Jump to topic:

Racial Profiling (In my case)

Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:10:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I am a cashier at Food Lion (a grocery store) and practically every time a person who has black skin and/or looks like he/she is African American comes into my line, I hit the foodstamps button for the method of payment.

Is this justifiable profiling since it always works for me? I have done it a total of 56 times now and I havn't gotten it wrong except for when one tells me that their foodstamps money is out and they will pay the rest in cash.

Is this justifiable racism from most of your perspectives?

Or is this profiling that I'm doing unjustifiable since it is racism or for some other reason that you can come up with?

I'm interested to hear what you might think.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:13:37 AM
It will be fine until you get to the awkward moment where someone actually didn't intend to pay with food stamps. Your stereotype then has the potential to ruin their day.

http://www.youtube.com...
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:21:03 AM
At 7/29/2011 10:13:37 AM, mongeese wrote:
It will be fine until you get to the awkward moment where someone actually didn't intend to pay with food stamps. Your stereotype then has the potential to ruin their day.

Haha, interesting video.

But the customer in my line never realizes that I ever hit the foodstamp button, and they will only notice it if they ever pay in Foodstamps because then the transaction will be completed.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:39:36 AM
Paying with food stamps is undignified, demeaning and humiliating. These people may well be unemployed through no fault of their own and may, over the years, have contributed far more than the cost of their welfare through their taxes.

The unemployed are not all grasping, work-shy scroungers and they shouldn't be treated as such.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:47:08 AM
At 7/29/2011 10:21:03 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:

Haha, interesting video.

But the customer in my line never realizes that I ever hit the foodstamp button, and they will only notice it if they ever pay in Foodstamps because then the transaction will be completed.

In that case, you just have to avoid allowing your own actions to influence your perception in other parts of life.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 10:55:58 AM
At 7/29/2011 10:10:12 AM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
I am a cashier at Food Lion (a grocery store) and practically every time a person who has black skin and/or looks like he/she is African American comes into my line, I hit the foodstamps button for the method of payment.

Is this justifiable profiling since it always works for me? I have done it a total of 56 times now and I havn't gotten it wrong except for when one tells me that their foodstamps money is out and they will pay the rest in cash.

Or is this profiling that I'm doing unjustifiable since it is racism or for some other reason that you can come up with?

Do you have any non-black food stamps users?

A more accurate test would be to guess food stamps or not on everyone (regardless of skin color) and note what their skin color was, what your guess was (of food stamps or not), and note what the reality was.

If you hit 100% of blacks do food stamps, and 95% of whites do food stamps, then there is no need for "racial" profiling, you just work in a poor neighborhood. If you hit 100% of black do food stamps, and 0% (or some very low %) of whites do food stamps, then that is the reality of where you work.

By the way, tell your AP department to stop taking so many blasted deductions.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 11:50:46 AM
At 7/29/2011 10:39:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Paying with food stamps is undignified, demeaning and humiliating. These people may well be unemployed through no fault of their own and may, over the years, have contributed far more than the cost of their welfare through their taxes.

Yeah, it's possible. I happen to have a cousin though who is 22 years old, white, unemployed and somehow collects food stamps. I let him move in with me (rent free) for awhile, and saw that he would literally trade his food stamps for cash at the corner store (say sell $40 worth of stamps for $20) so that he could use that money to buy weed. When he did actually use them for food, I highly doubt he felt humiliated. I finally had to kick him out because I saw that his free ride wasn't motivating him at ALL to do anything productive with his life.

Now, this isn't meant to be used as an anecdotal argument against leftist policies. However I'm a leftist in politics; not necessarily policies. I recognize a lot of social programs as unproductive even though I find conservative economics inherently flawed as well.

The unemployed are not all grasping, work-shy scroungers and they shouldn't be treated as such.

He's not treating them poorly though; just making assumptions that will likely not affect the customers at all.

To answer the OP, I don't think your racial profiling is harmful but it's a little silly. It's also not indicative of anything you're probably assuming. I find it very hard to believe that EVERY black customer uses food stamps by the way.
President of DDO
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 12:08:17 PM
Is OP trolling?

What I hate about history. We have black people as slaves for a few centuries, and we suddenly free them, and expect them to not be in slums, unemployed, etc.

Same goes with Europe. Colonists raped Africa and now look. Those unstable regimes are now harboring terrorists or have tons of emigrants fleeing to Europe. Off topic but true.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 12:27:50 PM
At 7/29/2011 11:50:46 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 7/29/2011 10:39:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

Yeah, it's possible. I happen to have a cousin though who is 22 years old, white, unemployed and somehow collects food stamps. I let him move in with me (rent free) for awhile, and saw that he would literally trade his food stamps for cash at the corner store (say sell $40 worth of stamps for $20) so that he could use that money to buy weed. When he did actually use them for food, I highly doubt he felt humiliated. I finally had to kick him out because I saw that his free ride wasn't motivating him at ALL to do anything productive with his life.

Now, this isn't meant to be used as an anecdotal argument against leftist policies. However I'm a leftist in politics; not necessarily policies. I recognize a lot of social programs as unproductive even though I find conservative economics inherently flawed as well.

He's not treating them poorly though; just making assumptions that will likely not affect the customers at all.

To answer the OP, I don't think your racial profiling is harmful but it's a little silly. It's also not indicative of anything you're probably assuming. I find it very hard to believe that EVERY black customer uses food stamps by the way.

I didn't say every black customer uses food stamps, note that one cashier at a grocery store is a seems a little silly.

There are probably black customers that don't use foodstamps, but I'm just saying that I havn't encountered any yet.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 12:28:36 PM
At 7/29/2011 12:08:17 PM, Rockylightning wrote:
Is OP trolling?
How and/or why do you think that I'm trolling?

What I hate about history. We have black people as slaves for a few centuries, and we suddenly free them, and expect them to not be in slums, unemployed, etc.

Same goes with Europe. Colonists raped Africa and now look. Those unstable regimes are now harboring terrorists or have tons of emigrants fleeing to Europe. Off topic but true.
Extremely-Far-Right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 12:30:00 PM
At 7/29/2011 10:55:58 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Do you have any non-black food stamps users?
Yes, we have some non-black food stamps users. Although the vast majority of them are minorites.

A more accurate test would be to guess food stamps or not on everyone (regardless of skin color) and note what their skin color was, what your guess was (of food stamps or not), and note what the reality was.

If you hit 100% of blacks do food stamps, and 95% of whites do food stamps, then there is no need for "racial" profiling, you just work in a poor neighborhood. If you hit 100% of black do food stamps, and 0% (or some very low %) of whites do food stamps, then that is the reality of where you work.
Yea, the second one.

By the way, tell your AP department to stop taking so many blasted deductions.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 1:49:33 PM
If you worked in Milwaukee, where over 50% of the 16-64 y.o. black male population is unemployed, then it wouldn't be much of a guess.
Rob
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 4:39:02 PM

Or is this profiling that I'm doing unjustifiable since it is racism or for some other reason that you can come up with?:

There's a reason why stereotypes exist. That said, not everyone can be compartmentalized by their demographic.

It seems to me that you're noticing a pattern and nothing else, so I'm not really seeing a problem. It would be one thing to go up to one of your black patrons and told them where the food stamp function was, i.e. assuming they were on food stamps before they made that known. That would probably be considered incredibly offensive, and could potentially get your fired.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 4:50:06 PM
Is OP trolling?

What I hate about history. We have black people as slaves for a few centuries, and we suddenly free them, and expect them to not be in slums, unemployed, etc.:

Uh, yeah, but that was 150 years ago, and not one single black person living today was ever a slave.

Same goes with Europe. Colonists raped Africa and now look.:

Oh, come on... Not every African country has been colonialized, and the outcome is virtually identical across the continent. And what's Liberia's excuse? The United States purchased Liberia and gave it to former slaves as a form of reparations. Something like 3% of the freedmen actually went back to their native homeland and have done jack sh*t with it. It's descended into a 3rd world shithole.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 5:05:05 PM

Seeing as how the biggest psychological blow you could deal would be delaying the customer by pressing several buttons on a cash register, I can't say I see a huge problem.

Now, if a huge blinking sign saying "foodstamps" comes on, or you search them to make sure they aren't carrying foodstamps, then there may be more to talk about.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2011 11:23:38 PM

I can't see the video but as long as it agrees with what you posted, then I agree with this.

OP, your racism is unjustified. You've taken your observation of "all people who use food stamps are black" and somehow flipped it to "all black people use food stamps".

If that's not a logical fallacy, I don't know what is.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 12:07:42 AM
first of all, i find it highly unlikely that every black person that has ever come through your line has used food stamps.

even taking that as a given, however, as a cashier it makes no sense to enter the payment method before the customer tells you what they want to pay with, since the reward for being right is maybe half a second saved time, and being wrong wastes at least 1-2 seconds.

if you wanna play that little game in your head, go right ahead, but it doesn't make any sense to me. even though theres nothing technically wrong with it, it does seem like you are trying to be controversial and get someone pissed at you by sharing it. lol

look at the numbers:
approximately 13% of americans are black
approximately 14% of americans are on food stamps
approximately 1/3 of food stamp recipients are black

if you do the math, it works out to be around 35% of black americans on food stamps. i am curious to know why your area has such an over-representative portion of them. i'm surprised you're not curious as well.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 12:39:02 AM
At 7/29/2011 4:50:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Is OP trolling?

What I hate about history. We have black people as slaves for a few centuries, and we suddenly free them, and expect them to not be in slums, unemployed, etc.:

Uh, yeah, but that was 150 years ago, and not one single black person living today was ever a slave.

Same goes with Europe. Colonists raped Africa and now look.:

Oh, come on... Not every African country has been colonialized, and the outcome is virtually identical across the continent. And what's Liberia's excuse? The United States purchased Liberia and gave it to former slaves as a form of reparations. Something like 3% of the freedmen actually went back to their native homeland and have done jack sh*t with it. It's descended into a 3rd world shithole.

I agree. This is hard evidence that white people are superior to blacks.

The echoes of territorial colonization are fading, while economic colonization has been ongoing.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 12:41:31 AM
At 7/29/2011 12:28:36 PM, Extremely-Far-Right wrote:
Is OP trolling?
How and/or why do you think that I'm trolling?

Your blatantly false numbers.
Rockylightning
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 12:43:40 AM
@pad lost's first point.

Yeah, but they've been the scapegoat minority since. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone is perfect. In my opinion if black people were in the position white people are in, we would act the same way.
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 6:58:15 AM
At 7/30/2011 12:07:42 AM, belle wrote:
first of all, i find it highly unlikely that every black person that has ever come through your line has used food stamps.

even taking that as a given, however, as a cashier it makes no sense to enter the payment method before the customer tells you what they want to pay with, since the reward for being right is maybe half a second saved time, and being wrong wastes at least 1-2 seconds.

if you wanna play that little game in your head, go right ahead, but it doesn't make any sense to me. even though theres nothing technically wrong with it, it does seem like you are trying to be controversial and get someone pissed at you by sharing it. lol

look at the numbers:
approximately 13% of americans are black
approximately 14% of americans are on food stamps
approximately 1/3 of food stamp recipients are black

if you do the math, it works out to be around 35% of black americans on food stamps. i am curious to know why your area has such an over-representative portion of them. i'm surprised you're not curious as well.

It's a really poor area with a large/majority black population? A ghetto of sorts? You could have thought for 1-2 seconds and reached that possible conclusion yourself, rather than now having to read my reply, and possibly a reply from the OP too, which has cost you at least 3-4 seconds. Who's wasting time now?
Pozzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 7:00:33 AM
At 7/30/2011 12:43:40 AM, Rockylightning wrote:
@pad lost's first point.

Yeah, but they've been the scapegoat minority since. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone is perfect. In my opinion if black people were in the position white people are in, we would act the same way.

This post feels oddly racist in a way that I can't quite put my finger on.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 8:45:12 AM
It's a really poor area with a large/majority black population? A ghetto of sorts? You could have thought for 1-2 seconds and reached that possible conclusion yourself, rather than now having to read my reply, and possibly a reply from the OP too, which has cost you at least 3-4 seconds. Who's wasting time now?:

But that still would do little to explain why a disproprtionate amount of the black population lives in ghettos.

So it sends us right back to square 1.
belle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 11:48:39 AM
At 7/30/2011 6:58:15 AM, Pozzo wrote:
It's a really poor area with a large/majority black population? A ghetto of sorts? You could have thought for 1-2 seconds and reached that possible conclusion yourself...

that can't be right. he said around 50 black people have come through his line. if it was a majority black population the number would be higher. if it was just because its an overall poor area, more white people would be on food stamps, whereas he said that the majority of whites he encounters are NOT on food stamps.so clearly its not that simple.
evidently i only come to ddo to avoid doing homework...
feverish
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2011 4:01:05 PM
At 7/29/2011 4:50:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Oh, come on... Not every African country has been colonialized

Not quite, but pretty much. By 1914 only Liberia and Ethiopa were independent. http://en.wikipedia.org...