09:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Look i am 15 years old and i love politics! but i still have lots to learn. i have only had two debates on this website and i have lost both.I want to be smart about my next debate and i need some tips on how to win my next debate. any tips?
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 8:27:41 PM
At 6/2/2011 8:09:23 PM, mauricio2 wrote:
Look i am 15 years old and i love politics! but i still have lots to learn. i have only had two debates on this website and i have lost both.I want to be smart about my next debate and i need some tips on how to win my next debate. any tips?

PROTIP
KNOW - YOUR - STUFF. The more you know about the subject the better you can argue against it. Read the counter-arguments and the counter-counter arguments and the counter-counter-counter arguments. Someone smarter than you has already argued the same position, learn from them.
We have many, many great political debates on this site. Read them.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 9:55:47 PM

You say you still have a lot to learn... That's a good attitude to have, as it will cause you to want to continue learning. Also, it's more important to continue to recognize that you have lots to learn than it is to demonstrate that you have already learned. People pride themselves in winning debate battles, but lose the war in this sense.
kfc
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/2/2011 10:21:25 PM

Read the best debaters:
Danielle, RoyLatham, Grape, Cirrk, Maikuru and Bluesteel are some of the best in my book.

Also, learning about information is good, but its also good to learn basic debate tactics. In the debate "My Mom is a turd", you could have just just used the literal definition and one easily.

Learning logic is also important. I'd suggest at least learning your logical fallacies, or reading book on logic.

Learning logical fallacies are very important because you can catch yourself making them. Competent debaters will call you out on them. Also, you can also catch others making them.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...