Jump to topic:

What's Obama Done? (Nothing)

HisFlyness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 5:58:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I can't think of anything Obama's done that's been of much value. Not that I'm a Republican by any means, but how can Republicans call him the worst President ever when he's pretty much just continued Bush's policies? And how can Democrats support him when for the exact same reasons? I can't think of anything outside of the seemingly-meaningless health care debacle that he's accomplished.
"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." - Tolkein...or Babe Ruth. One of those guys.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 6:09:49 PM
At 7/19/2011 5:58:13 PM, HisFlyness wrote:
I can't think of anything Obama's done that's been of much value. Not that I'm a Republican by any means, but how can Republicans call him the worst President ever when he's pretty much just continued Bush's policies? And how can Democrats support him when for the exact same reasons? I can't think of anything outside of the seemingly-meaningless health care debacle that he's accomplished.

A list of things that got done under Obama.

Healthcare
GM Auto loan
America reinvestment and recovery act
Began reducing troops in Iraq (Afgan to follow)
Cash for Clunkers
Closed several offshore tax havens (not enough, imo)
No more no-bid defense contracts
Greatly upped fuel efficiency requirements for cars
Stem-cell funding
Improved policies with Cuba (not by enough, imo)

These are just some.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with or support these, but these are things that got done.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 6:17:24 PM
At 7/19/2011 6:09:49 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Healthcare
I thought most of that was yet to be implemented?

GM Auto loan
That's sending money, not getting something done.

Naming a bill would mean something if modern bills focused on something specific instead of being 10,000 pages.

Don't list "to follow" stuff here, the question was past tense.

Cash for Clunkers
That's sending cash, not getting something done.

That's taking an action, but getting something done with regard to that would be--- increased tax revenue. You're mentioning theatre, not results.

When was this?

That's something I suppose, he reduced the availability of vehicular safety :).

Stem-cell funding
That's spending money, not getting results.

That's not something, that's vagueness.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 6:30:39 PM
At 7/19/2011 6:17:24 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Healthcare
I thought most of that was yet to be implemented?

GM Auto loan
That's sending money, not getting something done.

Naming a bill would mean something if modern bills focused on something specific instead of being 10,000 pages.

Don't list "to follow" stuff here, the question was past tense.

That is why it was in (). Because it isn't something that he has done, but something that he has started the process on.

Cash for Clunkers
That's sending cash, not getting something done.

That's taking an action, but getting something done with regard to that would be--- increased tax revenue. You're mentioning theatre, not results.

When was this?

That's something I suppose, he reduced the availability of vehicular safety :).

Stem-cell funding
That's spending money, not getting results.

That's not something, that's vagueness.

Since when is sending money not doing something? It is "something" by definition, and before you counter with "anything is something, the fact that he is farting an average of 14 times a day is him doing something," I'll say that these are things directly related to his "job" as president.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 6:44:20 PM
See what the OP was looking for.

I can't think of anything Obama's done that's been of much value.
Spending the money goes in the credit column, not the debit (value) column. It's the return on spending that goes in the debit column
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 6:59:18 PM

Out of curiosity, what is something that Bush did (outside of national security) of value? I'm not saying he hasn't, I just want to know what sort of metric you're using.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 8:42:57 PM

Regardless of what he's done or not done, you can't be surprised that partisanship blinds both parties from seeing the flaws of their leaders. Republicans were out to get Obama from the beginning. Democrats were out to get Bush from the beginning. People see what they want to see. To any unbiased observer, many of Obama's policies are really just Bush 2.0. Congrats to you if you can observe that, but don't be surprised that Democrats won't because Obama is their candidate who they want to like and Bush is their enemy, and vice versa for Republicans.

Interestingly, though, I think conservative Republicans are far more willing to stand up for what they really believe in and speak out against their party/President than are liberal Democrats.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:44:12 PM
Not saying whether each was good or bad: Bush passed the prescription drug coverage by bipartisan agreement, expanded the Federal role in education by bipartisan agreement, led the recovery from 9/11, set up the Homeland Security Department and established its functions in preventing terrorist attacks, determined the method of dealing with captured terrorists by confinement in GITMO and trials by military tribunal, started the war in Afghanistan which drove al Qaeda out of that country, forced Kadaffi to abandon trying to make nuclear weapons, deposed Saddam and helped establish the first Muslim democratic government, passed tax cuts, passed TARP, and unsuccessfully attempted to reign in Freddie and Fannie.

Obama's major legislative accomplishments are the Stimulus Plan and Healthcare, but also the Dodd-Frank financial regulation law. He has expanded the size of the Federal Government by 30%, and greatly expanded regulatory control of the economy. He killed tort reform and put a union lawyer in charge of the NRLB, expanding union power. He voted "present" during the BP oil spill. He defeated the construction of an effective border fence. He has effectively stopped the expansion of the oil, coal, and nuclear industries, and expanded subsidies for wind, solar, and ethanol. He continued Bush policies in Iraq and Afghanistan. He tried and failed to find a substitute for the GITMO/military tribunal process for dealing with captured terrorists. He ended CIA interrogations and restored the Clinton policy of rendition.

I think Obama qualifies as the worst president in modern times by so increasing the burden of government on business and the fear of more goernment that economic recovery, ordinarily a natural bounce back from recession, has stalled. Small businesses are waiting for the new burdens of healthcare costs to become clear, for uncertainty in energy prices to clear, and in fear of more regulations. Large business have similar fears, but have the option to expand overseas rather than in the US.
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:50:14 PM
At 7/19/2011 10:44:12 PM, RoyLatham wrote:
He has expanded the size of the Federal Government by 30%, and greatly expanded regulatory control of the economy.

Just curious, what exactly does it mean that he expanded the size of government by 30%, and by what standards?
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/19/2011 10:51:56 PM
He has expanded the size of the Federal Government by 30%, and greatly expanded regulatory control of the economy.

What exactly does it mean that he expanded the size of government by X%? Says who and by what standards?
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:00:14 AM

I think Obama qualifies as the worst president in modern times by so increasing the burden of government on business and the fear of more goernment that economic recovery, ordinarily a natural bounce back from recession, has stalled. Small businesses are waiting for the new burdens of healthcare costs to become clear, for uncertainty in energy prices to clear, and in fear of more regulations. Large business have similar fears, but have the option to expand overseas rather than in the US.

I think republican doomsday rhetoric has a lot to do with this fear.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:11:53 AM
At 7/19/2011 10:50:14 PM, jat93 wrote:
Just curious, what exactly does it mean that he expanded the size of government by 30%, and by what standards?

By number of employees. Washington D.C. is the only major city where real estate prices have not dropped. Of course, by government spending as well.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:16:18 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:01:17 AM, FREEDO wrote:
http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com...

first thing that brought me:
Issued executive order to close the prison at Guantanamo Bay

So I did a little research:

http://isgitmoclosedyet.com...
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 12:23:19 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:00:14 AM, Double_R wrote:

Do you know anyone, anywhere, who claims to know what Obamacare will really cost business? How about the consequences of forcing green energy, which is about five times as expensive as the old fashioned kind? How about interest rates when the effect of printing a couple of trillion extra dollars hits? Business people have to worry about the real stuff, not just calming talk of everything being just fine.

Incidentally, it's not true that Obama was bitterly opposed by Republicans from the start. He said very little other than the wonderfulness of hope, change, bipartisanship, and transparency during the campaign. Many thought he might be pragmatic like Bill Clinton who ultimately worked o a bipartisan basis with Gingrich to accomplish free trade, welfare reform, and a balanced budget. The unraveling started when Obamacare was pushed through using backroom deals without bipartisan support.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 1:08:22 AM

Not closing the bush tax cuts? Yep.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 1:22:13 AM

Healthcare
Because we should all be required to buy insurance
GM Auto loan
Since when should government's own car companies? If a company is failing let them fail, do not reward bad business practices.
Putting us further into debt
He started to but in the process got us into anther war
Cash for Clunkers
I don't know anyone who doesn't admit that was a colossal failure.
Don't have enough info on this
Again I would have to look into it further.
If your car is not fuel efficient then you pay more for gas that should be the only incentive needed.
Stem-cell funding
You have to distinguish adult and embryonic stem cells the former has done a lot of good the latter nothing.
How so?

These are just some.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with or support these, but these are things that got done.

Yes he has done a lot but it was mostly all bad, and much of it was just taking what Bush did and make it worse.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike
Double_R
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 1:36:59 AM
At 7/20/2011 12:23:19 AM, RoyLatham wrote:

Do you know anyone, anywhere, who claims to know what Obamacare will really cost business? How about the consequences of forcing green energy, which is about five times as expensive as the old fashioned kind? How about interest rates when the effect of printing a couple of trillion extra dollars hits?

Actually no I don't. Do you?

Business people have to worry about the real stuff, not just calming talk of everything being just fine.

Yes they do have to worry about real stuff. The point of my comment was to highlight the fact that the same people who run around like Chicken Little yelling "the sky is falling" are the same people who blame Obama for the fear and uncertainty in the economy. Look at what Republicans are doing now with the debt ceiling. Complaining about uncertainty on Wall St. meanwhile this entire "crisis" is their own creation.
unlockable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:09:32 AM
RoyLatham's post about President Bush's accomplishments neglected to mention No Child Left Behind, PEPFAR, Community Health Centers, PATRIOT Act, withdrawing from the Kyoto Protocol, withdrawing from the ABM Treaty (I think), the ban on federal financing of embryonic stem cell research, the executive order enabling targeted assassination of international terrorists by UAV, abstaining from the International Criminal Court, and negotiating free trade pacts with South Korea, Panama(?), and Columbia, which Democrats have yet to pass. For what it's worth, President Bush also attempted Social Security reform and Immigration reform.

At 7/19/2011 10:51:56 PM, jat93 wrote:
What exactly does it mean that he expanded the size of government by X%? Says who and by what standards?

See http://online.wsj.com...

One metric is annual government spending as a fraction of GDP. Its peak under President Bush was 20.7% of GDP in 2008, but now under Obama the federal government spends about 25% of GDP. Moreover, under President Bush, outstanding federal debt was about 40% of GDP, while under President Obama it is about 70% of GDP.

Also, someone earlier stated that President Obama deserves credit for drawing down troops in Iraq and for future drawdowns in Afghanistan. I have to disagree: the Iraq drawdown is being performed under the terms of the Status of Forces Agreement, an international treaty negotiated by Presidents Bush and Maliki. Obama is following the schedule that Bush negotiated in the treaty, not accelerating or decelerating anything within it. In Aghanistan, Obama's decision was actually to increase the troop presence there with a half-surge. Now he is discussing future withdrawals.

Have people mentioned the following Obama administration decisions: leading the Libyan war from behind, ordering the asassination of Osama Bin Laden, increasing UAV attacks, STUXNET, prohibiting enhanced interrogation of terrorists, assumption of federally guaranteed student loans, canceling NASA shuttle program, signing the Fair Pay Act, extending the Bush income tax regime, extension of PATRIOT Act, expanding the federal food stamp program, redesigning the food pyramid, hosting a beer summit and slurpee summit, an international apology tour, lifting the ban on federally financed abortion in foreign countries, criminal investigation of CIA interrogators (has this been called off yet?), non-compliance with the War Powers Act, tougher political stance against Israel, outreach to Syria and Iran, canceling the eastern european missile shield, forming USAJOBS.com, weekly youtube addresses, creating new executive advisor positions (e.g. "green jobs czar"), "Race to the Top", revealing a long-form birth certificate . . . what else?

Some things that haven't happened but for which he is sometimes credited include banning the executive appointment of lobbyists, decriminalizing marijuana use, increasing executive and legislative transparency, repealing DoMA, permitting gay service in the military (Don't Ask Don't Tell is still in place, right?), reinstituting the fairness doctrine, instituting a carbon tax and/or cap & trade, passing a DREAM Act, eliminating secret ballots in union elections . . . anything else that the President is inaccurately credited for?
unlockable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:42:04 AM
At 7/20/2011 1:36:59 AM, Double_R wrote:

Do you know anyone, anywhere, who claims to know what Obamacare will really cost business? How about the consequences of forcing green energy, which is about five times as expensive as the old fashioned kind? How about interest rates when the effect of printing a couple of trillion extra dollars hits?

Nobody "knows" what Obamacare will cost businesses. One cost is the passing onto businesses of excise taxes imposed on insurers, as well as myriad other taxes. Another cost in the Affordable Care Act is that all businesses employing more than fifty full time employees (defined at 30hrs/week or more) must either purchase comprehensive health insurance for each employee or pay a fine of $2000-$3000 per uninsured worker. Besides the obvious cost, there are implicit costs: some companies may trim their workforce down to 49 employees, some may trim their employees' work-hours down to 30, and many will forgo alternative economic opportunities (new hirin, more production, investment in capital, etc.) in order to afford compliance with the ACA (paperwork as well as fines and insurance-based compensation). AT&T, for example, has already accounted for a $1 billion loss due to Obamacare http://www.reuters.com... Costs are also unpredictable because many companies have obtained waivers exempting them from the ACA.

The consequence of forcing green energy is that, to the extent energy becomes more expensive, there will be a corresponding decrease in activities that entail energy consumption, such as certain commercial and industrial pursuits. There will be efficiency gains wherever energy consumers are able to achieve the same amount of utils for less energy.

The consequences of increasing the money supply faster than GDP growth include price inflation, which makes people poorer-per-dollar; increasing interest rates on loans, which makes it more difficult to obtain credit (and therefore to conduct business and make investments); reduced demand for dollar-denominated bonds, which means that American companies will have some increased difficulty soliciting investors and that the American government will have to pay higher interest rates to foreign bondholders in order to encourage them to continue purchasing treasury bonds so that the US government can spend in excess of its revenue.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 8:06:06 AM

http://whatthefuckhasobamadonesofar.com...
unlockable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 10:19:46 AM
At 7/20/2011 8:06:35 AM, comoncents wrote:
Quick answer... a lot.

I just clicked through the whole series on that website. It's only about twice as long as the list I provided but it includes minutiae derived from the big picture items (Obamacare, stimulus, etc.) It also credits him for stuff which hasn't happened yet, such as closing GTMO or increasing Medicare enrollment (2016, according to the website).
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 2:38:48 PM
At 7/20/2011 1:36:59 AM, Double_R wrote:

We have some lower bounds. Obamacare is now a minimum of $1.7 trillion. A fractional dose of green energy in California has electric rates four times that of neighboring states; half the heavy industry has left the state. There are very good reasons to fear.

There are three cable financial news channels: CNBC, Bloomberg, and Fox Business. Listen to any one of them for an hour and you'll hear someone in business expressing fear.

Business people have to worry about the real stuff, not just calming talk of everything being just fine.

Yes they do have to worry about real stuff. The point of my comment was to highlight the fact that the same people who run around like Chicken Little yelling "the sky is falling" are the same people who blame Obama for the fear and uncertainty in the economy. Look at what Republicans are doing now with the debt ceiling. Complaining about uncertainty on Wall St. meanwhile this entire "crisis" is their own creation.

Your argument is that you know that there really is nothing to fear except the possibility of the debt limit not being raised. That's not true. Obama should be genuinely feared.

There is a pattern in leftist government. It's exhibited in Greece, Spain, Portugal and elsewhere. Some countries have pulled back from it, like Canada a few years ago. Britain seems to be shaking it off with substantial pain. The US debt is now at about 100% of GDP. Many put 90% as the greatest safe upper limit. We are roughly 5 to 10 years from a Greece-like collapse. A financial crisis akin to the collapse of the housing bubble could happen any time.

There is, incidentally, no realistic possibility that the US would default. There is about 10 times the income needed to service the debt without any increase in the debt ceiling. With no change, there is authorization for $14.2 trillion in debt. Obama is playing up the debt ceiling as potential Armageddon, not the Republicans.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 3:55:37 PM
OK, I'm not keeping a list of the things or anything but man that guy is a douche...
1. Ran over my cat Daisy. I was going to ride a tandem with her that day too...
2. Is behind the gym teacher-reptile-gnome conspiracy
3. Borrowed my gondola. He sunk it.
4. He eats babies and old people
5. Facebook statuses are either all in caps or song lyrics
6. Helped me battle the empire. Then got with my sister.
7. Parsecs are not a unit of time wanker and you probably didn't even shoot first
8. Also remember the time you got me to tell everyone that your shaving cut was from a knife fight. Not even your mum believed that.
9. You always chunder before we even reach the club.
10. You bought every single lady gaga album
11. Also remember that time we met Rick Astley? And then you threw up on him? Yeah.
12. Also all those songs you write in third person, we all know they are about you
13. You made sure that Firefly never got a second series
14. Your hat really isn't working for me

You know what barry? This isn't working out. I don't think you are welcome as a crew member of my sky-ship any more.
TheAtheistAllegiance
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 5:36:20 PM

Incidentally, it's not true that Obama was bitterly opposed by Republicans from the start. He said very little other than the wonderfulness of hope, change, bipartisanship, and transparency during the campaign. Many thought he might be pragmatic like Bill Clinton who ultimately worked o a bipartisan basis with Gingrich to accomplish free trade, welfare reform, and a balanced budget. The unraveling started when Obamacare was pushed through using backroom deals without bipartisan support.

http://en.wikipedia.org...

This bill had the most profound effects on the budget during the 90's, and it passed with no Republican votes. The unraveling of this started when Bush passed trillions in tax cuts.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 5:43:42 PM
At 7/20/2011 3:55:37 PM, Thaddeus wrote:
OK, I'm not keeping a list of the things or anything but man that guy is a douche...
1. Ran over my cat Daisy. I was going to ride a tandem with her that day too...
2. Is behind the gym teacher-reptile-gnome conspiracy
3. Borrowed my gondola. He sunk it.
4. He eats babies and old people
5. Facebook statuses are either all in caps or song lyrics
6. Helped me battle the empire. Then got with my sister.
7. Parsecs are not a unit of time wanker and you probably didn't even shoot first
8. Also remember the time you got me to tell everyone that your shaving cut was from a knife fight. Not even your mum believed that.
9. You always chunder before we even reach the club.
10. You bought every single lady gaga album
11. Also remember that time we met Rick Astley? And then you threw up on him? Yeah.
12. Also all those songs you write in third person, we all know they are about you
13. You made sure that Firefly never got a second series
14. Your hat really isn't working for me

You know what barry? This isn't working out. I don't think you are welcome as a crew member of my sky-ship any more.:

Hilarious!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2011 5:46:05 PM
Obama completely ruined and destroyed my childhood dreams so......fvck him
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message