Jump to topic:

What makes Americ so different?

darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:11:37 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, it's quite interesting how America leans a lot more to the conservative side then any other nation around. Examples:

-Only developed nation that still uses the death penalty
-Only developed nation that does not have universal healthcare
-Only nation that does not plan on signing the Kyoto Protocols.
-Highest income gap in a developed nation

I don't complain, but its interesting to see that we don't tend to really conform to the trend.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:20:38 AM
We also have several different sub-languages, probably more than most. We have standard english, formal english, gangster english, texting english, fancy-restaurant english, and country/hillbilly english. Foreigners can learn every english word perfectly, come to America, and still have no idea what people are talking about.

"Wassup, dawg?"

"What? I no see no dog"

Kind of like that.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:20:42 AM
You forgot
-By far the highest amount of prisoners of any country, let alone developed ones.
-Largest military expenditure of any country, let alone developed ones.
-Highest rate of violent crime for a developed country.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:39:18 AM
At 7/7/2011 3:20:42 AM, FREEDO wrote:
You forgot
-By far the highest amount of prisoners of any country, let alone developed ones.
-Largest military expenditure of any country, let alone developed ones.
-Highest rate of violent crime for a developed country.

I agree with you on the 3rd one. The second one, we have the largest military expenditure but we also have a large nation with a high GDP, so our military expenditure is likely to be expensive anyways. In terms of spending on percentage of GDP we aren't the highest. Still high, but not the highest.

Also prisoner detainees is kind of an interesting issue since some nations have different laws then others. If we decriminalized drugs, our prison population would likely be cut in half
Open borders debate:
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:07:27 AM
Also, Americans drive on the wrong side of the road.

And spread mayonnaise on bread instead of butter.

And drink tea without milk - sometimes even cold with ice.

And hold their forks upside down and sometimes in the wrong hand.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:14:07 AM
At 7/7/2011 3:20:38 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
We also have several different sub-languages, probably more than most. We have standard english, formal english, gangster english, texting english, fancy-restaurant english, and country/hillbilly english. Foreigners can learn every english word perfectly, come to America, and still have no idea what people are talking about.

"Wassup, dawg?"

"What? I no see no dog"

Kind of like that.

Same in all countries.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:04:37 PM
At 7/7/2011 3:20:38 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

"Wassup, dawg?"

"What? I no see no dog"

Kind of like that.

Those are called dialects and accents, and in fact China has more dialects than we do, although I get the feeling you are joking.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:06:05 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:07:27 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

also, we refuse to use the metric system.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:06:43 PM
Our history of Classical Liberalism brings us up to be more "conservative," with the addition to all of the religious reform that has permeated through policy.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:11:26 PM
At 7/7/2011 12:06:05 PM, BennyW wrote:

also, we refuse to use the metric system.

Which is your one redeeming grace.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:36:10 PM
Different literature (a cast of poets, Whitman, Dickinson, Cummings, and so on)
Also,
Americans are often rude and self-centered,
Their education is flawed [teaching to the test is one such flaw]
Creativity diminished in colleges and universities,
Incredibly ignorance of olden cultures,
Dialets [including slang, which is pretty ridiculous--at least to me]

Note: The list above is a joke. Don't take it too seriously.
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 12:46:25 PM
At 7/7/2011 12:36:10 PM, Man-is-good wrote:
Different literature (a cast of poets, Whitman, Dickinson, Cummings, and so on)
Also,
Americans are often rude and self-centered,
Their education is flawed [teaching to the test is one such flaw]
Creativity diminished in colleges and universities,
Incredibly ignorance of olden cultures,
Dialets [including slang, which is pretty ridiculous--at least to me]

Note: The list above is a joke. Don't take it too seriously.

It better be, or else we will http://i56.tinypic.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:11:09 PM

Not true.

Huh?
Sieben
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:14:00 PM

Milk's pH is too high to allow flavanoids from tea to be properly ingested. Citrus fruits (limes) or honey are superior choices because of their lower pH.

Among other reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Things that are so interesting:

innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:14:17 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:11:09 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:

Not true.

Huh?

I was trying to figure out that last one too.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:39:15 PM
At 7/7/2011 3:11:37 AM, darkkermit wrote:
So, it's quite interesting how America leans a lot more to the conservative side then any other nation around. Examples:

I don't complain, but its interesting to see that we don't tend to really conform to the trend.

Yeah, as a right-libertarian of course you don't complain about any of the above. More's the pity!

Why is America more conservative than other developed, Western nations? Well, there are various reasons. There's the catastrophic success of the conservative movement whose figurehead was, and whose patron saint today continues to be, Ronald Reagan. I.e the "Reagan Revolution" was a dreadful detour onto the morally and spiritually benighted historical path that has made the U.S. such a right-leaning country today. Mm-hmm, much of the blame must go to the Gipper.

Then of course there's the greater dominance of the capitalist elite and ethos in American society. Conservatism is largely the ideology that's promoted by the capitalist establishment because it affirms and rationalizes the power structure and ethos of capitalism. That conservatism is thus supported by the economically powerful capitalist establishment certainly goes a long way to explaining why it alas is the formidable force in American politics that it is.

Also, I would assert that the popularity of the conservative point of view in our society speaks to the existence of a primitive streak in the national mentality, having to do with the U.S. being a relatively young and sociopolitically jejune culture.

Just some critical possibilities that I thought I'd toss out.
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
charleslb
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 2:48:54 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:07:59 PM, innomen wrote:
And yet people will risk their lives to get here, and tolerate living here illegally.

Because of the horrendously cruel and crushing poverty created in their countries-of-origin by the ruthless behavior and the globalization of the greed of the capitalist ruling class of the rich nations. (And, by the way, the same realities are bringing massive numbers of immigrants to other Western societies, it's a quite chauvinistic American myth that the U.S. is the only First World destination for Third Worlders fleeing the pauperization of their countries by our transnational corporate fat cats.)
Yo, all of my subliterate conservative criticasters who find perusing and processing the sesquipedalian verbiage of my posts to be such a bothersome brain-taxing chore, I have a new nickname for you. Henceforth you shall be known as Pooh Bears. No, not for the obvious apt reasons, i.e., not because you're full of pooh, and not because of your ursine irritability. Rather, you put me in mind of an A.A. Milne quote, "I am a Bear of Very Little Brain, and long words bother me". Love ya, Pooh Bears.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:24:47 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:39:15 PM, charleslb wrote:

Yeah, as a right-libertarian of course you don't complain about any of the above. More's the pity!

Why is America more conservative than other developed, Western nations? Well, there are various reasons. There's the catastrophic success of the conservative movement whose figurehead was, and whose patron saint today continues to be, Ronald Reagan. I.e the "Reagan Revolution" was a dreadful detour onto the morally and spiritually benighted historical path that has made the U.S. such a right-leaning country today. Mm-hmm, much of the blame must go to the Gipper.

You say all of this without a single reason as to why conservatism is something to be feared. You instead assume that your audience will agree with you. Therefore, when reading what you say, those who already agree with you will continue to agree with you, and those who do not will not. In effect, it accomplishes nothing.

Then of course there's the greater dominance of the capitalist elite and ethos in American society. Conservatism is largely the ideology that's promoted by the capitalist establishment because it affirms and rationalizes the power structure and ethos of capitalism. That conservatism is thus supported by the economically powerful capitalist establishment certainly goes a long way to explaining why it alas is the formidable force in American politics that it is.

Wall Street actually made more campaign contributions to Obama than to McCain. Or is Obama just secretly a conservative?

Also, I would assert that the popularity of the conservative point of view in our society speaks to the existence of a primitive streak in the national mentality, having to do with the U.S. being a relatively young and sociopolitically jejune culture.

The US inherited much of its culture from Britain and other European countries, and started off much more liberal (in the classical, not corrupted sense) than their European counterparts.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 3:46:53 PM
At 7/7/2011 2:48:54 PM, charleslb wrote:
And yet people will risk their lives to get here, and tolerate living here illegally.

Because of the horrendously cruel and crushing poverty created in their countries-of-origin by the ruthless behavior and the globalization of the greed of the capitalist ruling class of the rich nations. (And, by the way, the same realities are bringing massive numbers of immigrants to other Western societies, it's a quite chauvinistic American myth that the U.S. is the only First World destination for Third Worlders fleeing the pauperization of their countries by our transnational corporate fat cats.)

Strange though, most are leaving leftist havens. And um...wasn't the US once a colony under cruel the ruling class nation like the others? Head scratcher that, no? The US didn't end up like Mexico?
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:09:02 PM
At 7/7/2011 3:46:53 PM, innomen wrote:

Strange though, most are leaving leftist havens. And um...wasn't the US once a colony under cruel the ruling class nation like the others? Head scratcher that, no? The US didn't end up like Mexico?

Reply: Yes, American colonies were under the cruel tyranny of another nation. Then we broke free from the the tyranny, only to replace it with our own.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:12:16 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:09:02 PM, Tiel wrote:

Reply: Yes, American colonies were under the cruel tyranny of another nation. Then we broke free from the the tyranny, only to replace it with our own.

Unlike the other colonies that broke free and became more cruel and more tyrannical with 'their own' states.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:21:58 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:12:16 PM, innomen wrote:

Unlike the other colonies that broke free and became more cruel and more tyrannical with 'their own' states.

Question: Could you elaborate on your statement?
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:33:20 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:21:58 PM, Tiel wrote:

Let's look at some of those countries to the south of us, all broke away in some format from their evil dominating mother country, and yet their replacing gov'ts were and are horrifyingly corrupt and dictatorial, all steeped in the worst poverty. I'd rather live in this state of "tyranny" than any one of those down there.

Most people that bemoan this country have had such limited experience in other countries. They think we live in a horribly repressive state of tyranny, but haven't actually experienced what that really is. Trust me, if you had a choice to be born in any state in the US versus any country to the south of us, you would choose the US.
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 4:46:13 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:33:20 PM, innomen wrote:

Let's look at some of those countries to the south of us, all broke away in some format from their evil dominating mother country, and yet their replacing gov'ts were and are horrifyingly corrupt and dictatorial, all steeped in the worst poverty. I'd rather live in this state of "tyranny" than any one of those down there.

Most people that bemoan this country have had such limited experience in other countries. They think we live in a horribly repressive state of tyranny, but haven't actually experienced what that really is. Trust me, if you had a choice to be born in any state in the US versus any country to the south of us, you would choose the US.

Reply: America is still very young. It has not proven itself to be sustainable. I do agree that it is one of the better nations to live in though.

Extension: I would like to know what countries in the south you are talking about.
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 5:02:32 PM
At 7/7/2011 4:46:13 PM, Tiel wrote:
At 7/7/2011 4:33:20 PM, innomen wrote:

Reply: America is still very young. It has not proven itself to be sustainable. I do agree that it is one of the better nations to live in though.

Extension: I would like to know what countries in the south you are talking about.

Although i have intimate knowledge of Nicaragua, i would contend that pretty much every country to the south of us is less free than we are, and live in worse conditions than we do. All of whom, like us were colonies of a European superpower.

Also, we are the oldest constitutional republic in the world, and my particular state has the oldest working constitution in the world.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 5:30:53 PM

Because of the horrendously cruel and crushing poverty created in their countries-of-origin by the ruthless behavior and the globalization of the greed of the capitalist ruling class of the rich nations.

Are you sure it's not their oppressive dictators, which happen to also be propped up by the United States?

(And, by the way, the same realities are bringing massive numbers of immigrants to other Western societies, it's a quite chauvinistic American myth that the U.S. is the only First World destination for Third Worlders fleeing the pauperization of their countries by our transnational corporate fat cats.)

I'm not aware of that myth. Although, people in Third World American countries are more likely to come to the United States by foot than Europe by boat or plane.
Charles0103
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/7/2011 7:58:13 PM

America is very different from the rest of the world. We're one of the youngest democratic governments, but we have one of the oldest constitutions.

What really sealed us as the greatest (or one of the greatest) countries in the world was that we chose the right sides in WWI and WWII.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason why we're so different. We just are.
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened." Jesus in Luke 11:9-10