Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 11:12:57 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://www.bls.gov...
http://data.bls.gov...

Jobs and the economy are what many people are saying are the biggest issues to the american people right now. Everything else kind of takes a back seat to those. But recently, it seems that the budget and debt have taken priority over jobs. Even though we've had 10 months in a row of job growth, with a recent stretch of 646 thousand over 3 months.

The recent growth of 117,000 jobs and continued growth of employee average pay should be a strong indicator that we are moving in the right direction (screw what the stock market says, that's pure speculation anyway).

We can also see that the current job plunge (total job loss about 8.75 million, or 6.34%) that we went through far surpases anything that we've seen before (except the great depression). This was worse then what happened with Bush in 2001 - 2003 (total loss about 2.66 million, or 2.01%), Bush Sr in 90 - 92 (total job loss about 1.58 million, or 1.44%) with Reagan in 81 - 83 (total loss about 1.84 million, or 2.01%), Ford in 74 - 75 (total loss about 2.16 million, or 2.75%).

In fact, since the bottom hit, we've already recovered 1.944 million jobs (or 1.50%). This amount of recovery in any of the other dips that we had would have erased most of them. But each month we make more and more progress, sure they may be only baby steps, and we'll likely never recover as many jobs in a month as we lost in a month (record month of loss being 820,000 between Dec 08 and Jan 09).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 11:55:19 AM

Still isn't really doing to good in Illinois. There is a slight improvement, though the unemployment rate might be creeping back up..

Good thing I have a job now. I'm lucky.

I hardly know anyone who has a job.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 12:19:29 PM
At 8/5/2011 11:55:19 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Still isn't really doing to good in Illinois. There is a slight improvement, though the unemployment rate might be creeping back up..

Is having a job related to luck or skill?

It is interesting that you say you know almost no one that has a job. Statistically, the vast majority of people have jobs, and from my experience (take with a grain of salt) the only people that I know that don't have jobs (and want them) are people that are limiting themselves. Like my mother-in-law that won't apply for any job that might require a drug screening, because she knows that she won't pass, but she won't quit her drugs in order to get a job (and continues to spend money on drugs over rent).

I was let go from downsizing back in December, and had a new job (that paid just as well) by the end of January. I have a lot of friends that work pumping gas or what not for jobs.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 1:43:06 PM
At 8/5/2011 12:19:29 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

It is interesting that you say you know almost no one that has a job. Statistically, the vast majority of people have jobs, and from my experience (take with a grain of salt) the only people that I know that don't have jobs (and want them) are people that are limiting themselves. Like my mother-in-law that won't apply for any job that might require a drug screening, because she knows that she won't pass, but she won't quit her drugs in order to get a job (and continues to spend money on drugs over rent).

I was let go from downsizing back in December, and had a new job (that paid just as well) by the end of January. I have a lot of friends that work pumping gas or what not for jobs.

When I take into account the amount of effort I put into finding a job..

Filling out 5 applications a day(until I ran out of places to go)..

Stopping by these places at least once a week to where they knew be my name..

Was not picky about anything I did, and even did a lot of under the table sweatshop work..

Had open availability, didn't do any drugs, etc..

..Even then, after half a year, no one even called me back. A lot of employers led me on, but never called me back. I ended up getting re-hired at a place I worked at nearly 4 years ago.

I put in the effort. I live on the poverty stricken South Side of Chicago. It's the fuggin ghetto. You go into a place, and ask them how many apps were put in, they almost always say "Over a thousand" or at the very least "hundreds".

I know more unemployed people than employed people. Being unemployed for an extended period of time is not an indicator of laziness. If you don't have any official higher education, I'd imagine that only makes it harder.

Back in the day when my parents grew up, you could walk into a machine shop, ask for a job, and they'd train you and give you a chance. Nowadays, you walk into a machine shop, ask for a job, they'll just throw away your application if you didn't go to trade school.

I'm confident in my ability to do just about any job. I'm a fast learner and consider myself a polymath. That said, no one gives a rats @ss if I didn't buy a piece of paper that says I know sh!t.

Course, now that I have a job, I'm in a stable enough position to go to school(with government loans). Maybe I'll rack up enough debt to make me Uncle Sam's butt slave for life. If I went to school, I'd want to go all the way for a Doctorate.

Problem is what subject to take. Bwaaaaah. I'm interested in too many things.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Tiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 10:39:11 PM

Comment: I have always wondered where these statistical numbers come from. How do these numbers know if I have a job or not? How is everyone accounted for at all times when these numbers are created.The people that are on unemployment only account for a small number of people who are actually unemployed. How are those people accounted for? It would seem to me that the actual number of people who are unemployed or underemployed is far different from what these numbers always reflect.
"Only the inner force of curiosity and wonder about the unknown, or an outer force upon your free will, can brake the shackles of your current perception."
mongoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2011 11:03:03 PM
At 8/5/2011 10:39:11 PM, Tiel wrote:

Comment: I have always wondered where these statistical numbers come from. How do these numbers know if I have a job or not?

They don't.

How is everyone accounted for at all times when these numbers are created.

They aren't.

The people that are on unemployment only account for a small number of people who are actually unemployed. How are those people accounted for? It would seem to me that the actual number of people who are unemployed or underemployed is far different from what these numbers always reflect.

The numbers use a large enough sample of the population to have an extremely small margin of error.
It is odd when one's capacity for compassion is measured not in what he is willing to do by his own time, effort, and property, but what he will force others to do with their own property instead.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 1:02:43 AM
Everyone pays taxes(if they have a legit job, it's automatically deducted from your paycheck).

I'd think that maybe the government at the very least keeps track of how many adults there are, and how many of those adults are paying into taxes.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 1:29:39 AM
unemployment is defined as unable to find work while actively searching. So one may not have a job, but still not be unemployed based on state definition.

Also, question to Cosmic: If you realized that a degree would be important to finding a job, why didn't you go to school?

Also interested why one wouldn't offer human services via marketing oneself on Craigslist rather than relying on an employer for a job.
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 1:45:46 AM
This is also a dick question direced towards cosmicalfonzo but I must ask:
How were you still able to maintain your weight (fat) while you were homeless?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2011 2:21:19 AM
At 8/6/2011 1:45:46 AM, darkkermit wrote:
This is also a dick question direced towards cosmicalfonzo but I must ask:
How were you still able to maintain your weight (fat) while you were homeless?

I didn't. Before I was homeless, I weighed 230 lbs. Yeah, I was a fat mofo. After that, I lost weight, and I dropped down to 160.

I was about 175 last year, but since I've been at my current residence, I'm at about 190. Deep down, I'm still a fat @ss. I like to eat. I live in Chicago, man. The food here is fvcking awesome. I can't help it.