Jump to topic:

Recall Election in Wisconsin today

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:36:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If any of you were following, we are having a recall election for some Democrats in Wisconsin to day who fled the state to oppose Governor Walker's extreme measures (regarding the unions) upon entering office. Stay tuned.
Rob
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 9:53:38 AM
At 7/19/2011 9:36:56 AM, Lasagna wrote:
If any of you were following, we are having a recall election for some Democrats in Wisconsin to day who fled the state to oppose Governor Walker's extreme measures (regarding the unions) upon entering office. Stay tuned.

And do you have an opinion? It generally makes it a little more interesting.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:05:46 AM
http://dailycaller.com...

It looks like the first seat up for recall is going to stay democratic.

It should also be noted that the recall is not just for Democrats.

In fact, of the 8 democrats that the republicans are trying to recall, they could only get 3 on the ballot. While of the 8 republicans that the democrats are trying to recall, 6 are on the ballot. Also, it is looking like Scott Walker will face a recall election himself.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 5:38:33 PM
I seem to have been under a false assumption about this recall election. I thought that when the Dems fled the state to oppose Walker, that he somehow succeeded in putting their seats up for recall.

Innomen: I support any measure to get these damned Republicans out of office.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 5:44:43 PM
At 7/19/2011 5:38:33 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I seem to have been under a false assumption about this recall election. I thought that when the Dems fled the state to oppose Walker, that he somehow succeeded in putting their seats up for recall.

Innomen: I support any measure to get these damned Republicans out of office.

Well he did, for 3 of them.

The people of Wisconsin have to sign petitions to start a recall. The republicans went out to get signatures to recall 8 of the senators that fled the state, they only got enough signatures for 3 of them (so those 3 are up for a recall election).

The democrats believe that Walker and his republican senators are shoving things down the people's throats that they don't want, so they tried to get signatures for 8 republican senators, they only got the signatures for 6 (and they'll likely get the governor to face a recall election, but that won't be until January).

So basically, there are going to be 9 open seats, with 3 Dem incumbents, and 6 Rep incumbents. For the Dems to get 50% of the state senate, they need to take 6 of those seats (win 3 and hold their 3, or some combo). I'm thinking they are going to come up 1 shy, and it will really come down to the January election (which Dems are already calling foul on).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 3:07:17 PM
This got totally dropped, but I'm going to bring it back.

The first recall attempt ended with the incumbent maintaining office. Dave Hansen (D) kept his seat with 66% of the vote (latest polls were showing him at 62% prior to the election).

The 6 republicans being recalled are all set for August 9th, while the last 2 democrats are set for August 16th. And Scott Walker does not have a date set yet.