Jump to topic:

How debates were done hundreds of years ago

ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 9:17:55 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I recently completed a debate where each contender played roles of retrospective historical characters from the 18th century. My opponent had the upper hand on facts, sources, arguments, and antiquated Irish lingo, but I think I had the upper hand on verbal abuse. The advantage of role-playing is that I wouldn't be insulting the participant, but instead the participant's character.

A Debate from beyond the Grave: James Annesley was a Villain not a Victim (http://www.debate.org...)

Such rhetorical behavior is not out of character of gentlemen of the 18th century, actually. This YouTube video reflects the dirtiest known political campaign slams that existed between candidates Thomas Jefferson and John Adams.

Political campaigns of the modern era are much too civil. I would prefer to see them get dirtier. When the lackeys of political opponents lie about a candidate, the candidate should defend himself or herself and return fire mercilessly.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 10:20:21 AM
At 7/21/2011 10:02:42 AM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 7/21/2011 9:36:53 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
bring back deuls for disputes.

That was for honor if you called someone a liar.

when doesn't calling someone a liar happen in politics? Oh wait, they wouldn't duel because of the "honor" thing, or lack there of.

Darn, but it would be nice if they thinned their own herd a bit.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 12:40:34 PM
Goddamned political correctness. American politics are so lamely civil now. Jon Stewart pointed out last night on the Daily Show that a bunch of MP's were shouting out insults at Prime Minister David Cameron and he came home from a trip abroad to get in front of Parliament and pretty much give them all the finger. It was awesome. They were all like "f**k you" and he was like "no, f**k you!" But today, someone shouts out "you lie" to President Obama and our media flips the hell out. Come on people, grow a pair.

"But that hearing was yesterday, and today brought in new footage of angry, shouting MPs assailing Prime Minister Cameron. "That's awesome!" Stewart shouted, reminding Americans of what our Congress is like: "remember when someone yelled ‘you lie' during out State of the Union?" Good memories. He also made a point of noting that Cameron had actually had to leave a trip to Africa to return for the hearing. "Our guy stars a war," Stewart griped, "and we can still only get him on voicemail."" (from the following article - http://www.mediaite.com...)
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 1:43:35 PM
while showing emotional outrage can be good for stirring the base, it doesn't really do anything towards a logical discussion on what is best for the country.

Though it makes for great TV!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 7:37:31 PM
British Parliament is way to loud and rude. I couldn't imagine watching the american congress like that now.

When things are done more civilly, it gives the illusion that the government is less corrupt.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2011 7:57:05 PM
We should do it like the British do
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike