Total Posts:24|Showing Posts:1-24
Jump to topic:

Jon Stewart Slayed Fox's Chris Wallace

Hambone
Posts: 18
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 8:26:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did anyone else catch Jon Stewart just SLAY Chris Wallace on Sunday morning on Fox? These guys don't seem to realize that even though he's a comedian, he's still someone who is dangerous to them. He's popular and while they want to goad him and make him out to be a political player (he refutes this), they had better thank their lucky stars he DOESN'T have any political aspirations. http://www.washingtonpost.com...
Hot and Dangerous
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:01:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.

John Stewart: "I deride the mainstream media because their sensationalism. You deride them because of their partisanism. I just disagree with that."
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:05:19 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 10:55:52 PM, FREEDO wrote:
The media has a pro-establishment stance, whether left or right.

I agree, but they are far more emotional in their pro-establishment stance when the left are in power. It's no mystery though. The field of journalism attracts substantially more liberals than conservatives.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...
kfc
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:08:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.

He didn't think it was as bad as Fox's though.
I have to say msnbc is equal and opposite to fox in everything thy do.
Where Fox has Hannity and Orielly, msnbc has Maddow and Uygur.
I think which ever side you agree with you tend to find the other side more biased.
Though I think it's pretty easy to see both sides are equally and terribly biased.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:11:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...

fo sho dude. elections are coming.
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:16:47 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:08:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.

He didn't think it was as bad as Fox's though.
I have to say msnbc is equal and opposite to fox in everything thy do.
Where Fox has Hannity and Orielly, msnbc has Maddow and Uygur.
I think which ever side you agree with you tend to find the other side more biased.
Though I think it's pretty easy to see both sides are equally and terribly biased.

I know Fox has a biased to the right, but I think they are slowly moving toward a younger libertarian slant. That said, I think Fox doesn't have nearly the effect the mainstream media has on voters. Even if they are more extreme in their bias (which I think they are slightly) they don't have near the influence and reach as all the leftist media combine. Their slogan should be "Unfair in an attempt to maintain some balance."

MSNBC, on the other hand, clowns on Fox in a contest of bias. On top of that, there is no need for an extreme left-wing news channel. Again, the left already have the mainstream media doing a fantastic job for them.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:28:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:11:03 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...

fo sho dude. elections are coming.

I was just thinking that you were probably getting some election fever and decided to drop in. A few notes for your benefit, in case you weren't aware:
- the site isn't really about left vs. right anymore. Liberals and conservatives are almost considered one ideology, when compared to the predominant amount of libertarians and anarchist capitalists that now dominate the site. There are a few anarchists that aren't capitalists, but not many.
- thelwerd is now "Danielle"
- You just missed our DDO election in which Innomen won the Presidency.

Happy debating.
kfc
HandsOff
Posts: 504
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:35:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:28:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:11:03 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...

fo sho dude. elections are coming.

I was just thinking that you were probably getting some election fever and decided to drop in. A few notes for your benefit, in case you weren't aware:
- the site isn't really about left vs. right anymore. Liberals and conservatives are almost considered one ideology, when compared to the predominant amount of libertarians and anarchist capitalists that now dominate the site. There are a few anarchists that aren't capitalists, but not many.
- thelwerd is now "Danielle"
- You just missed our DDO election in which Innomen won the Presidency.

Happy debating.

thanks for the update. wow! i noticed that most here were libertarian. how the hell did that come about? how much fun can you all have clowning on the Obama and Palin supporters when none of them are here to argue with you?
Thaddeus
Posts: 6,985
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 4:20:27 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:35:37 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:28:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:11:03 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...

fo sho dude. elections are coming.

I was just thinking that you were probably getting some election fever and decided to drop in. A few notes for your benefit, in case you weren't aware:
- the site isn't really about left vs. right anymore. Liberals and conservatives are almost considered one ideology, when compared to the predominant amount of libertarians and anarchist capitalists that now dominate the site. There are a few anarchists that aren't capitalists, but not many.
- thelwerd is now "Danielle"
- You just missed our DDO election in which Innomen won the Presidency.

Happy debating.


thanks for the update. wow! i noticed that most here were libertarian. how the hell did that come about? how much fun can you all have clowning on the Obama and Palin supporters when none of them are here to argue with you?

There are enough. They just aren't the old hats. I disagree that it terms of numbers anarcho-capitalism is dominant, we are just more vocal and coherent. For example Sieben's volume (not the amount he posts, but the strength of his posts) is worth ten of most people.
Rob1_Billion
Posts: 1,300
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 12:59:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:35:37 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:28:11 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:11:03 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:06:37 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
HOLY SH1T HandsOff I just made a post to the effect that you were an old user who didn't survive into the forums era, and you pop up instantly out of the blue, an hour ago. You here to stay? We are a few years behind in our economic debating you know! You were my very first DDO "friend" on my original account...

fo sho dude. elections are coming.

I was just thinking that you were probably getting some election fever and decided to drop in. A few notes for your benefit, in case you weren't aware:
- the site isn't really about left vs. right anymore. Liberals and conservatives are almost considered one ideology, when compared to the predominant amount of libertarians and anarchist capitalists that now dominate the site. There are a few anarchists that aren't capitalists, but not many.
- thelwerd is now "Danielle"
- You just missed our DDO election in which Innomen won the Presidency.

Happy debating.


thanks for the update. wow! i noticed that most here were libertarian. how the hell did that come about? how much fun can you all have clowning on the Obama and Palin supporters when none of them are here to argue with you?

Well Sarah Palin is just a joke that doesn't even warrant debate, and Obama is attacked occasionally without defense while we all gear up to hope Ron Paul replaces him (very few people don't support Paul on here). The ancaps cause quite a stir around here, since they want to disband all government and let the market take care of everything. This causes arguments about whether we can truly privatize things like police and military, public resources, edumacation, etc. Generally, however, the ancaps and libertarians stick together as the center of the ideological spectrum and fend off from all angles. There are small numbers of communists/ancoms, liberals and conservatives, socialists, anarchist syndicalists (notably Reasoning and Danielle), and others who constantly call into question the role of the free market to manage everything.
kfc
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 1:10:03 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I didn't see the video, but I like Chris Wallace, he's a cool guy and he knows his stuff. He was a much better debate moderator than CNNs John King.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
dobby
Posts: 43
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 4:01:58 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/20/2011 11:08:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.

He didn't think it was as bad as Fox's though.
I have to say msnbc is equal and opposite to fox in everything thy do.
Where Fox has Hannity and Orielly, msnbc has Maddow and Uygur.
I think which ever side you agree with you tend to find the other side more biased.
Though I think it's pretty easy to see both sides are equally and terribly biased.

so? one side is right and one side is wrong. it doesnt matter if something is biased, even if it is the media. so long as it is biased in the right side.
lewis20
Posts: 5,093
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 8:18:41 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 4:01:58 PM, dobby wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:08:11 PM, lewis20 wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:46:34 PM, darkkermit wrote:
At 6/20/2011 10:27:33 PM, HandsOff wrote:
Yes he wasted him. But where does he get off thinking the main stream media is not left of center? I consider myself pretty objective. I hate republicans just as much as democrats. There is an obvious love for the left in the press and in Hollywood. I've lost a little respect for the guy.

He actually agreed in the interview that the media has a left-bias.

He didn't think it was as bad as Fox's though.
I have to say msnbc is equal and opposite to fox in everything thy do.
Where Fox has Hannity and Orielly, msnbc has Maddow and Uygur.
I think which ever side you agree with you tend to find the other side more biased.
Though I think it's pretty easy to see both sides are equally and terribly biased.

so? one side is right and one side is wrong. it doesnt matter if something is biased, even if it is the media. so long as it is biased in the right side.

? Both side's are wrong.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 8:26:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 1:10:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I didn't see the video, but I like Chris Wallace, he's a cool guy and he knows his stuff. He was a much better debate moderator than CNNs John King.

I wanted to punch King in the face for grunting like an animal three seconds into each candidates' answer.

uhuhuhuhuh
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 8:24:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/21/2011 8:26:44 PM, Nags wrote:
At 6/21/2011 1:10:03 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I didn't see the video, but I like Chris Wallace, he's a cool guy and he knows his stuff. He was a much better debate moderator than CNNs John King.

I wanted to punch King in the face for grunting like an animal three seconds into each candidates' answer.

uhuhuhuhuh

i mean you realize it was because every time their 30 seconds were up he would try to find a good time to cut them off but they'd just keep on talking, so even though the 30 second limit was absolutely ridiculous, he was just trying to make sure that everything could be done on time, and the candidates were not making that easy for him. but it was certainly extremely annoying.
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 3:38:52 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Stewart is a very smart guy and a great comedian. He well-serves his audience of stoned slackers. However, his claim that the media is just sensationalist and not biased cannot be supported by facts. For example, on the major networks the numbers of negative stories about McCain greatly outnumbered the number of negative stories on Obama. Protestors with signs saying "Kill Bush" were not covered, while Tea Party rallies were scoured to find anything that could be remotely claimed to be improper. Violence against the Tea Partiers was rarely covered. Sarah Palin's flubs were player up as a sure sign of idiocy, while Biden's endless gaffes were ignored or just dismissed as amusing.

If sensationalism were the objective, "Kill Bush," violence against the Tea Party rallies, Biden gaffes, and Reverend Wright would have been featured on the major networks from and center. Didn't happen.

I think Stewart was honest in saying he wants to be a comedian first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a political player. He does.

Fox has two shows hosted by Libertarians: Napolitano's Freedom Watch and Stossel.
darkkermit
Posts: 11,204
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 7:29:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 3:38:52 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Stewart is a very smart guy and a great comedian. He well-serves his audience of stoned slackers. However, his claim that the media is just sensationalist and not biased cannot be supported by facts. For example, on the major networks the numbers of negative stories about McCain greatly outnumbered the number of negative stories on Obama. Protestors with signs saying "Kill Bush" were not covered, while Tea Party rallies were scoured to find anything that could be remotely claimed to be improper. Violence against the Tea Partiers was rarely covered. Sarah Palin's flubs were player up as a sure sign of idiocy, while Biden's endless gaffes were ignored or just dismissed as amusing.

If sensationalism were the objective, "Kill Bush," violence against the Tea Party rallies, Biden gaffes, and Reverend Wright would have been featured on the major networks from and center. Didn't happen.

I think Stewart was honest in saying he wants to be a comedian first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a political player. He does.

Fox has two shows hosted by Libertarians: Napolitano's Freedom Watch and Stossel.

Still, Chris Wallace made a positive claim. He had the burden of proof, and didn't substantially prove that claim, even if he was right. Jon Stewart obviously won the 'debater'.

Yea, I'm a huge fan of Stossel, and I enjoy Freedom Watch as well.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
unitedandy
Posts: 1,173
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/26/2011 6:35:35 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 6/26/2011 3:38:52 AM, RoyLatham wrote:
Stewart is a very smart guy and a great comedian. He well-serves his audience of stoned slackers. However, his claim that the media is just sensationalist and not biased cannot be supported by facts. For example, on the major networks the numbers of negative stories about McCain greatly outnumbered the number of negative stories on Obama. Protestors with signs saying "Kill Bush" were not covered, while Tea Party rallies were scoured to find anything that could be remotely claimed to be improper. Violence against the Tea Partiers was rarely covered. Sarah Palin's flubs were player up as a sure sign of idiocy, while Biden's endless gaffes were ignored or just dismissed as amusing.

If sensationalism were the objective, "Kill Bush," violence against the Tea Party rallies, Biden gaffes, and Reverend Wright would have been featured on the major networks from and center. Didn't happen.

I think Stewart was honest in saying he wants to be a comedian first, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be a political player. He does.

Fox has two shows hosted by Libertarians: Napolitano's Freedom Watch and Stossel.

There's not as blatant, organised and constant bias on the admittedly liberal channels, was Stewart's point, but either way, Fox is pretty off the charts when it comes to bias. Hannity, Palin, Huckabee, Glenn Beck, John Stossel, Bill o'reilly, Judge Napolitano, Cavuto, all to the right, and most of them are republican hacks, while on the left, I don't know of a single presenter who has a t.v. slot to balance it out. When Bill O' reilly is the most fair-minded person who delivers commentary, y'know it just ain't fair or balanced.

Some of the things on Fox, whether it's Hannity saying that Obama passed a law to allow hospital staff to go around hospitals and kill babies, or Glenn Beck's conspiracy junk every night was particularly bad, and they clearly do have an agenda to promote which filters down even to Fox and Friends in the morning. That all being said, the other side aren't exactly welcoming of alternative viewpoints themselves.