Jump to topic:

How do YOU spread the word?

HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 9:50:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I'd like to hear what most or some of your libertarians are doing to share your libertarian perspective with your friends, family, acquaintances and other prospective voters? This site is great, but I don't think preaching to the choir is going to help get libertarian law makers elected.
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 10:58:01 AM
I'm going to start sharing easy-to-digest links on fb starting today-- at least a few per week. The election will come quickly. fb is the best way to reach the most people-- at least those who know you well enough to consider what you have to say.
Merda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 11:12:49 AM
I don't really try to reach people. I just bring up the topic a lot with family and friends. Conversations on politics somehow don't get as heated as conversations on religion. Meh.
My manwich!
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 11:48:12 AM
I'm not exactly a libertarian, but I share much of the ideals and support Ron Paul so I'm sure it's close enough for this exercise. I, as merda attested, do not waste much time spreading the good word. Why? Well, first off, people aren't that receptive to political rhetoric. Most people either have their minds made up already, one way or the other, or else they just don't have the intellectual willpower to give a sh*t at all.

There seems to be a balance... the more they care enough to know, the more deeply-set their beliefs are going to be. If you say "abortions should be illegal" to somebody, then they aren't going to think "well maybe he's right," they are going to think "that's for/against my beliefs!" "How can I defend against that argument?" "What rhetoric can I come up with right now?" The only people who WON'T say that are those who have no intention of caring.

By going on FB and posting those links, like you said, you are only going to start alienating yourself from the people who you disagree with. The liberals or conservatives who you offend are going to argue with you, rebut your points (whether it's to your intellectual satisfaction or not), or else just train themselves to ignore your predictable political bullsh*t. MAYBE you'll get through to one person. If that's your accomplishment to be proud of then go... But there are three hundred million of them left to go and the rest won't be so easy.

Pessimism is easy, I guess, and I really should be inputting my own helpful ideas instead of just dogging on yours I guess, but I find politics very depressing and polarizing. I choose instead, nowadays, to focus on morality. Morality is the basis for people's decisions and isn't necessarily polarizing, but admittedly I have not made any better progress with this approach than the political one DX
kfc
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:08:18 PM
At 6/22/2011 11:48:12 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
I'm not exactly a libertarian, but I share much of the ideals and support Ron Paul so I'm sure it's close enough for this exercise. I, as merda attested, do not waste much time spreading the good word. Why? Well, first off, people aren't that receptive to political rhetoric. Most people either have their minds made up already, one way or the other, or else they just don't have the intellectual willpower to give a sh*t at all.

There seems to be a balance... the more they care enough to know, the more deeply-set their beliefs are going to be. If you say "abortions should be illegal" to somebody, then they aren't going to think "well maybe he's right," they are going to think "that's for/against my beliefs!" "How can I defend against that argument?" "What rhetoric can I come up with right now?" The only people who WON'T say that are those who have no intention of caring.

By going on FB and posting those links, like you said, you are only going to start alienating yourself from the people who you disagree with. The liberals or conservatives who you offend are going to argue with you, rebut your points (whether it's to your intellectual satisfaction or not), or else just train themselves to ignore your predictable political bullsh*t. MAYBE you'll get through to one person. If that's your accomplishment to be proud of then go... But there are three hundred million of them left to go and the rest won't be so easy.

Pessimism is easy, I guess, and I really should be inputting my own helpful ideas instead of just dogging on yours I guess, but I find politics very depressing and polarizing. I choose instead, nowadays, to focus on morality. Morality is the basis for people's decisions and isn't necessarily polarizing, but admittedly I have not made any better progress with this approach than the political one DX

I may have agreed with you years ago, but I've seen way too many people elected or become extremely popular due to individuals sharing on the internet.
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:11:10 PM
I'm certain of one thing-- if you are hoping for major change, your time is being wasted debating technicalities of your philosophy with other libertarians.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2011 12:43:21 PM
At 6/22/2011 12:11:10 PM, HandsOff wrote:

I may have agreed with you years ago, but I've seen way too many people elected or become extremely popular due to individuals sharing on the internet.

Well it's possible, but what are you sharing? Most people aren't going to dive into an in-depth political or economic analysis of some sort just because you display the link in your news feed. I do this type of thing but only with stuff that's eye candy and provocative... like cops being abusive or something.

I'm certain of one thing-- if you are hoping for major change, your time is being wasted debating technicalities of your philosophy with other libertarians.

Perhaps, but people come here for the exercise. Not for nothing, HandsOff, but the average age of the DDO'er is somewhere around 20, I'd imagine... I'm not so sure about trying to convince them that they should give up on trying to flesh out their beliefs. People who start out young with one idea and then never subject it to scrutiny are the type who cause us the most trouble. To a 43 y.o. guy it's quite different! But who knows... maybe I'll yet convert you to a leftist...
kfc
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 9:38:11 AM
At 6/22/2011 12:43:21 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 6/22/2011 12:11:10 PM, HandsOff wrote:

Well it's possible, but what are you sharing? Most people aren't going to dive into an in-depth political or economic analysis of some sort just because you display the link in your news feed. I do this type of thing but only with stuff that's eye candy and provocative... like cops being abusive or something.

Perhaps, but people come here for the exercise. Not for nothing, HandsOff, but the average age of the DDO'er is somewhere around 20, I'd imagine... I'm not so sure about trying to convince them that they should give up on trying to flesh out their beliefs. People who start out young with one idea and then never subject it to scrutiny are the type who cause us the most trouble. To a 43 y.o. guy it's quite different! But who knows... maybe I'll yet convert you to a leftist...

What about us 43 year olds????
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2011 3:18:57 PM
Funny... I went on facebook, to a fellow classmate of mine's page, where he posted a link to a story about Obama pulling out the troops and said "not fast enough." I started wailing away, typing about how we can elect Ron Paul, use market-based incentives instead of the failure of an EPA, kill the war on drugs, etc. I just went back on his page to get a retort (I guess I'm too used to DDO practices) and he simply deleted our entire conversation. I would put this guy in the top 95th percentile, at least, as far as being open-minded and intelligent, and he's also a very nice guy as well (he's also in my master's program with me).

There's a reason we stick to DDO, and that's because no one else will put up with our rhetoric. If we go swinging away on facebook or in RL, we're just going to alienate people. It's sad... VERY sad, but true nonetheless. Sorry HandsOff. Welcome to the brokenhearts club.
kfc