Total Posts:2|Showing Posts:1-2
Jump to topic:

Will There Ever Be a Viable Third Party?

Hambone
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2011 5:05:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In the Federalist Papers (No. 10), it talks about how in order to maintain the most liberty while having the most effective government, it behooves the people to multiply the factions that could divide the country. Infinite multiplication of these factions weakens each of them and forces them to weigh each other out. We still have these factions (they're special interest groups, e.g. pro-choice/pro-life movements, gun rights, gay rights etc.), but they're all condensed into one of two parties.

Will there ever be a viable candidate who could ever topple either of these parties? What qualities would they have to possess?

I think it's possible for a Libertarian to make it through and make a run for Prez. They're staunchly conservative on economic issues, inviting Republicans (who may be willing to ditch social issues if the economy gets worse), and also lax on social issues, which is the strength of the Democratic Party.

Also, I think people are really fed up with both parties now. They're still sore at the GOP for the economy from the Bush Era, and growing more sore at the lackluster Obama Aministration. Could be the prime opportunity for a Ron Paul-esque (although, not him necessarily, he's worn out his welcome in the public perception) candidate to really make significant gains.
Hot and Dangerous
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2011 11:46:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think part of the problem is how it is all set up, and he media and the powers that be ignore third parties. Ross Perot had a chance. Teddy Roosevelt in 1912 did well but it helped that he as a former president. I am no fan of Teddy but Wilson was one of the worst presidents. As for parties, George Washington and several others of his time were opposed to parties. I think that it is best to vote on a person based on their ideas and not because they are the "lesser of two evils".
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike