Jump to topic:

Both Parties Believe in a Nanny State

HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 10:52:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think I've found the commonality between republicans and democrats. Both think the government should help protect us from ourselves. The republicans think the fed ought protect us from our desires to indulge in self-damaging or depraved behavior. The democrats think the fed should protect us from our own laziness and incompetence. I couldn't quite put my finger on this similarity until now.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:12:09 PM
Regulating the monetary supply via open market policies and controlling inflation is hardly a nanny state.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:18:27 PM
actually i think the better way to make the point is with the democrats and social programs vs the republicans and "moral majority" positions such as banning abortion or gay marriage.

i dunno about a nanny state, but i remember reading someone who made the point (its been so long i can't remember who made it, i just know i didn't come up with it myself :P) that both the right and the left want to control other people, its just the domain(s) in which they wish to exercise that control are different. liberals want to control the economic aspects of life and conservatives want to control the social aspects. i think calling the republicans advocates of a "nanny state" is a misuse of the term though. its more like a stern moral authority.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:22:15 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:12:09 PM, askbob wrote:
Regulating the monetary supply via open market policies and controlling inflation is hardly a nanny state.

agreed. but telling us what we can and can't do in the privacy of our own homes is.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:23:00 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:18:27 PM, belle wrote:
actually i think the better way to make the point is with the democrats and social programs vs the republicans and "moral majority" positions such as banning abortion or gay marriage.

Now that is a good and accurate point.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:23:33 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:22:15 PM, HandsOff wrote:

agreed. but telling us what we can and can't do in the privacy of our own homes is.

examples of the Federal reserve dictating what you do in your own homes?
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:24:22 PM
ahh crap i'm sorry handsoff, i misread what you were saying.

You meant Fed as in Federal Government. I'm always used to associating "the fed" with he federal reserve. My bad bro.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:25:11 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:23:33 PM, askbob wrote:
At 6/20/2011 11:22:15 PM, HandsOff wrote:

examples of the Federal reserve dictating what you do in your own homes?

My guess is by Fed he meant Federal government.
You know the not private Fed hah
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:25:22 PM
At 6/20/2011 11:18:27 PM, belle wrote:

i dunno about a nanny state, but i remember reading someone who made the point (its been so long i can't remember who made it, i just know i didn't come up with it myself :P) that both the right and the left want to control other people, its just the domain(s) in which they wish to exercise that control are different. liberals want to control the economic aspects of life and conservatives want to control the social aspects. i think calling the republicans advocates of a "nanny state" is a misuse of the term though. its more like a stern moral authority.

i use "nanny" to mean protector. the republicans believe they are protecting us from our own behavior, just as a nanny would if we were children. btw, i remember that discussion too.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/20/2011 11:25:42 PM
I completely agree with you now having realized you meant federal government which is why the libertarians are the demons of both parties and why ron paul is marginalized by the media.