Jump to topic:

Bush Tax Cuts

jat93
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 12:09:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did the Bush Tax cuts produce sufficient revenue in order to be considered successful? Annoyingly, every single response I've ever gotten about the Bush Tax cuts seems to be about peoples' view of taxes in general. I.e my conservative friends will support it because they believe that lowering taxes for people in general is good for the economy, my liberal friends oppose it because lowering taxes means the rich who "should be able to afford it" aren't paying "their fair share" and it ends up only benefitting higher earning households while shafting the middle and lower classes. So, did they produce legitimate growth or did they only benefit the wealthy?
HandsOff
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 9:10:23 PM
At 8/9/2011 12:09:16 PM, jat93 wrote:
Did the Bush Tax cuts produce sufficient revenue in order to be considered successful? Annoyingly, every single response I've ever gotten about the Bush Tax cuts seems to be about peoples' view of taxes in general. I.e my conservative friends will support it because they believe that lowering taxes for people in general is good for the economy, my liberal friends oppose it because lowering taxes means the rich who "should be able to afford it" aren't paying "their fair share" and it ends up only benefitting higher earning households while shafting the middle and lower classes. So, did they produce legitimate growth or did they only benefit the wealthy?

The reason no one talks about the effectiveness of exorbitant taxation is because the last thing taxation should be based on is whether or not it covers our ability to spend irresponsible. If government were fulfilling the very few purposes for which it was intended, tax rates would be so low they would never come up in conversation.
seraine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2011 10:03:31 PM
At 8/9/2011 9:10:23 PM, HandsOff wrote:
At 8/9/2011 12:09:16 PM, jat93 wrote:

The reason no one talks about the effectiveness of exorbitant taxation is because the last thing taxation should be based on is whether or not it covers our ability to spend irresponsible. If government were fulfilling the very few purposes for which it was intended, tax rates would be so low they would never come up in conversation.

I like this.

Success in most politics is wasting more money so you can hike up taxes.

Are they successful? I can't really help you on that.

Also, libertarianism ftw.