Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Practicality of your political position

PoeJoe
Posts: 3,822
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 11:21:28 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Mostly I'm talking to AnCaps here, but also I'm talking to other people who hold extreme political positions. (Don't fuss over the use of the word "extreme." By "extreme," I'm comparing the position to what's generally accepted by society.) My question is simple: on practical terms, how does holding your particular political position influence your life?

Let me demonstrate what I mean.

I'm a liberal. As such, I try to look at the world with a greater sense of immediate empathy, and politically, I'm much more likely to vote for Democrats. My liberalism may very well be misguided--but that's not within the scope of this thread. What I want to discuss is the practicality of my political position: there are very specific ways my political position influences how I see the world, and more importantly, my liberalism causes me to act, in practical ways, to change the world in my small part and to participate in the general political discussion.

Let's say you're an AnCap. My question is, what are you going to do about the fact that we're not going to ever have an AnCap society? Mind you, I'm not arguing that AnCap is wrong. Right now, all I want to discuss is how your political position affects your life in a practical way.

I mean, certainly you aren't going to be part of a militia trying to forcefully government... or are you?
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 11:37:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
As a libertarian I see the world based on the principle of the non-aggression principle and economics.

The non-aggression principle states that its wrong to use coercion, force, or fraud. Life is based on voluntary transactions. It is wrong for a government to create arbitrary regulations or ban certain substances based on arbitrary 'safety standards'.

I also see things in terms of the law of unintended consequences. Laws that on the surface tend to have good intentions, can have disastrous results. Milton Friedman stated "'There is nothing that does more harm then good intentions"

I also views large government as evil since it cannot provide goods and services efficiently since it fails in the economic calculation problem. It also holds a monopoly on these services, thus destroying competition.

I also see if the government creates certain regulations, it makes things more inefficient.

I'm not anarcho-capitalism however. I believe in limited government, not no government.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 11:44:51 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Unless you go around personally robbing other people to help those in need, your liberalism has nothing to do with the practical ways you act in your everyday life.

As for how being an anarchist influences my everyday life, I do go around following the non-aggression principal, not stealing or attacking other people, but I suppose I'd probably do that anyway. I see news stories differently than most people do--I'd read 'Predator drone strike kills 10 civilians in Afghanistan' as 'Obama murders 10 more innocent people--one more thing to charge him with at his war crimes trial.' I also get in a lot more arguments than I would if I had a less "extreme" position.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
LaissezFaire
Posts: 2,050
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 11:45:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/5/2011 11:44:51 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:
Unless you go around personally robbing other people to help those in need, your liberalism has nothing to do with the practical ways you act in your everyday life.

That is, the part about empathy and helping others.
Should we subsidize education?
http://www.debate.org...

http://mises.org...

http://lewrockwell.com...

http://antiwar.com...

: At 6/22/2011 6:57:23 PM, el-badgero wrote:
: i didn't like [Obama]. he was the only black dude in moneygall yet he claimed to be home. obvious liar is obvious liar. i bet him and bin laden are bumfvcking right now.
Sieben
Posts: 2,736
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 11:52:49 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't take the government's word at face value, therefore I make more money in the stock market than the average joe.
Things that are so interesting:

http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...
Merda
Posts: 322
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 2:29:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Basically what LF said. I mostly just follow the non-aggression principle and I see political issues differently than most people. That's probably the answer you'll get from most AnCaps.
My manwich!
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 2:37:52 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/5/2011 11:21:28 AM, PoeJoe wrote:
Mostly I'm talking to AnCaps here, but also I'm talking to other people who hold extreme political positions. (Don't fuss over the use of the word "extreme." By "extreme," I'm comparing the position to what's generally accepted by society.)
You're comparing it to nothing at all?

Not that I'm upset :P.

My question is simple: on practical terms, how does holding your particular political position influence your life?
Joining the military to acquire skills useful in a private invasion of Burma-like countries or other routes to minarchy ^_^.

I'm a liberal. As such, I try to look at the world with a greater sense of immediate empathy, and politically, I'm much more likely to vote for Democrats.
That's basically zilch.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 7:15:02 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/5/2011 11:44:51 AM, LaissezFaire wrote:

As for how being an anarchist influences my everyday life, I do go around following the non-aggression principal, not stealing or attacking other people, but I suppose I'd probably do that anyway. I see news stories differently than most people do--I'd read 'Predator drone strike kills 10 civilians in Afghanistan' as 'Obama murders 10 more innocent people--one more thing to charge him with at his war crimes trial.' I also get in a lot more arguments than I would if I had a less "extreme" position.

People will inevitably die in war. Whether it is jut or unjust is a different story.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Reasoning
Posts: 4,456
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 8:04:55 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/5/2011 7:15:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
People will inevitably die in war. Whether it is jut or unjust is a different story.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...
"What we really ought to ask the liberal, before we even begin addressing his agenda, is this: In what kind of society would he be a conservative?" - Joseph Sobran
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2011 12:27:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/5/2011 8:04:55 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 6/5/2011 7:15:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
People will inevitably die in war. Whether it is just or unjust is a different story.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

So do you believe that war is ever justified?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Greyparrot
Posts: 14,291
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2011 12:36:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/6/2011 12:27:27 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/5/2011 8:04:55 PM, Reasoning wrote:
At 6/5/2011 7:15:02 PM, darkkermit wrote:
People will inevitably die in war. Whether it is just or unjust is a different story.

http://www.lewrockwell.com...

So do you believe that war is ever justified?

In order to believe in a justifiable war, you must first make the assumption that war is inevitable.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2011 12:58:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think people have a skewed understanding of what is practical. They tend to think that if an idea is radical and principled then it's not practical. Little do they know that the founding fathers had a radical and principled idea called freedom when they established this country.

My position is one that opposes global fascist dictatorship. To me, that sounds practical.

In fact, Libertarians (and other variations it) are the only practical ones because they're the only ones who oppose global fascist dictatorships in which the government controls multiple aspects of our lives, something highly impractical but happens and doesn't work out so well for the people.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat