Jump to topic:

Gay Marriage & the Slippery Slope

seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:04:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I was doing some thinking on the slippery slope argument against gay marriage and here's what I came up with.

What makes polygamous marriage/bestiality/pedophilia wrong? Whatever it is,there's your answer why it won't be next. So right now they have to demonstrate that gay marriage is wrong.

The most likely response I that can foresee is "Gay marriage is wrong because they can't reproduce". Yet post-menopausal women and seniors can't reproduce. Does that mean we should ban them from marrying?

I was also thinking of doing something about interracial marriage, but I think this one is slightly stronger.

Thoughts?
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:32:35 AM
At 6/17/2011 9:04:35 AM, seraine wrote:
I was doing some thinking on the slippery slope argument against gay marriage and here's what I came up with.

What makes polygamous marriage/bestiality/pedophilia wrong? Whatever it is,there's your answer why it won't be next. So right now they have to demonstrate that gay marriage is wrong.

The most likely response I that can foresee is "Gay marriage is wrong because they can't reproduce". Yet post-menopausal women and seniors can't reproduce. Does that mean we should ban them from marrying?

I was also thinking of doing something about interracial marriage, but I think this one is slightly stronger.

Thoughts?

No one has to prove it's wrong. There's a passage in the Bible about it so our predominantly Christian society is going to continue to dig in their heels on the issue.
kfc
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:37:45 AM
At 6/17/2011 9:04:35 AM, seraine wrote:

Thoughts?

Ask contradiction about the reproduction argument. He has fashioned a very well written yet completely bullsh1t response.
My manwich!
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/17/2011 9:54:09 AM
As a religions argument goes, it's a non-issue. You could have a religion called the Holy Flaming Ghosts and have heterosexual marriages condemned.

As a social and civic institution, politicians are not jumping at the chance to potentially reduce heterosexual marriages by granting equal status. I personally believe they worry not enough future taxpayers will be procreated. That was the whole reason for supporting heterosexual marriages, right? But then again they support abortion on demand, so I can't figure it out on a civic level.