Jump to topic:

If Our Govt Was A Family - Dave Ramsey

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:04:22 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
"If the US Government was a family, they would be making $58,000 a year, they spend $75,000 a year, & are $327,000 in credit card debt. They are currently proposing BIG spending cuts to reduce their spending to $72,000 a year. These are the actual proportions of the federal budget & debt, reduced to a level that we can understand." - Dave Ramsey

Nancy Cronk, a writer at the Huffington Post, quotes a facebook friend who wrote the following rebuttal: "If the US Government was a family, it'd be a working Mom trying to take care of millions of kids and pets while paying all the bills and doing the cleaning and house maintenance. Meanwhile the abusive Dad racks up credit card debt on high tech toys and presents for his rich friends, while refusing to help pay ANY of the debt even though he makes money too. Oh, and he is always yelling at the neighbors and sometimes beating them up. The question is, which parent should we kids call the cops on?"

Incidentally, my uncle posted a somewhat similar response on my facebook page when I posted the Ramsey quote: "This same family would be making more money but the families main breadwinner Dad, got laid off because the corporation he worked for decided to move the business overseas. They are in debt up to their eyeballs because their kids are in expensive private schools, they have a large mortgage and taxes to pay. Since so many Dad's and Mom's are in this same situation less tax revenue is collected. Combine that with the Bush Tax cuts and this is where we are at now."

My question: Do you think Ramsey's comparison is a valid one or is it even more over-simplified than it claims to be? I'm not totally sure what to make of the two rebuttals offered because economics isn't my forte and I've only recently started looking into government spending, debt, deficit, the Bush Tax cuts, etc.
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:19:56 PM
The Mom is the one paying all the bills? That doesn't gain much pity once you realize that her primary source of income is theft.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:20:58 PM
The first rebuttal is absolutely moronic-- rich people have nothing analogous to a marriage to the govt, the gov't is definitely not a "Working mom" ("Daddy" is paying the bills for everything "Mommy" does), the gov't is the one who beats up on the neighbors, not rich people (Mommy beats the neighbors, not daddy). See also: "Democrats want to be your mommy..."

The original example was about as valid as you can get comparing a government to a family-- which isn't great but oh well.

As for the second rebuttal, why aren't they downsizing on the expensive schools, selling the house, etc?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
darkkermit
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 1:25:12 PM
Second rebuttal is stupid because globalization increases wealth. Also, why is the dude need to spend so much on a house and a private school. Couldn't the dude cut back?

Yea, also lol at the mother taking care of a million kids. Apparently adults are kids now. Where was mommy when I was feeling sad and just needed someone to talk to :p?
Open borders debate:
http://www.debate.org...
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 7:29:36 PM
At 8/9/2011 1:25:12 PM, darkkermit wrote:
Second rebuttal is stupid because globalization increases wealth. Also, why is the dude need to spend so much on a house and a private school. Couldn't the dude cut back?

Yea, also lol at the mother taking care of a million kids. Apparently adults are kids now. Where was mommy when I was feeling sad and just needed someone to talk to :p?

Bombing arabs.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
BennyW
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 7:36:20 PM
At 8/9/2011 12:04:22 PM, jat93 wrote:
"If the US Government was a family, they would be making $58,000 a year, they spend $75,000 a year, & are $327,000 in credit card debt. They are currently proposing BIG spending cuts to reduce their spending to $72,000 a year. These are the actual proportions of the federal budget & debt, reduced to a level that we can understand." - Dave Ramsey

Nancy Cronk, a writer at the Huffington Post, quotes a facebook friend who wrote the following rebuttal: "If the US Government was a family, it'd be a working Mom trying to take care of millions of kids and pets while paying all the bills and doing the cleaning and house maintenance. Meanwhile the abusive Dad racks up credit card debt on high tech toys and presents for his rich friends, while refusing to help pay ANY of the debt even though he makes money too. Oh, and he is always yelling at the neighbors and sometimes beating them up. The question is, which parent should we kids call the cops on?"

Incidentally, my uncle posted a somewhat similar response on my facebook page when I posted the Ramsey quote: "This same family would be making more money but the families main breadwinner Dad, got laid off because the corporation he worked for decided to move the business overseas. They are in debt up to their eyeballs because their kids are in expensive private schools, they have a large mortgage and taxes to pay. Since so many Dad's and Mom's are in this same situation less tax revenue is collected. Combine that with the Bush Tax cuts and this is where we are at now."

My question: Do you think Ramsey's comparison is a valid one or is it even more over-simplified than it claims to be? I'm not totally sure what to make of the two rebuttals offered because economics isn't my forte and I've only recently started looking into government spending, debt, deficit, the Bush Tax cuts, etc.

I think the original analogy is pretty good, also in proportion no one would loan them money if they were a family with as much debt. The Huffington Post one actually shows the problem with how the Government is being run. It is not supposed to be like a parent.
You didn't build that-Obama
It's pretty lazy to quote things you disagree with, call it stupid and move on, rather than arguing with the person. -000ike