Jump to topic:

Republican Debate!

Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 10:44:33 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There's a Republican Debate tonight at 8 eastern on CNN. I believe the people going are Romney, Pawlenty, Cain, Bachman, Paul, and Gingrich. I think Romney is the only one with a chance to beat Obama. Thoughts? Comments?
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:08:13 AM
At 6/13/2011 10:44:33 AM, Charles0103 wrote:
There's a Republican Debate tonight at 8 eastern on CNN. I believe the people going are Romney, Pawlenty, Cain, Bachman, Paul, and Gingrich. I think Romney is the only one with a chance to beat Obama. Thoughts? Comments?

So long as there is no 3rd party candidate to mess it up, he has a slight chance.

He can grab some moderates, while conservatives will bite their tounges and vote for him over Obama.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:17:16 AM

Obama is going to win in 2012, so it doesn't matter that Paul will win the debate tonight.
President of DDO
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:22:31 AM
At 6/13/2011 11:17:16 AM, Danielle wrote:

Obama is going to win in 2012, so it doesn't matter that Paul will win the debate tonight.

It matters if your frame of reference is "enjoyment based on who wins the debate". :P
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 11:32:09 AM

Ron Paul will win. Why does Romney have the only chance of beating Obama, Ron Paul can win over more moderates. If it was a 1 on 1 with Paul and Obama, the conservatives and most of the moderates would go over to Paul. Perhaps even some of the liberals. The

The problem lies with the Republican primaries..if Ron Paul doesn't get elected as the candidate to go against Obama, then Obama gets re-elected. That simple.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 12:19:43 PM
You forgot Rick Santorum, the guy who focuses on moral issues in the midst of economic crisis.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 12:22:52 PM

Obama's approval rating is abysmal. Not to mention, it has become taboo even amongst common people to say that you support Obama. People practically have to be embarrassed to say they are pro-Obama.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
lovelife
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 12:27:12 PM
At 6/13/2011 12:22:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

Obama's approval rating is abysmal. Not to mention, it has become taboo even amongst common people to say that you support Obama. People practically have to be embarrassed to say they are pro-Obama.

I've seen no proof of that. I mean once I get out of the military based houses, and away from racist rednecks (like my mom's friend who only calls obama "that n-word", sometimes calls him a towelhead.) get away from those ppl and its not a big deal. hell, I've even seen several redneck hicks that keep drowning me with pro-obama stuff. so, what??
Without Royal there is a hole inside of me, I have no choice but to leave
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 1:18:01 PM
Who knows, maybe Paul can take advantage of this extremely weak time for Republicans and actually take the nomination. It would be incredible if he did... Anyone on DDO who doesn't vote for Ron Paul should be chastized and banned for life.
kfc
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 3:58:20 PM
As the so called from-runner, Mitt Romney will face an onslaught from all the other candidates. To make matters worse, he actually has a terrible track record to pick on. Expect Romney to be on the defensive.

Ron Paul will own as usual and come away with a clear win.

Bachmann will probably say something stupid like Sarah Palin and get a bunch of negative attention for it.

Herman Cain will again be the Conservative favorite and perform well in the rhetoric department.

Santorum will ramble on about morals. He'll give a decent performance.

Gingrich. Sucks. Will do badly.

Pawlenty. Boring.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:00:38 PM
I swear CNN are going to ask some retarded questions tonight.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:02:53 PM
At 6/13/2011 12:22:52 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

If Abysmal means 47.8 - 46.5, then I guess so.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com...
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:10:01 PM
Ron Paul wont get the nomination. And Danielle, Obama is not a shoe-in to win. It all depends on the electoral college and the swing states. You can bet all states that went for Mccain will go for X candidate over Obama. Florida can go Republican this time, especially if Rubio is put on the ticket, but it isnt necessary. NC wont go for Obama again, seeing their horrible job stats. Ohio, the most important state will go Republican because of the economy and Obama's below average polling rate in that state.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:10:28 PM
At 6/13/2011 3:58:57 PM, Brainmaster wrote:
romney

GTFO.

Not even the Romney supporters can possibly believe that he'd win.

Ron Paul will slaughter him like he did in 2008. Just look up on Youtube "Ron Paul Slams Romney, McCain"
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:18:33 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:00:38 PM, rarugged wrote:

If Fox News can ask some great questions as they did in May, I suspect CNN can manage to ask some decent questions as well. Though, last debate, Chris Wallace was the moderator, he's a pretty smart guy and a tough interviewer, just look at him stump Herman Cain.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:26:12 PM
At 6/13/2011 1:18:01 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
Who knows, maybe Paul can take advantage of this extremely weak time for Republicans and actually take the nomination. It would be incredible if he did... Anyone on DDO who doesn't vote for Ron Paul should be chastized and banned for life.

Um, yeah...no. Paul's analysis of foreign policy is awful and based on flawed assumptions about international relations.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:27:15 PM
There's really no 'winning' a Presidential 'debate'. It's really more like a group interview with the Presidential candidates. There are no rebuttals, and no logic. Just rhetoric. Not to mention the results are rigged anyways. What it really comes down to is whose in the center of the stage :p.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:42:32 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:26:12 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Um, yeah...no. Paul's analysis of foreign policy is awful and based on flawed assumptions about international relations.

Alright, let's suppose I accept your hypothetical thesis that foreign policy intervention is 'beneficial'. Don't you think that America intervenes much more then the other developed nations, who can afford to intervene as well? In other words, shouldn't the burden of international security fall on all developed nations, rather than just the United States.
Open borders debate:
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:49:32 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:42:32 PM, darkkermit wrote:

Alright, let's suppose I accept your hypothetical thesis that foreign policy intervention is 'beneficial'. Don't you think that America intervenes much more then the other developed nations, who can afford to intervene as well? In other words, shouldn't the burden of international security fall on all developed nations, rather than just the United States.

Yes and no. Theoretically yes - all developed nations have an obligation of intervention as long as its negative impacts dont outweigh. Empirically no - it would be at the disadvantage of the US if say China intervenes, because China and the US (especially in Middle Eastern Policy) have two different goals.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:52:53 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:49:32 PM, CiRrK wrote:

Yes and no. Theoretically yes - all developed nations have an obligation of intervention as long as its negative impacts dont outweigh. Empirically no - it would be at the disadvantage of the US if say China intervenes, because China and the US (especially in Middle Eastern Policy) have two different goals.

I wouldn't consider China a developed nation. I'm referring to Western Europe, Japan, Canada, and Australia.
Open borders debate:
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:55:58 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:27:15 PM, darkkermit wrote:
There's really no 'winning' a Presidential 'debate'.

There is a declared winner based on votes for who they thought won. Didn't you watch the last debate?

It's really more like a group interview with the Presidential candidates. There are no rebuttals, and no logic.

Yes, there's rebuttals, but why would there be logic? It's politics. There's reason involved, but you can't sit there and pull a Lane Craig with a syllogism proving that we need to end the Fed and eliminate all wars.

Just rhetoric.

Yes, an essential part of debate. There's nothing wrong with rhetoric.

Not to mention the results are rigged anyways. What it really comes down to is whose in the center of the stage :p.

Well, that may be true as seen with the staged and rehearsed Cain fans at the last Fox debate.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CiRrK
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 4:56:37 PM
At 6/13/2011 4:52:53 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/13/2011 4:49:32 PM, CiRrK wrote:

I wouldn't consider China a developed nation. I'm referring to Western Europe, Japan, Canada, and Australia.

Then yes. They do have an obligation.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 6:36:01 PM

Not compared to Fox hosted debates. At least some of the ones I've seen in 2008. Granted, I'm talking about their behavior toward Ron Paul, but... "You're the odd one out of the Republican party and you've pretty much got everything working against you - are you really electable?" that was just ridiculous.

But I guess they've all got their different biases...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 6:44:55 PM
At 6/13/2011 6:36:01 PM, jat93 wrote:

Not compared to Fox hosted debates. At least some of the ones I've seen in 2008. Granted, I'm talking about their behavior toward Ron Paul, but... "You're the odd one out of the Republican party and you've pretty much got everything working against you - are you really electable?" that was just ridiculous.

But I guess they've all got their different biases...

Fox didn't do that to Ron Paul this time. Though, Chris Wallace really did hit Ron Paul with a real whammy of a tough question. But it was a valid one.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 7:15:21 PM
I like how being the "the defender of liberty and the champion of the Constitution" doesn't do anything for voters.
If we don't vote him into office we, as a country, really don't deserve liberty.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 7:16:49 PM
At 6/13/2011 7:15:21 PM, lewis20 wrote:
I like how being the "the defender of liberty and the champion of the Constitution" doesn't do anything for voters.
If we don't vote him into office we, as a country, really don't deserve liberty.

"Liberty" is just a buzz word that politicians use.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/13/2011 7:22:23 PM
Mitt got that one right, he can do his healthcare because it's their right as a state.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler